Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:16 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

It isn't just Bitcoin that is volatile. Every last one of the cryptocurrencies, they are volatile. Dogecoin went from less than a penny to 0.75 in 3 months. It dropped like a brick last week. I lost over $14,000 in DOGE. Now I'm trying to rebuild what I lost. Of course, everything else in the stock market has run aground too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM

25,714 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Is Bitcoin too volatile to serve as a reliable currency?

Considering that it doesn't exist outside a virtual world............. yes.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I lost over $14,000 in DOGE. Now I'm trying to rebuild what I lost. Of course, everything else in the stock market has run aground too.
You didn’t lose until you sold. You should’ve held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No one is selling their Bitcoin, in bulk, for it to tank.
This didn’t age well. Whales and institutions are absolutely selling their Bitcoin right now, so they can buy it far cheaper latter. It’s literally 35K right now.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Considering that it doesn't exist outside a virtual world............. yes.
Neither does the internet or video games, yet you still pay for it.

People don’t invest in crypto for its value, they invest to make money.

Like Mark Cuban said, “it’s better than a lottery ticket.”

Old 05-19-2021, 08:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Like the last bubble pop in early 2018, this one will result in 90-95% losses in many altcoins. Selling the DOGE now was the right move. Buy it back lower in a year. I'm hoping global governments shut off their central bank's faucets and we get a deflation in all asset prices but I'm not counting on it.

Everybody seems to be on the inflation bandwagon but when everyone says something at the same time, history shows that's the time to do the opposite. Time will tell.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Like the last bubble pop in early 2018, this one will result in 90-95% losses in many altcoins. Selling the DOGE now was the right move. Buy it back lower in a year.
I wouldn’t wait a year, I’m buying all the top 10 coins as soon as the exchanges are no longer freezing up.

Yeah my portfolio is destroyed right now but I’m still buying and holding.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I wouldn’t wait a year, I’m buying all the top 10 coins as soon as the exchanges are no longer freezing up.

Yeah my portfolio is destroyed right now but I’m still buying and holding.

Well tether is still at $1.00 even though it's only backed up with 3% by actual reserves.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I do everything through Robinhood. Crypto has gone wild, and certain crypto I don't get on Robinhood. I'm doing this for money, not as an actual currency.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:42 AM

25,714 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Neither does the internet or video games, yet you still pay for it.

People don’t invest in crypto for its value, they invest to make money.

Like Mark Cuban said, “it’s better than a lottery ticket.”
That's why I posted the last message. A "virtual currency" isn't worth much of anything besides to a "collector." Believe it or not, not everyone is online all the time. In fact, some don't even have computers. "Currency" is something that everyone can put in their pocket and barter for services and goods.

There are a few businesses around here who now take gold and silver as currency (and the recent "goldback" paper money development). That is the direction I would like to see currency going, not in the "non-existent" direction farther than it already is.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-19-2021 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 09:26 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I got into crypto at the exact wrong moment a few weeks ago, but since I am generally pretty risk-averse, I didn't put too much in. What having a little skin in the game did was help me learn to read the markets and develop a working knowledge of some of the coins I decided to invest in, like BTC, ETH, MATIC, ADA, ALGO, and XLM, as well as those that I didn't, like DOGE.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be a big investor after watching my very small portfolio swing +/- $100 in a 12 hour period - I don't have the guts for it - but I do plan to set up a regular investment in a few coins once we find the bottom. And I don't really think we're close yet. I don't think the bear market will be as bad as one a few years ago since I feel like adoption is higher now (but I could be wrong), but I definitely think there is opportunity in the near future. Sudden millionaire opportunity? Doubtful. But I'd just like to be able to round out my first house down payment in a market that is unlikely to cool off much even in a downturn.

But it's a gambler's "investment," not a store of currency for most of us. I think the latter may be more of a gamechanger for people in developing nations with severe unrest, like Venezuela, where easily investing in stablecoins may be a safer bet than the local banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies