Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 03:16 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A conservative would need to have enough appeal to win over the voters. None have managed that.
You are correct and realistic. I was simply stating who would fix the problem. A centrist is electable but lacks the conservative fortitude, AKA balls — to fix the problem. He would cave to political pressure. Only a conservative will stand up to the mob.

As you so noted, a conservative is not electable in Portland, hence, Portland is doomed. The voters are getting the government they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 03:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
This is what happens when liberals run cities and hire liberal police chiefs and yet people don't put two and two together and see that liberal policy choices cause this mess. Milwaukee fires their former police chief because he dares arrest protestors breaking the law....you vote in these people and you deserve what you get.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Has Portland's housing prices been affected? If things are so bad, I should be able to purchase an entire city block for $200K.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2021, 06:00 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Portland always seemed so laid back. It was all about arts, crafts, nature and now out of nowhere, its a political hotbed. It is weird.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:16 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Has Portland's housing prices been affected? If things are so bad, I should be able to purchase an entire city block for $200K.
I dont know about the prices, but theres a lot of houses for sale there. Take your pick.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:26 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
I’ve defended the protests here(while still calling for the violent offenders to be arrested). But we took a little driving tour around downtown for the first time in a few months and it’s gotten so bad. And the targets make no sense from any sort of social justice notion unlike the prior focus around the courthouse. Mercedes dealership, Tiffany store, Gucci? Those are all fine. Boys and Girls club, employment outreach offices, homeless missions, public parks and other things trying to help just a minute down the road...trashed. Even little mom and pop restaurants. Even the tone of the graffiti has changed with a lot of it calling out Ted Wheeler. It’s a marked difference from just last year.

While it’s been obvious it’s the anarchists not aligned to any real cause that are causing the real trouble. Something seems weird about the noticeable change in what is being targeted. The lack of enforcement of vandalism and petty crimes appears to have emboldened a new set of folks out to sow chaos. Which really isn’t a surprising result.

While we were already relocating this summer due to going to help out elderly parents starting to have health issues. It is sad to see this beautiful city we love so trashed. I hope they figure some way out of this mess. Not sure what that would be. Wheeler’s opponent last time was just an outright extremist. Neither cracking down nor appeasement had worked. Crossing the first amendment doesn’t work. Left, right, and anarchists are pissed. Needs a solid centrist that can rise about the division but I don’t know who that would be or where that would come from with the major political parties happy to just divide and drive extreme partisanship.
Cracking down? LOL

Portland is going to sh*t because that's where the Marxist revolution began.

Stop trying to make sense of it based on what the actors are saying. THEY'RE LIARS. Wheeler is one of them.

What's happening there is what they're going to take nationwide later this year, maybe next.

Don't know what else to tell you. You're in the middle of it, and you still don't see it? Maybe you just can't.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
Glad to see people are finally catching on, including Ted Wheeler who was driven out of his condo by an arsonist mob last summer. What's interesting is the the OP thinks targeting Mercedes and Gucci are somehow justified, but not Mom and Pop stores. However, there are hardworking people who own those Mercedes car dealerships, and work there. Those jobs are their livelihoods. Without those jobs the car salespeople can't feed their families. Anarchists use words like "justice" and "fight the system" as a hook to appeal to normal people. Because if they advertised that they want destruction for its own sake, they couldn't recruit enough people as shields (i.e. protesters). However, regardless of the cause, if violence and property damage are happening, I'm out. When people show you who they are, believe them. These are bad people who don't care who they hurt, and they won't stop until people in charge make them stop. I'm glad people are seeing their true colors.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
They are getting what they voted for. They may wise up eventually.

By some of the OPs statements (like it's OK for protestors to target Mercedes dealerships, Gucci stores, etc), and then making the absurd claim there are right-wingers coming in from across the country and engaging in this mayhem, I think it's safe to say the OP is exactly the type of person that votes for these far-left politicos who let ANTIFA and BLM run riot. It's called reaping what you sow.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 537 times
Quote:
I’ve defended the protests here(while still calling for the violent offenders to be arrested). But we took a little driving tour around downtown for the first time in a few months and it’s gotten so bad. And the targets make no sense from any sort of social justice notion unlike the prior focus around the courthouse. Mercedes dealership, Tiffany store, Gucci? Those are all fine. Boys and Girls club, employment outreach offices, homeless missions, public parks and other things trying to help just a minute down the road...trashed. Even little mom and pop restaurants. Even the tone of the graffiti has changed with a lot of it calling out Ted Wheeler. It’s a marked difference from just last year.

While it’s been obvious it’s the anarchists not aligned to any real cause that are causing the real trouble. Something seems weird about the noticeable change in what is being targeted. The lack of enforcement of vandalism and petty crimes appears to have emboldened a new set of folks out to sow chaos. Which really isn’t a surprising result.

While we were already relocating this summer
Why am I not surprised

That's the issue with people like you. Its easy to support anti-police bs when you can easily flee to another area when sh*t hits the fan.

Constantly moving like locusts and never seem to understand that actions have consequences. These protesters were always degenerates. White liberals deliberately promoting the destruction of property and safety for the vulnerable, poor, and minorities, just to give themselves a sense of purpose and superiority is evil and racist.

Quote:
Mercedes dealership, Tiffany store, Gucci? Those are all fine.
as they should be. No businesses should have been destroyed, no court houses should have been destroyed. There are no "good" targets for destruction in peaceful protests.

Anyone with half a brain could have told you the end results of the "summer of love".

Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm told it's gloomy and rainy all the time, and people are cold and distant.
Pretty much correct (originally originally from Oregon and I did live in WA for a while). The "Seattle freeze" is a very real thing, and except for a few months in the summer, it's chilly and usually overcast.

But the freeze is just a cultural thing. It's actually similar to German culture. Some people prefer that to some of the other modes of interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies