Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 03:45 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Are you going around asking everyone you deal with if they are vaccinated ?
The hospital is extremely high risk as compared to most other places on planet earth.
The concentration of risks are more dense and intense, including so many elderly and immune compromised.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:46 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
I'd accept the provider without a second thought, and thank them afterwards.
(minor because in this context, they would need to be conicidentally infected at the same time, but also be asymptomatic, otherwise they wouldn't be working that day. And the PPE would need to fail. All of that, just for the chance of transmission to exist)
If you refused the vaccine because it hasn't been tested for decades, then would you also refuse Covid hospital treatments that haven't been tested for decades, if you landed in the hospital for Covid? The monoclonal antibody treatment used on Trump is a very good treatment for Covid but it just got approved within the past several months. It it so new that it wasn't approved yet when Trump go the treatment.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:52 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So let's say you find yourself in the hospital and you have not been vaccinated for COVID.

Would you want nurses, CNAs, and other providers to care for you bedside if they were not vaccinated?
Just a few months ago no one was vaccinated. It wouldn't have stopped me from going to the ER if I thought I was having a heart attack or I hurt myself. In fact if I collapse on a sidewalk I wouldn't care (would be grateful even) if a total stranger gave me mouth to mouth resuscitation if needed. No vaccine card required.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:55 PM

6,364 posts, read 2,700,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So let's say you find yourself in the hospital and you have not been vaccinated for COVID.

Would you want nurses, CNAs, and other providers to care for you bedside if they were not vaccinated?
Why not?

If I chose to not get vaccinated, why would I make such a demand that someone who treats me has to be vaccinated?

These same medical professionals would also be the ones who would be able to tell the signs of being sick and would take it upon themselves to not show up for work for the good of their patients. Sure you can say well that is not 100% guaranteed, but neither is the vaccine as that is only around 95%.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
Hmm... minor chance of getting sick vs a good person getting kicked out of their livelihood. I'd accept the provider without a second thought, and thank them afterwards.
(minor because in this context, they would need to be conicidentally infected at the same time, but also be asymptomatic, otherwise they wouldn't be working that day. And the PPE would need to fail. All of that, just for the chance of transmission to exist)
IMO your scenario would fail what is soon to be (if not already) the new medical standard of care in the USA. In 2020 this would have been perfectly appropriate medical care. It is now (or very soon) simply bad medicine to be on the front line and not be immunized.

Risks are certainly low in the above setting, and with dialysis. But you shouldn't work on a dialysis ward if you are Hep B positive. And you shouldn't work on a dialysis ward if you have not been vaccinated against Hep B.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Just a few months ago no one was vaccinated. It wouldn't have stopped me from going to the ER if I thought I was having a heart attack or I hurt myself. In fact if I collapse on a sidewalk I wouldn't care (would be grateful even) if a total stranger gave me mouth to mouth resuscitation if needed. No vaccine card required.
Nor I, and it didn't my wife. Just a few months ago there were no vaccines available. Now there are, and you can bet your bottom dollar that all those front time workers have been, or soon will be immunized.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:12 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 3 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
If you refused the vaccine because it hasn't been tested for decades, then would you also refuse Covid hospital treatments that haven't been tested for decades, if you landed in the hospital for Covid? The monoclonal antibody treatment used on Trump is a very good treatment for Covid but it just got approved within the past several months. It it so new that it wasn't approved yet when Trump go the treatment.
Humans aren't totally consistent, so I don't think this line of questioning will really get anywhere. Anyway, while I surely wouldn't get that treatment now when I'm healthy, the equation changes significantly if hospitalized. I'd still have some hesitancy at that point, but I could imagine going through with it as the best choice under the circumstances. (By the way, I try to keep the former president out-of-sight and out-of-mind - hopefully there wasn't an assumption that I was a supporter of his).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO your scenario would fail what is soon to be (if not already) the new medical standard of care in the USA. In 2020 this would have been perfectly appropriate medical care. It is now (or very soon) simply bad medicine to be on the front line and not be immunized.
I have no vote in the standard of care, so I guess that's that.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 04-26-2021 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: saw other post

Old 04-26-2021, 04:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Most of the innoculations first given weren't tested for years. this is ridiculous.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
It takes some serious cognitive dissonance.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Why not?

If I chose to not get vaccinated, why would I make such a demand that someone who treats me has to be vaccinated?

These same medical professionals would also be the ones who would be able to tell the signs of being sick and would take it upon themselves to not show up for work for the good of their patients. Sure you can say well that is not 100% guaranteed, but neither is the vaccine as that is only around 95%.
Forrest Gump said it best over and again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies