Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 09:38 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Your post is almost a year old.

Again, tell me what they are THESE days, and please be specific as of RIGHT NOW, and what they are in regards to states across the country?

Old 06-06-2021, 09:38 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What states pay underage teens unemployment while going to high school during COVID?
It’s called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, and it makes unemployment benefits available to people who would normally not qualify for them - including high school students working part time. It’s a federal program. A google search answered the question on the first page.

https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

As I’ve stated elsewhere, part of my job is cashing checks. I’ve seen the number of UE checks go from occasional to frequent to nearly the majority of checks that we cash in any given week. I’m also in charge of hiring and have had multiple people reply to job offers with “I’m not going back to work until the unemployment runs out.” Pay is not the problem, either, as we are far above minimum. Prior to the expanded benefits, we had a dozen or more walk in applicants a week. Now it’s one every couple of weeks, and rarely is it someone even capable of performing such a simple task as showing up on time for an interview. I deal with a lot of business owners, and they are all facing the same issue. Demand is up, which means people have money to spend. Yet people aren’t working. Why would that be?

I’m not going to place all the blame on Biden, as he wasn’t in the Oval Office when the stupidity started, but his administration hasn’t helped by keeping it going either.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It’s called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, and it makes unemployment benefits available to people who would normally not qualify for them - including high school students working part time. It’s a federal program. A google search answered the question on the first page.

https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

As I’ve stated elsewhere, part of my job is cashing checks. I’ve seen the number of UE checks go from occasional to frequent to nearly the majority of checks that we cash in any given week. I’m also in charge of hiring and have had multiple people reply to job offers with “I’m not going back to work until the unemployment runs out.” Pay is not the problem, either, as we are far above minimum. Prior to the expanded benefits, we had a dozen or more walk in applicants a week. Now it’s one every couple of weeks, and rarely is it someone even capable of performing such a simple task as showing up on time for an interview. I deal with a lot of business owners, and they are all facing the same issue. Demand is up, which means people have money to spend. Yet people aren’t working. Why would that be?

I’m not going to place all the blame on Biden, as he wasn’t in the Oval Office when the stupidity started, but his administration hasn’t helped by keeping it going either.
Bingo....however, Sleepy Joe has hugely enhanced the free stuff and it’s gone on way too long.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:21 PM

853 posts, read 336,640 times
Since I actually work in the restaurant industry I thought I would chime in again. As restaurants have returned to normal service in Minnesota and the customers are also returning there is now a desperate labor shortage in our industry.

I worked as a line cook for 10 years and then as an executive chef for 20 so I know a lot of people in the industry. Everyone I know is working, even though they could be collecting unemployment. The caveat is that a lot of them aren't working in restaurants any more. That is where the labor shortage is coming from. The restaurant industry's dirty little secret is that it is a terrible employer with low wages, expectations of staff working crazy work schedules and management behavior that is straight out of the 19th century.

The days of real restaurants employing teenagers are long gone (I haven't seen one since the '90s, I can tell a lot of posters here think it is still like it was in the '60s/'70s). Now restaurants expect a professional level of dedication and skill set from adult employees but still treat them like serfs and pay them nothing (on average). During the pandemic a lot of professional restaurant lifers got a taste of life working in other industries and decided they aren't coming back. That is what is going on.

This is a reckoning for the restaurant industry. It is time for it to grow up and at least enter the 20th century in terms of how it treats its employees. For the first time in decades it actually has to go out and sell itself to workers, and it doesn't know how to do that.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:35 PM

291 posts, read 377,455 times
Servers wages are $2.19 an hour. In my experience the friends that were servers during Covid chose to find other lines of work. With resturaunts having limited capacity and not many people going out for many months they just could not get by with that wage when tips were'nt coming in regularly.Now that Covid restrictions are easing they chose to stay in the other jobs they moved to.

In additon- In all honesty would you rather work more than full time and still not be able to meet your bills anyway because the wages are not liveable or would you opt to take whatever benefits you qualifed for? Beacuse that is the decision that many service workers make when they don't find jobs elsewhere. Hence the lack of wanting to fill those resturaunt jobs.

Min wage in it's beginig was established in order to provide BASICS for those that work full time.

Last edited by Wanderlove; 06-06-2021 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-06-2021, 11:59 PM

8,206 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Right. Should’ve bettered themselves so they could get a job that pays a wage to support their children versus expecting an entry level job to do that, especially since most entry level jobs aren’t hiring folks for 40hrs/week.

Are you saying kids, students, part time workers don’t receive unemployment? Please prove they don’t.
You don't receive unemployment just because you are unemployed.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:48 AM

2,335 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Since I actually work in the restaurant industry I thought I would chime in again. As restaurants have returned to normal service in Minnesota and the customers are also returning there is now a desperate labor shortage in our industry.

I worked as a line cook for 10 years and then as an executive chef for 20 so I know a lot of people in the industry. Everyone I know is working, even though they could be collecting unemployment. The caveat is that a lot of them aren't working in restaurants any more. That is where the labor shortage is coming from. The restaurant industry's dirty little secret is that it is a terrible employer with low wages, expectations of staff working crazy work schedules and management behavior that is straight out of the 19th century.

The days of real restaurants employing teenagers are long gone (I haven't seen one since the '90s, I can tell a lot of posters here think it is still like it was in the '60s/'70s). Now restaurants expect a professional level of dedication and skill set from adult employees but still treat them like serfs and pay them nothing (on average). During the pandemic a lot of professional restaurant lifers got a taste of life working in other industries and decided they aren't coming back. That is what is going on.

This is a reckoning for the restaurant industry. It is time for it to grow up and at least enter the 20th century in terms of how it treats its employees. For the first time in decades it actually has to go out and sell itself to workers, and it doesn't know how to do that.
To be fair, there is no labor shortage. Restaurants could easily staff up right now. They simply don't want to do that at a higher wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
Servers wages are $2.19 an hour. In my experience the friends that were servers during Covid chose to find other lines of work. With resturaunts having limited capacity and not many people going out for many months they just could not get by with that wage when tips were'nt coming in regularly.Now that Covid restrictions are easing they chose to stay in the other jobs they moved to.

In additon- In all honesty would you rather work more than full time and still not be able to meet your bills anyway because the wages are not liveable or would you opt to take whatever benefits you qualifed for? Beacuse that is the decision that many service workers make when they don't find jobs elsewhere. Hence the lack of wanting to fill those resturaunt jobs.

Min wage in it's beginig was established in order to provide BASICS for those that work full time.
You don't say. An employer lays off people and they find other jobs. What a novel concept. And then they're surprised when they are having problems getting those people back.

As it is, plenty of employers were hiring while those restaurants weren't paying their employees. Amazon added 500,000 jobs at $15/hr for instance.

Not to mention that unemployment has dropped from a high of 14% down to 6% (looks like a lot of people are actually not hanging out at home). But let's not let the truth get in the way and keep repeating the same nonsense over and over because a certain news station wants to whine about it

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ate-in-the-us/

Old 06-07-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You don't receive unemployment just because you are unemployed.
Who said you did?

Old 06-07-2021, 07:05 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
All the red states with republican governors dropped the September extension except for Vermont so we will see how this works out in the next few weeks. I'm sure that some are playing the system but there are many factors in the inability to fill jobs, they seem to think this will bring back staffing.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:41 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’m seeing ads for cashier’s at Dunkin Donuts for $17.50 an hour, and they still aren’t getting filled. Do you think a teenager should get paid $50,000 a year to grab a donut out of a case and tell the customer to swipe his credit card?
I think if an owner is not willing to pay what the market demands then he should pull his children out of school and then he will have someone to swipe credit cards and grab donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies