Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 02:01 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He had a split-second to act; we have weeks to debate
That cop had the reflexes of a CAT! You or I would still be scratching our ass and trying to determine who the bad guys were.
He saved a girl's life. I hope she knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 02:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
.. and sending this officer to prison for 1-3 years is fair in your eyes?

Yes of course it is. There should be consequences for when your decisions result in people being dead. If the girl was charging at him with a knife I would understand. But as it stands she wasn't. Yes she was attacking someone with a knife. And I do understand its a hard situation. Which is why we should be taking the human element out of these situations in the first place. But if you're going to commit to that level, and this no be self defense. Then you should get time. That's just fair. If at the very least, restitution for the family of the girl who was killed.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Actually self driving cars have to deal with

A) inadequecies with defining geospatial parameters. Geospatial analysis is still an imperfect field. And there are many more situations that come up with driving.

B) Most calls from drones would be a sitaution like this. Where

B1) both suspects are in a static positon. Meaning all information can be captured and accessed

B2) Less objects in the line of site. So the deadly weapon can be identified and disarmed effectively

Also beyond machine learning, camera techology is actually growing at some amazing leaps and bounds. Camera sensor technology is actually growing at a big rate every year in the consumer market. The amount of data and procesing speed of lenses mean that a drone could capture images and assess the situation in literal miliseconds.

I actually think law enforement are way more practical examples of where automation would actually work.

I'm not saying it can resolve 100% of every situation. I believe in the 80/20 rule.
Great. Invent that product and I'm sure you'll be a very rich man.

I won't hold my breath.

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
This is not about whether I would do better or not. I probably wouldn't. That's not the point. Someone is dead. That should not be acceptable, even if it was an extremely hard situation. We have to be able to prove that this was the most optimized and efficient way to handle the situation that minimalized tragedies and didn't endanger the lives of all involved. As it stands now he endangered the lives of 2 people. and took 1. So is that the most optimized way to handle the situation? Probably not. If not, we can do better. And we should do better. And we shouldn't accept anything but the best.

I personally think manual policing is dangerous to both the officer and the citizen. So let's do better. It's 2021, and we're really sitting here arguing the merits of humans with authorized deadly force. Who often make irreversible mistakes. And throwing your hands up and being like "oh well, he did the best he could". That's not good enough. Definitely not good enough for her parents.
Parents had a child who went on to try and stab someone at the tender age of only 16 - what the parents think, is irrelevant.

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
A taser is nowhere near as accurate, fast to get into action, or decisive as a firearm. In a life or death situation, a taser is NOT the proper tool. Tasers are used to disable suspects who are resisting but not in a life threatening way.

a baton is even sillier. No police officer is going to get within arms length of a knife-wielding attacker voluntarily.

The fact that she called the police and then became an aggressor threatening deadly assault is of no matter. She was in the wrong and was dispatched properly. That is reality.
Your point is silly. This is a few yards range. The taser would be more than accurate enough for that. And then we would have no one dead. That is a very big trade off. Resorting to lethal force may well have killed someone guilty only of defending themself.

And you hold that the police should kill anyone using a legal weapon to defend themselves if the perpetrator is threatened? That will put a very different slant on the 2nd and the right to defend ones self.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:04 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Tasers should be taken away from cops. That way there would not be any confusion about what the cop is going to shoot you with.

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Yes of course it is. There should be consequences for when your decisions result in people being dead. If the girl was charging at him with a knife I would understand. But as it stands she wasn't. Yes she was attacking someone with a knife. And I do understand its a hard situation. Which is why we should be taking the human element out of these situations in the first place. But if you're going to commit to that level, and this no be self defense. Then you should get time. That's just fair. If at the very least, restitution for the family of the girl who was killed.
Uhhhhhh butttt....it's a GOOD thing she's dead.

She was going to KILL SOMEONE ELSE.

Why would we put someone in jail for doing the proper thing?

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Great. Invent that product and I'm sure you'll be a very rich man.

I won't hold my breath.

I can invent anything I want to. It's going to be vested interest and politics that would prevent it from getting to the market. Believe it or not, politics are very backwards.

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Would appear though that something like a Taser or even a baton would have been better.
No, it worked out just about perfectly. The would-be murderer got put down before she could hurt anyone.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:05 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Girl’s mother insists her daughter was defending herself when the cot killed her.

Nothing in the video seems to support she was defending herself. She and the male who kicked a girl (?) on the ground appear to be the aggressors.

There is so much that remains unknown at this time. Takes time to sort through the conflicting stories to learn the truth.
It is possible they weren't the aggressors when the fight started but the policeman had to go on what he saw. When he arrived they were the aggressors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies