Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 07:25 PM

18,336 posts, read 8,166,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I’m in WA.
Solar panel composition:

glass (75%), followed by polymer (10%), aluminum (8%), silicon (5%), copper (1%) and small amounts of silver, tin, lead, and other metals and components. Lead and tin, if leached into soil and groundwater cause health and environmental concerns, while copper, silver, and silicon present a value opportunity if recovered efficiently.

If you think a small amount of lead and tin is very toxic, you’ll be horrified by coal plants.
..thousands and thousands of solar panels....millions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 PM

17,217 posts, read 12,105,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..thousands and thousands of solar panels....millions
OK? Is it perfect? No. Is it much better than coal plants? Hell yes.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:53 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
I got something like this in the mail recently too, I opted to stay with the electric/gas company since they anticipated the "green alternative" to cost a little more.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times
Hmmmm How about the solar provider take less profit and sell for the same price as the conventional provider? Isn't that the business model of the left?

My house in the states I built myself. It had a Geothermal heat pump. 16 solar panels and a damned wind Mill that my kids insisted we needed. I put my money where my mouth is. My son has since added another 16 panels and another damned windmill. I say damned because those things love maintenance, a lot of maintenance.

Where I live now I have 12 panels. Money where my mouth is. I dont expect others to subsidize my choices.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:11 PM

26,972 posts, read 15,193,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
`Cars were more expensive than horse and carriages for a long time.
Have you ever fed a horse?

Old 04-24-2021, 08:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Have you ever fed a horse?
Yes I have.

Like many daughters, mine wanted a pony. Like many dad's my answer was no. I had the land and lived where it was reasonably affordable. I also know that with horses comes flies, the need for fencing, etc. Nope I took them to a stable a few miles away to ride. The fad lasted a few months and they moved on. I grew up on a farm and we had horses. They are a lot of work for a little pleasure.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:35 PM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
I would love to get that survey just so I can say HELL NO, NEVER!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2021, 10:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,521,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Solar panels have a life of about 25 years or less. Once they're dead, toxic waste will be left. Very toxic.
That is a LOT of Silly Nonsense.

Standard Commercial Warranty is at least 25 years.

But that is just the Warranty.

Beyond that, they just keep going. 40 to 50 years or more.

We really do not know, yet. Silicon Solar PV from the 1970s and 1980s is still going.

As for "toxic waste" -- that is nonsense, too. Silicon Solar PV has ZERO Toxic Waste, let alone "Very toxic."

Silicon Solar PV is 100% Recyclable, at a profit. I will take all you have. But you do not have any, do you? No one does. Because it is all still working, or recycled shortly after it is taken down.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:08 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Hmmmm How about the solar provider take less profit and sell for the same price as the conventional provider? Isn't that the business model of the left?

My house in the states I built myself. It had a Geothermal heat pump. 16 solar panels and a damned wind Mill that my kids insisted we needed. I put my money where my mouth is. My son has since added another 16 panels and another damned windmill. I say damned because those things love maintenance, a lot of maintenance.

Where I live now I have 12 panels. Money where my mouth is. I dont expect others to subsidize my choices.
The OP's summary is lacking, there must be more details. Most solar systems have an upfront cost but there is a long term pay back, need to see the specifics.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:10 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
Exactly how does raping the planet for the minerals to build solar power systems and batteries and then dumping the the leftovers in toxic waste landfills help save the planet?

I prefer my cheap and less harmful electricity powered by natural gas. Not perfect, but much better than the "green" energy alternatives that destroy the planet and kill wildlife.
Solar panels don't end up in garbage dumps in large quantities, you should be more concerned with flat screen TVs and computers most of which are thrown in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies