Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 03:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Got you beat by more than 20 years!

I'd rather watch paint dry.
Haha couldn't of said it better, I think I've actually had paint drying sessions after a long day painting the shed that were more entertaining than what the "Academy Awards" have been for the past 20 years. Hard to think of many things I care about less than privileged Hollywood limousine liberals self congratulating themselves how woke they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 03:32 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Since the mid 90s, several coworkers and I have had annual Oscar bets, with the losers treating the winners to lunch. I used to pick the movies that I actually liked, and I invariably lost. Then I wised up and picked the most woke, preachy movies on offer, and I started winning. But my actual enjoyment of the nominated movies slowly but surely vanished.

We're working remotely so there was no betting this year. Just as well, as I couldn't hope to care less about any of the nominees in recent years, and in fact hadn't even heard of many of them. It was a fun tradition, our annual Oscar bet, but it's time to let it go. And I certainly won't be watching the Academy Awards broadcast. I've got tons and tons of way better things to do.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:34 PM

31,045 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Classic Hollywood is TREMENDOUS.

Current Hollywood is HORRIFIC.

Democrat philosophies have turned a once mighty and productive place into an irrelevant entity.

Kind of like Detroit.
Absolutely. I worked in the Auto Industry, the joke was Detroit wouldn't get worse. That was the 90s. Every time I talk to my friends in the area, they say it has gotten worse

Old 04-24-2021, 03:39 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Lol, like clockwork the annual bash hollywood thread where the usual suspects trip over each other trying to outdo the next with their desperate claims they they could care less about Hollywood. Meanwhile, opening their wallets daily.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:52 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, like clockwork the annual bash hollywood thread where the usual suspects trip over each other trying to outdo the next with their desperate claims they they could care less about Hollywood. Meanwhile, opening their wallets daily.
I despise Hollywood. But I also acknowledge that they occasionally produce a product that I think will be worth seeing, and I'll reward them with my time and my money on those occasions. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:58 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It’s not as big as before because there’s no main event, no red carpet. It’s as simple as that. Duh
Not quite, last year saw a new low. That was before pandemic.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I barely ever cared about the Oscars, then I really didn’t care because I hadn’t seen any of the movies. Now, I really, really don’t care because the show bizzers politics is offensive to me.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:20 PM

1,301 posts, read 666,074 times
I stopped watching the Oscars when Hollywood stopped making good movies.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree. As much as I dislike the "woke" crowd, woke is not the reason for the downfall of the Oscars. It is just coincidental timing. Streaming led to the downfall, and COVID was the final nail in the coffin, with the closure of the movie theaters. There is so much content out there now, content that is viewed at home, that every ethnicity is represented, only, we are all watching different stuff, so the days of the "blockbuster" is over.
I agree. I stopped going to movie theaters years ago, both because of audience behavior and because I prefer the type of movies they don’t show except at art house cinemas, most of which are out of business. When I walk past the movie theater in the mall, it seems like everything is either action/horror or inane comedies, so not really Oscar material.

And many former film directors and actors now have taken their talents to tv.

But I do agree that the woke stuff is stupid. And there is so much hypocrisy. There is a film that got a lot of buzz called Shiva Baby. Had it been made by Woody Allen, critics and viewers would be bemoaning “the same old shtick” and saying it is boring and old at this point and he needs to retire into oblivion. But because it was by a young female director, people thought it was fresh, authentic, funny, and never noted all the Jewish stereotypes (the director is Jewish, so she is allowed to do this).

Years ago I think audiences felt like they were sharing in the awards and could understand why some of the movies won. But now it’s like huh?

Old 04-24-2021, 06:20 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I would rather watch commericals about TP......when watch that crap.
Love Love Love those cute bears. And I am not a racist - I love the blue bears and the red bears equally and with equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies