Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:11 AM

5,257 posts, read 6,181,499 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of people who run restaurants and one couple who own a catering businesses. Even among the conservative ones, they make the same points- a lot of folks simply left the industry. Everyone who shut down for Covid (either due to business or due to someone testing positive) lost at least one valued employee. Some simply needed another job ASAP, others decided once they didn't want to go back to those hours/lifestyle after the break.

Also- back of the house people are pretty much revolting because they make the product and front of the house people can basically double their pay with tips. The caterer has had the least problems but say it is because they have more regular hours and pay better. They can also use part time people for wait staff since the majority of their large events are weekends. One cafe/specialty food store combo has basically resorted to hiring all chefs for back of the house function as opposed to a mix. They also shifted more of their baking to outside people. Main owner said the chef move was originally desperation but has worked out really well because they are more productive. One restaurant said the rise in deliveries mean some folks can earn more pulling gig work shifts for the delivery apps.

The other problem is some waitstaff or clerks/floor folks simply grew tired of working with people who lost their mind during the pandemic. On family owned place I frequent has the mom working the register mostly because customers and delivery people were treating staff so poorly- the grandma was German and the mom takes no gruff so anyone wanting to argue about masks/orders/anything is not going to get smoke blown up their rear.

Another thing that gets overlooked is that no one wants to take the 25-30 hour weeks some got used to doling out. If you offer someone true full time hours you really do not need to increase pay that much. The moral of the story is no one wants to work five 6 hour shifts to 10 bucks an hour. Its not the laborers responsibility to prop up businesses people will not pay for their product or managers who will not pay/cannot schedule effectively.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:17 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,734,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nope --- no comparison because I don't support the argument that the shortages are caused by UI benefits.

There are shortages but there has been for some time in many areas.
Just an observance, but in my neck of the woods there were very few jobs to be had pre-pandemic. Now that everything has reopened there arent enough people to fill all the jobs available. Where did they go? Why was this a non issue before the pandemic?

Old 06-07-2021, 12:47 PM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s going away and they’re going to have to get off the couch if they don’t want to get evicted and keep transportation if they’re paying on it.

Thank Sleepy Joe for the free stuff mess. Everyone but the deniers knew what was coming, and he’s going to continue printing, borrowing, and giving away free stuff, while only half the country at best pays taxes.

The dems are worse but under Trump there was a huge amount of disgusting giveaways. Both parties were fine with all the helicopter money.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,952,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Just an observance, but in my neck of the woods there were very few jobs to be had pre-pandemic. Now that everything has reopened there arent enough people to fill all the jobs available. Where did they go? Why was this a non issue before the pandemic?
Because the system was exposed in 2020 and a lot of people don't want to go back to it. Much easier making money using trading apps than being micromanaged at a fast food restaurant.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The dems are worse but under Trump there was a huge amount of disgusting giveaways. Both parties were fine with all the helicopter money.
LMAO. Sleepy Joe is making because Trump look like he was giving away pennies...but because Trump.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Because the system was exposed in 2020 and a lot of people don't want to go back to it. Much easier making money using trading apps than being micromanaged at a fast food restaurant.
Are you saying fast food workers are now making their living on trading apps? Any links to this?

Old 06-07-2021, 01:07 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,295,733 times
Quote:
are you saying that a significant # of people who couldn't find a job pre-Covid, or that became unemployed at the beginning of Covid, instead took their money and smarts to day-trading?

Old 06-07-2021, 01:13 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,952,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are you saying fast food workers are now making their living on trading apps? Any links to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
are you saying that a significant # of people who couldn't find a job pre-Covid, or that became unemployed at the beginning of Covid, instead took their money and smarts to day-trading?
Of course not all of them but some did. Apps like robinhood (which sucks by the way), webull, coinbase, uniswap, etc., made it very easy for everyday people to make money. Like you could have put $100 into some coins back in January 2021 and could have turned that into $20k+ during mid-May before this current bear trap by just holding. Why go back to making tacos or cleaning restrooms for $13 an hour when you can make money this easily while living on unemployment? It's why Elon Musk is being memed so hard by the media because he's being used to introduce more crypto regulations that when compared to those on stocks is pretty unfair.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Of course not all of them but some did. Apps like robinhood (which sucks by the way), webull, coinbase, uniswap, etc., made it very easy for everyday people to make money. Like you could have put $100 into some coins back in January 2021 and could have turned that into $20k+ during mid-May before this current bear trap by just holding. Why go back to making tacos or cleaning restrooms for $13 an hour when you can make money this easily while living on unemployment? It's why Elon Musk is being memed so hard by the media because he's being used to introduce more crypto regulations that when compared to those on stocks is pretty unfair.
Links to these allegations?

Old 06-07-2021, 01:24 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I know a couple of people who run restaurants and one couple who own a catering businesses. Even among the conservative ones, they make the same points- a lot of folks simply left the industry. ...
This is likely to be a bigger problem than anyone recognizes. Jobs are opening up that pay more.

I have an acquaintance who lost his job at the cafeteria in the office building where I used to work. Kitchen work was all he did for years: cooking in the morning and serving at lunch time, making custom hot sandwiches. I know he was at our location for at least five years.

I lost touch with him when first: the kitchen was closed and he was laid off ... then a few weeks later I was laid off. The whole office building of 700 people was closing down.

About five weeks ago he recognized my voice at a service station (we were all wearing masks) and came over ... I didn't even recognize him at first. I was very happy to see him and his car full of kids.

Well he is doing something else now and would not go back to that old job for any money (they called him and he refused), he likes what he is doing a bit more and is making more money. Not hard to imagine, his old job sucked. I would not expect him to stay at his new job if something better comes along, he has a responsibility to take care of his family.

That disruption last year was good for both of us. I got a better paying job too last December, almost 20% more than my previous job (I felt I was underpaid there though). If something better came along today I would again consider it. That's just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.