Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 04:04 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
ROTFLMAO. Republicans have largely been in denial that Covid is a serious disease until/unless they or someone close to them becomes seriously ill or dies from it, and that's reflected by the 43% of respondents in a recent poll who identified as Republicans wouldn't get vaccinated compared to 5% of Democrats. (https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-ins...oll_us_041421/).

FYI, everyone hasn't been vaccinated. About 40% of Americans have received 1 dose and only about 25% have been fully vaccinated.
Not in denial, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t believe it’s real, it’s the shutdowns and isolations I at least didn’t agree with.. different recommendations every time you turn around. Right now I’m more worried about the shingle shot I need to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 04:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
ROTFLMAO. Republicans have largely been in denial that Covid is a serious disease until/unless they or someone close to them becomes seriously ill or dies from it, and that's reflected by the 43% of respondents in a recent poll who identified as Republicans wouldn't get vaccinated compared to 5% of Democrats. (https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-ins...oll_us_041421/).

FYI, everyone hasn't been vaccinated. About 40% of Americans have received 1 dose and only about 25% have been fully vaccinated.
I'm sure you saw the other NYT poll where 41% of Democrats think that >50% of people who get COVID end up in the hospital.

So at least 1 of every person who tests positive from COVID ends up in the hospital. Per the 'educated' Democrat.

Might be why they are so hellbent on getting vaccination. They are basing their fear off misinformation.

It's actually 1-5% of those who get sick that end up in the hospital.

"Democrats are also more likely to exaggerate Covid’s toll on young people and to believe that children account for a meaningful share of deaths. In reality, Americans under 18 account for only 0.04 percent of Covid deaths."

Enough with the idea that 1 group is smarter than the other.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:14 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
... many still wrestle with a fear of catching Covid

It's possible. In fact vaccines don't prevent anyone from catching a disease, they prime the immune system to fight it once it arrives. The quicker our immune system responds the less damage the virus can do to us and the less likely it will spread from us to other persons.

Some will catch it again, sadly. But if we tamp it down as much as possible now, the rate of mutations and re-combinations will also fall and the chances of deadlier version coming out will drop.

This understandably means we need to promote vaccines worldwide, not just in our own country or in our own state. It needs to be an all encompassing campaign, because the virus can mutate anywhere and the more people it infects the more chances it has to evolve.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:21 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1265086

well sucks to be them. Hopefully they don't think their fear should prevent us from returning to normal
Who is “us”?

Sounds pretty collectivist.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:22 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Not in denial, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t believe it’s real, it’s the shutdowns and isolations I at least didn’t agree with.. different recommendations every time you turn around. Right now I’m more worried about the shingle shot I need to get.
There are a ton of people who don’t believe it is real.

I had a poll up last year on this board and I think at least 25% of this forum thought it was a hoax.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well, duh.

They've been told the vaccines don't work, and that they can still get COVID.

They got the vaccine anyway. And now are still scared that they will get sick.

Wonder why. MSM, marketing of COVID, marketing of fear ...
Nobody told me vaccines don't work, who told you this? Since Pfizer first showed the 95% efficacy I've seen vaccines as a home run, better than we dared hope for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This summer will be cancelled again. Don’t bet on concerts or festivals, they’ll be outright cancelled or delayed until next summer. And then when next summer comes, it’ll be cancelled again.
Bookmarked. This post is perfect for this thread, since it manifests irrational fear and paranoia.

Quote:
I'm worried about people who use made up words to be derogatory, like "anti-vaxxers." I think they believe vaccine is spelled vaxxine.
What a weird thing to worry about, many made up words enter mainstream usage. Unfriend someone, chortle at the meme written by the nerd, googling the answer, etc. you must worry about a lot of people.

Here is from Merriam-Webster dictionary, at https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-vaxxer

an·​ti-vax·​xer | \ ˌan-tē-ˈvak-sər , ˌan-ˌtī- \
plural anti-vaxxers
Definition of anti-vaxxer
: a person who opposes vaccination or laws that mandate vaccination

Old 04-25-2021, 04:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nobody told me vaccines don't work, who told you this? Since Pfizer first showed the 95% efficacy I've seen vaccines as a home run, better than we dared hope for.

Bookmarked. This post is perfect for this thread, since it manifests irrational fear and paranoia.

What a weird thing to worry about, many made up words enter mainstream usage. Unfriend someone, chortle at the meme written by the nerd, googling the answer, etc. you must worry about a lot of people.

Here is from Merriam-Webster dictionary, at https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-vaxxer

an·​ti-vax·​xer | \ ˌan-tē-ˈvak-sər , ˌan-ˌtī- \
plural anti-vaxxers
Definition of anti-vaxxer
: a person who opposes vaccination or laws that mandate vaccination
If you get a vaccine, does it 100% prevent COVID?

No. None of them do.

Here's a question: WHICH vaccine actually tested for PREVENTION vs getting a milder form of COVID?

Did every single vaccine trial include an endpoint that claimed prevention?

Go look. See for yourself. Report back to the group on EACH of the vaccines.

Anti-vaxxer? OK. Another question:

Do you hate on people who question the vaccine and then decide, meh, THIS one is not for me, but it's perfectly fine if others want to get it? Which is pretty much everyone else.

What's the derogatory name for that group?

Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Usually of a virus mutates, it becomes less lethal
Most mutations are neutral. They do nothing at all.

Quote:
Well, duh.

They've been told the vaccines don't work, and that they can still get COVID.

They got the vaccine anyway. And now are still scared that they will get sick.

Wonder why. MSM, marketing of COVID, marketing of fear ...
The vaccines do work, just not perfectly, and there is still plenty of virus circulating in a large number of asymptomatic people.

Quote:
If you get a vaccine, does it 100% prevent COVID?

No. None of them do.

Here's a question: WHICH vaccine actually tested for PREVENTION vs getting a milder form of COVID?

Did every single vaccine trial include an endpoint that claimed prevention?

Go look. See for yourself. Report back to the group on EACH of the vaccines.

Anti-vaxxer? OK. Another question:

Do you hate on people who question the vaccine and then decide, meh, THIS one is not for me, but it's perfectly fine if others want to get it? Which is pretty much everyone else.

The original Phase 3 vaccines were designed to assess the reduction of symptomatic disease. However, we now have data supporting prevention of asymptomatic disease.

Pfizer:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...iveness-pfizer

"The Israel Ministry of Health (MoH), Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced real-world evidence demonstrating dramatically lower incidence rates of COVID-19 disease in individuals fully vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (BNT162b2), underscoring the observed substantial public health impact of Israel’s nationwide immunization program. These new data build upon and confirm previously released data from the MoH demonstrating the vaccine’s effectiveness in preventing symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections, COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, severe and critical hospitalizations, and deaths. The latest analysis from the MoH proves that two weeks after the second vaccine dose protection is even stronger – vaccine effectiveness was at least 97% in preventing symptomatic disease, severe/critical disease and death."

Moderna and Pfizer:

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n888

"Vaccination with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine reduces infections by 90%, while a single dose confers 80% protection, shows a study led by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that followed essential workers through the worst months of the pandemic."

J&J:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/johns...-rates-5114945

"In a study by Janssen, the pharmaceutical division of Johnson & Johnson, the Ad26.COV2.S vaccine proved to be 74% effective against asymptomatic disease within 71 days compared to a placebo shot. When it comes to severe to critical disease, it is 77% effective within two weeks and 85% effective within four weeks."

Old 04-25-2021, 09:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
All the vaccines have demonstrated amazing efficacy in trials and real-world results, I'm sure that frustrates you immensely since not convenient for the agenda.

Quote:

I don't hate anyone, but I do pity many.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:01 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well - I'm so glad you have already created the scenario in your mind before anything has happened.

Don't worry about it.

Trump is gone... mission accomplished. China is focusing on ruining India now.
I guess the media has found a new way to push liberals to blame conservatives for the virus, despite the fact that there are a lot of people of all political persuasions who don’t want the vaccine, and conversely, a lot of people of all political persuasions who have gotten the vaccine.

Last edited by katygirl68; 04-25-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies