Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 03:25 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

I typed in "St. Louis" in Google. These were some of the stories to come up. Arson and carjacking.
https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/st...of-st-charles/
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/cr...7-20aacd557cf4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:08 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ask yourself this. Where did such a ghetto culture come from? I'd go read up on Thomas Sowell to get an idea.

I would take this case by case. St. Louis is really bad. I also think about this. Atlanta is 52% Black, and therefore, majority Black. Atlanta's homicide rate was trending downward during the 2010s and is about 4 times lower than St. Louis (even with the recent crime wave of 2020). In fact, I think about this.

Missouri demographics
81% White
12% Black
3% Hispanic
2% Asian
Missouri's murder rate: 9.3 per 100,000

Georgia demographics
52% White
32% Black
10% Hispanic
4% Asian
Georgia's murder rate: 6.2 per 100,000

Both states have murder rates above the national average. However, Missouri is in the top 5 for murder. Georgia's murder rate is markedly lower (it's lower than that of Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Illinois). Georgia has far more Blacks than Missouri. Atlanta is majority Black. And yet, both St. Louis and Missouri have much higher murder rates than Atlanta or Georgia.

Black homicide rate for Missouri (2017): 57.3 per 100,000
Black homicide rate for Georgia (2017): 14.92 per 100,000

Missouri has often recorded the highest Black homicide rates in the country over the last 14 years. Other states that have cracked #1 for Black homicide rates include Nebraska, Pennsylvania, and Indiana.

A good question is this. What are the dynamics going on in Missouri (and St. Louis) that aren't as prevalent in Georgia (and Atlanta)? Why does Atlanta seem to be doing better than St. Louis?

I have tremendous respect for Sowell. Didn't he say that ghetto culture came from the area in England where most early white immigrants came from?

Do you have a theory on why Georgia's black homicide rate is so much lower than Missouri?

Old 07-01-2021, 04:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
St Louis' population has officially dropped below 295K, so it is no longer eligible to be on these lists...
100,000 is the baseline for most events/ population rankings. Thus, places like Gary and Camden and dozens of others don’t show even though some wold make top 5-10.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:13 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
It's a culture of victimhood, of teaching a group of children to hate police, of not emphasizing active fatherhood, of expecting the government to pay your way and give you free stuff, and of saying the white man held you back 150 years ago.

This is toxic and leads to massive crime and no hope.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
100,000 is the baseline for most events/ population rankings. Thus, places like Gary and Camden and dozens of others don’t show even though some wold make top 5-10.
I'm saying, for this particular list, the criteria is a city proper population of at least 300K.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I have tremendous respect for Sowell. Didn't he say that ghetto culture came from the area in England where most early white immigrants came from?

Do you have a theory on why Georgia's black homicide rate is so much lower than Missouri?
Ghetto culture is basically an offshoot of 19th century/early 20th century redneck culture. And it did originally come from the the Borderland areas between England and Scotland.

I think with Georgia, the Black population is highly spread out. Alot of Black people live in rural areas in Georgia. And but even Atlanta isn't nearly as violent as St. Louis. Atlanta has managed to attract and maintain a decent-size Black middle class. St. Louis, middle class Black people are leaving. In fact, many middle class Blacks seem to be leaving Missouri altogether.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:28 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It's a culture of victimhood, of teaching a group of children to hate police, of not emphasizing active fatherhood, of expecting the government to pay your way and give you free stuff, and of saying the white man held you back 150 years ago.

This is toxic and leads to massive crime and no hope.
Exactly.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'm saying, for this particular list, the criteria is a city proper population of at least 300K.
St. Louis no longer qualifies for that list based on population. I'm not all that surprised. St. Louis proper has been in decline for so long it was only a matter of time.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:12 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Just curious.

Why do these largely Black populated and Black run cities have these problems? Is it the policies they put in place? Is there too much big government or too little government in these cities?
government + Democrats + blacks = death

Old 07-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
government + Democrats + blacks = death
I disagree. Underclass + gangs + "shoot and ask questions later" = death.

Alot of those majority Black cities with alot of crime, have large numbers of the underclass. Alot of the Black middle class has gone to other communities, never to return. Alot of those majority-Black cities are majority Black because alot of other people have left and gone elsewhere. It isn't like Black people living there decided "we're going to build a city along this river and run it ourselves". Many persons living there are those left behind after other people have left.

Consider this. Some Black people get together, establish and plat a town, build it, and run that town. Said persons are there because they built it, and established it. There is going to be more pride taken, more willingness to do better. A sense of ownership.

Consider Lawnside, New Jersey. It is the first independent, self-governing Black municipality north of the Mason-Dixon line. It is not the war zone that we see from alot of St. Louis' Black neighborhoods. Lawnside was established as a historically Black town. You'd be much safer living there than Ferguson or St. Louis.
//www.city-data.com/city/Lawnside-New-Jersey.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies