Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I am not sure why the big price rises NOW. I assume factories, etc shut down for the pandemic plus the free money handouts. But prices on lot stuff, not just groceries has zoomed. Reminds me of Nixon price and wage freeze and 10% tariff. The tariffs ended end 71 but the price/wage freeze lasted couple more years. When it was lifted, watch out, huge inflation came roaring back. Big dose reality from 1960s era pricing and 1970s era pricing.

Notice it was TRUMP that imposed the tariffs and IS RESPONSIBLE for some of the inflation. We dont manufacture consumer goods in USA so putting tariffs on imported goods means there is no alternative to higher prices. Trump's tariffs would been useful in 1970s and 1980s when there were still American made consumer goods, but just a TAX on American consumer this era. Now why Biden hasnt reversed the tariffs, I assume political negotiations with China, make them give up something to get the tariffs reduced or eliminated.
Notice Trump is not in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Elections have consequences.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ok, so tell me how Biden is responsible for grocery prices increasing. You know he's only been in office for a few months and this pandemic has been going on for more than a year.
Because HE IS IN OFFICE. That's why he is responsible.

When one gets the big chair, they get to claim the credit, they get the blame.......and they have the power to start doing something about it......that's why.

HOWEVER, that seems to be the thing with our leaders, to dodge the buck. Certainly would have more respect for them if they didn't.

Heck, on that front, even Captain Joseph Hazelwood is better than them.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Quote:
But how is a president responsible for the cost of groceries. He is not the leader of groceries.
Biden taxes stores heavy. They turn around and raise their prices on the consumer to make up for the extra tax cost. YOU LOOSE.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:11 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
This is Biden’s America......

The Grocery Price Shock Is Coming to a Store Near You

Corn, wheat, soybeans, vegetable oils: A small handful of commodities form the backbone of much of the world’s diet and they’re dramatically more expensive, flashing alarm signals for global shopping budgets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...more-expensive
Your own post says that it is a global issue. LOL. I guess Biden must be King of the World.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:13 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Well the media and Democrats blamed Trump for everything, Biden is President he needs to take the good and bad, the buck stops with him.
I honestly think that if you ask him, Biden will agree with you. Most Presidents do. I can only think of one who has ever said, "No, I don't take any responsibility" for a crisis that happened on his watch.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:19 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
But how is a president responsible for the cost of groceries. He is not the leader of groceries.

You're trying to cherry pick. Of course this falls on Biden. One of Biden's selling points (more like the people who campaigned for him like Obama while he stayed in his basement) said that he'd take the reins on this pandemic and would provide this country with the resources we needed to stay safe. He also told us he'd have a solid plan to open the country and the economy up.

Instead he did the opposite. He had the government print more money. You can only print so much money before you destroy the current value of it. We're basically printing out IOU's. Biden is also providing unemployment checks to people who are able to work. Take a look around you and do the research. There are so many companies and jobs hiring and yet no one is applying. a McDonald's in Florida is literally paying people $50 just to APPLY. We were supposed to create over a million jobs and we clocked in at 266K!

So because there's not enough people working, this affects the food in our nation. The Biden administration didn't properly have the nation prepare to open up and fought states like Texas and Florida that did. That also affects the food shortages we have for chicken, as well as restaurants struggling to get a single box of ketchup packets. The price of eggs has gone up 5%! And with the tariffs gone, that really messed it up even more. So yes, Biden's policies and chess moves since he took office makes him responsible for the cost of groceries. This is your current government at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The policies and guidance offered by people in leadership positions absolutely effects the quality of your life. The cost of feeding yourself has a big impact on the quality of your life. Governments very often pursue very inefficient and sometimes reckless policies that negatively impact everyone's life. It has happened before. It will almost certainly happen again. It may be happening as I type this response.

Corporations very rarely can get away with pursuing paths that are inefficient and reckless. But it doesn't mean that some don't try, and have not tried in the past. Their behavior and the way they conduct business absolutely is influenced by the people in leadership positions.

The natural reaction by some is to pretend this stuff can't harm them, won't effect their lives, etc. Some people choose to bury their heads in the sand. That is simply not an effective or wise strategy. You aren't doing yourself any favors pretending this stuff doesn't matter.

Perfectly worded. Repped you for that one.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:26 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Where have you been for the last year, OP? Food prices have been increasing for quite some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I honestly think that if you ask him, Biden will agree with you. Most Presidents do. I can only think of one who has ever said, "No, I don't take any responsibility" for a crisis that happened on his watch.
Exactly.

Also, it's been well documented by others how Trump's economic policies affected the global food system, and how the pandemic changed everything. Food prices have been rising for months; this did not begin only on or after January 20.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:02 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where have you been for the last year, OP? Food prices have been increasing for quite some time now.

Exactly.

Also, it's been well documented by others how Trump's economic policies affected the global food system, and how the pandemic changed everything. Food prices have been rising for months; this did not begin only on or after January 20.
IIRC, when the tariffs were imposed, China got pissed and bought their grain from Australia and Brazil. And said it was permanent. Then the USA had to make up the grain growers loss.

One hing leads to another.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I shop at small mom and pop grocery stores, mostly owned by immigrants. The food is real, authentic, wholesome and delicious. It is also fairly priced, and always has been. If you want to live well, you will treat yourself well by giving your body that in which it needs to thrive. But it comes at a price. Anybody willing to pay a premium for garbage food loaded in chemicals, preservatives and junk that most people can't even pronounce are clearly not concerned for their own well being. Dump the big box stores and shop and eat the way people did generations ago. Your body and mind will thank you. Most of the problems that people have in their lives today can be directly attributed to the garbage they are willingly ingesting.

Thankfully, the places I shop are not raising their prices by much. They've been charging a fair price for quite some time and have no need to raise their prices.
i used to shop in a large grocery store here in chicago.. but i moved to the suburbs and they have so many smaller grocery stores, often with ethnic food. the produce and meat are way more good quality than the other store in the city. Also its smaller so its not like trying to navigate a huge ware-house kind of store which is overwhelming for me to shop. I have yet to go visit them all but one by one, im going to shop there. One place is called Fresh Farms, they have aisles of ethnic food, i.e. one aisle had so many kind of dried beans and lentils that i have never seen before in the chicago big store. I may sound funny, but this is true for me. I dont quite know if prices are more or less per each store, but if the produce and meat is good, then i will pay whatever price.. although Whole Foods has good produce but it might be more expensive all around. So moral of my story is, i like the smaller markets full of ethnic food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies