Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
200K illegals a month..the largest number seen in over 20 years and that is not a crisis ?
Not sure if your numbers are correct, but I'll give benefit of the doubt. 200,000 per month sounds like a lot. That is 2.4 million per year, which represents 0.6% of the US population. Imagine you have 150 people in a room, and one guy sneaks in. Would you call that a crisis? Would you even notice the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some good reading here. Like with abortion, Republicans just want to hype immigration as a crisis in order to get votes.

https://www.alternet.org/2021/04/migration-crisis/
Joe Biden himself called it a crisis.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:58 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Joe Biden himself called it a crisis.
He might have changed his mind on that ....it's a new week and Joe likes to change his mind.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:00 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Not sure if your numbers are correct, but I'll give benefit of the doubt. 200,000 per month sounds like a lot. That is 2.4 million per year, which represents 0.6% of the US population. Imagine you have 150 people in a room, and one guy sneaks in. Would you call that a crisis? Would you even notice the difference?
That is a truly terrible analogy. One of the worst I've every seen. Are you AOC?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:12 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Here's a better analogy that is way more realistic

Texas town..pop 5K
2K new residents move in courtesy of Uncle Sam
Fema trailers show up

Classrooms are overcrowded
Not enough Spanish speaking teachers
County health clinic had to ask other counties for help for vaccinations of new kids in town
I think you get the jist of it.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:16 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Ask some of the military men that have married women of a different culture, that then settled in America, how did that work out? When the women realized they didn't have to walk behind the man, they walked.

Also immigrants that have come from oppressive governments, when they get here they go
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Your last sentence is so true. When I told these women I drove 3 hours by myself to my brother's house they looked at me as if I had performed some miraculous miracle. Now these were middle age and older women.
They weren't even allowed to drive local to the store by themselves.

They are still living back in my mother's time..50-60's
That is not what I meant, but that they witness our oppressive government practices --- they try to tell us, and we're Americans, we don't listen. By the time the new immigrant culture reaches 2 - 3 generation American, they don't listen either.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
There seems to be a confusion, let me show you:
Is it legal to cross the U.S. border to seek asylum?

"Asylum seekers must be in the U.S. or at a port of entry (an airport or an official land crossing) to apply for, or request the opportunity to apply for, asylum. "There’s no way to ask for a visa or any type of authorization in advance for the purpose of seeking asylum,” says Byrne. “You just have to show up.""

Just when you think all is well ...

Prosecuting People for Coming to the United States

"Over the last two decades, the federal government increasingly has utilized the criminal courts to punish people for immigration violations. Particularly on the Southwest border, federal officials are vigorously prosecuting migrants either for entering the United States without permission or for reentering the country without permission after a prior deportation or removal order (commonly referred to, respectively, as “illegal entry” and “illegal re-entry;” or collectively as “entry-related offenses”). Tens of thousands of migrants and asylum seekers are subjected to criminal prosecution for these crimes every year. In fact, prosecutions for entry-related offenses reached an all-time high of 106,312 in Fiscal Year (FY) 2019."

So no, a person can not just show up

No difference is placed on anyone crossing that boarder; the u.s. is not here to help. I suspect the u.s. is wanting to add to their prison population ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
No confusion. Trump had a "Remain in Mexico" policy for asylum seekers. Biden removed it immediately. Ask a rancher along the border if people are walking into America unchecked. They see groups of 50 illegals walking through their property, throwing trash all over. They're afraid to be out on their own property. They have pleaded for it to stop.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Biden administration moved to restore the asylum system to the way it worked for decades Friday by releasing a group of asylum-seekers into the United States, ending their long wait in Mexico and unraveling one of former President Donald Trump’s signature immigration policies.
Trump increased prison quotas, relinquishing due process of law, for anyone crossing the boarder --- you must be proud.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:30 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Quote:
Trump increased prison quotas, relinquishing due process of law, for anyone crossing the boarder --- you must be proud.
And how did he increase prison quotas or relinquish due process.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I would expect nothing less from a “left” leaning Alternet.Org. What’s hilarious is they’re lying to their democratic readers and they’re sucking it up like mother’s milk.
Then get a counterpoint from a far right conservative source, such as InfoWars.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Not when you factor in how many have left over the past 20 years --- data from 2012 ...

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero—and Perhaps Less

"The largest wave of immigration in history from a single country to the United States has come to a standstill. After four decades that brought 12 million current immigrants—most of whom came illegally—the net migration flow from Mexico to the United States has stopped and may have reversed, according to a new analysis of government data from both countries by the Pew Hispanic Center, a project of the Pew Research Center."
At least it was back when Obama was president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies