Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:49 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,618 times

Advertisements

OP - The "They" in my post - I was referring to the Supreme Court justices. Their job is to interpret the Constitution. The ruling was 5-4. You may well disagree with the ruling, just as there are people who disagree with Roe v Wade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 08:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No doubt, by far, the most justified reason for the 2nd Amendment for these modern times is to protect ourselves against mentally ill people who want to shoot everybody up in sight.
WOW, crazy to hear that from an American citizen!

Can I ask if there is ANY RIGHT, you would support citizens standing up and defending against the govt? It doesnt seem like it.

Can I also assume, you did not agree with how our nation was founded? (using violence/ non compliance against the govt in power)

Old 04-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
OP - The "They" in my post - I was referring to the Supreme Court justices. Their job is to interpret the Constitution. The ruling was 5-4. You may well disagree with the ruling, just as there are people who disagree with Roe v Wade.
What makes you think the Constitution needed to be interpreted? Do you recognize the potential for abuse in justifying that?

And if you think the Supreme Court is totally blind...think about this...

Who appoints SP court justices?
Who signs their paychecks?
What kind of building is the SP court located in?
Who do you think they are going to rule for in cases they hear?

I dont think i have to write the answers out!lol

Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 AM

628 posts, read 286,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Is there is group or person that informs us when its appropriate to use firearms against the Govt? (the Militia maybe?)
Seriously? Yes I can tell you when it would be appropriate - NEVER. And especially not when it's for the reason that 'I'm not getting what I want from the big bad gov'mint, waaaahhhhh'.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:06 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
**Im asking this seriously because i want to know...

Considering that the 2nd Amendment is meant to ensure we have the ability to protect ourselves from the govt...At what point do citizens start exercising these rights?

Is there is group or person that informs us when its appropriate to use firearms against the Govt? (the Militia maybe?)

Naturally, it would NOT be anyone from the Govt, (that would defeat the purpose)!
You're inching close to gathering an insight about the actual intended purpose of the militia.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:06 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,618 times
Quote:
What makes you think the Constitution needed to be interpreted? Do you recognize the potential for abuse in justifying that?

And if you think the Supreme Court is totally blind...think about this...

Who appoints SP court justices?
Who signs their paychecks?
What kind of building is the SP court located in?
Who do you think they are going to rule for in cases they hear?

I dont think i have to write the answers out!lol
Well, I am simply saying what is, at the moment. I made no attempt to debate your vision of what should be.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Well, I am simply saying what is, at the moment. I made no attempt to debate your vision of what should be.
I understand that...I just think its so weird, majority of Americans today see the things Im saying and believe it comes close to being 'domestic terrorism'...(when in reality, its precisely what the founders of this country intended citizens to do)...

They frown upon 'domestic terrorism' of ANY kind...but at the same time, they fully support how America won her freedom and independence! I would love to hear how they justify or explain that.

The only thing I can think to explain it, is, for some reason, they believe 'using violence because you disagree with the govt' was acceptable ONLY AT THAT TIME in history, but its not anymore...?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Seriously? Yes I can tell you when it would be appropriate - NEVER. And especially not when it's for the reason that 'I'm not getting what I want from the big bad gov'mint, waaaahhhhh'.
You do not see the big picture. Look, not every firearms owner and user out here i some baccy drooling backwoodser that made it to third grade and calls that "education." Ala Jethro Bodine. Max Baer is actually a very intelligent and competent man IRL. Though his portrayal of Jethro was(still is) a hilarious parody and is often used by folks like you to personify firearms owners, that is WAY off base. We are not out here huddling in our basements clutching our weapons and planning any fights with the government.

Our biggest concern where personal arms are involved is with criminals. Looters, rioters, those with general mayhem on their minds who would do our loved ones harm if they have the opportunity. Government INACTION, not action is the biggest issue. When the government fails to protect us from harm we must protect ourselves. That is what we are not getting from the "big bad government." Oh sure, there are laws. But no order. So if laws fail, we WILL have order if nothing else where the safety of our loved ones is concerned.

I don't need cops to defend my loved ones. When seconds count the police are minutes (or more) away. My shotgun is certainly faster. Or whatever is at hand.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 AM

628 posts, read 286,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You do not see the big picture. Look, not every firearms owner and user out here i some baccy drooling backwoodser that made it to third grade and calls that "education." Ala Jethro Bodine. Max Baer is actually a very intelligent and competent man IRL. Though his portrayal of Jethro was(still is) a hilarious parody and is often used by folks like you to personify firearms owners, that is WAY off base. We are not out here huddling in our basements clutching our weapons and planning any fights with the government.

Our biggest concern where personal arms are involved is with criminals. Looters, rioters, those with general mayhem on their minds who would do our loved ones harm if they have the opportunity. Government INACTION, not action is the biggest issue. When the government fails to protect us from harm we must protect ourselves. That is what we are not getting from the "big bad government." Oh sure, there are laws. But no order. So if laws fail, we WILL have order if nothing else where the safety of our loved ones is concerned.

I don't need cops to defend my loved ones. When seconds count the police are minutes (or more) away. My shotgun is certainly faster. Or whatever is at hand.
You definitely have some valid points and I did not mean my post to disparage all gun owners. Just the ones asking questions like the OP did, I mean really? "Is there someone who notifies us when it is ok to use our guns"? And the OP was not phrased as defense of loved ones, it specifically said 'against the government'.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
You definitely have some valid points and I did not mean my post to disparage all gun owners. Just the ones asking questions like the OP did, I mean really? "Is there someone who notifies us when it is ok to use our guns"? And the OP was not phrased as defense of loved ones, it specifically said 'against the government'.
According to numerous quotes and statements by historical American patriots, its clear as day, they supported 'using violence' to fight tyranny...and you think its strange that I ask the question? lol

Im not trying to pick fights, im just trying to understand your opinion/beliefs on this...if you read the 2nd Amendment in its entirety, its easy to see it was dealing with 'govt/tyranny'...NOT defense against other citizens...

Plus, its OBVIOUS, they supported 'using violence to resolve political disagreements, this is how America won her independence after all!

Are you basically saying that 'Violence against the existing govt was ONLY acceptable back then, and not now'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies