Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 10:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not that the Chinese were considered to be white. It's that they were considered to be not black.

Think about it. The southern racial system had two categories, white and "colored," meaning Negro. That's it. That's all well and good when all you have is white people and black people. But what do you do when a third group shows up? There weren't enough Chinese to make it worth adding another category for them. But when you have a segregated society, everyone has to be classified as something. The Chinese weren't white, but they weren't black either. For whatever reason, it was decided that they were less like black people than white people, so they got lumped in with the white people. But it's not because they were white. It was because they weren't black.

"Oriental," perhaps?
Triton sort has a point about Hispanics. In 1848, the treaty offered the 100k Mexicans north of the border to become US citizens. There just wasn't enough Asians or even Hispanics in the US before 1964 for them to be much of a concern. Even in Texas in 1980 when I lived there it was pretty overwhelmingly white and those of Mexicans descent just about all spoke English and seemed more assimilate. The old segregated south had a large black population somewhere around 20-50%. But in the north where I'm from, historically there was almost no non-whites and no segregation law. Even up till the 1990s nonwhites were almost a novelty and not numerous enough to be an issue. Only when diversity becomes so numerous does its problems manifest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 11:52 PM

1,951 posts, read 699,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I am Asian and dated a white girl in H.S. for a year or so whose family had loose ties to KKK. Although they tolerated my relationship with their daughter, It was clearly made known I wasn't considered "white" and will never be totally accepted within.

In college, I dated my future wife for 7 years. I had asked her father for her hand in marriage eventually. His answer was shockingly a "No". The explanation I got was that our mixed children would be subjected to a life of discrimination and would never be accepted. Again... it was clearly obvious I wasn't considered "white".

I've dated Koreans, Latinos, Russians (immigrants) and not once did I feel like that from their families.

We eventually married anyways without his blessings. We eventually moved away to start our family... thankfully in an area where interracial coupling is common.
I don't know, is it racist? For me, it is not. A lot of people don't like to that close to other races, friendship maybe, but 'no' to in-law-ship. Of cause, "marry up" is a different story.

BTW, btm line is you not white, and not that there's anything wrong with that

Old 04-28-2021, 11:56 PM

1,951 posts, read 699,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Ultimately what did Jim Crow most care about 100% other than
Black or White or any known Black/African contributors when it came to using the full force of government to suppress freedoms.

Japanese Americans may have been interned but all other Asians were in the general manpower pool while the nation accepted the waste of maintaining segregated colored military units
Japanese Americans had no one to blame but themselves. just need to google "Niihau incident"

Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It seems like a calculated attempt to unite everyone who is not Caucasian into an us against them division.

If I was Asian I would resent this scam too. More woke nonsense.

Good luck uniting Asians with blacks. Asians know who their enemies are in spite of what the media tries to spin.
Yes this is exactly what the POC label is all about. Asians and Hispanics are successful hard working Americans. It does not serve them in any way shape or form to be lumped in as part of some victim group in this way. I think most of them see it as well. Leftists love identity politics and they would love a permanent “us vs them” situation in our country where race bickering is endless and white people are to blame for everything.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:24 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ohh my god. Here comes the "they were just white on paper" argument.

They were regarded as white in real life. The generation of Texans that remembers when Mexicans were white is still alive and well. They're not even that old! In the 60s, Mexicans were white. There was no such thing as a "hispanic".

I was raised by people who grew up during segregation! They are still living. THEY WERE WHITE. It wasn't just on paper.

People who grew up in the 40s/50s/60s really considered them white.
I tend to agree. Mexico is a nation founded as a Spanish colony. They speak Spanish. Spain is a European country. The biggest difference between Americans and Mexicans is most white Americans have origins in Northern Europe while white Mexicans have origins in Southern Europe. Both cultures are white. From what I understand most Mexicans consider themselves white unless they are Indian in origin. I have always considered Mexicans to be white.....no different than any people from the nations who speak a Romance language are.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:23 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
As an asian, I found it ridiculous to be labelled as "POC".
It's not unusal for Asian Americans to despise and reject the term "people of color," since so many of them try so hard to be viewed and accepted as white by white people. Also, admiting and accepting that they are NOT white and are indeed people of color would dump into a category with the main group that the term people of color is usually applied to---BLACK PEOPLE---and we all know that most Asian Americans don't want to lumped in with Black Americans for ANY reason. To them, it would be an impediment to them being fully accepted by white people if white people lumped them in with Black people. Many people of color come to the U.S. with that mindset though, where they feel they have to distance and distinguish themselves from Black Americans by any means if they want to be fully accepted by White Americans. It's a legacy of white European colonialism and racism.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-29-2021 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:28 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I tend to agree. Mexico is a nation founded as a Spanish colony. They speak Spanish. Spain is a European country. The biggest difference between Americans and Mexicans is most white Americans have origins in Northern Europe while white Mexicans have origins in Southern Europe. Both cultures are white. From what I understand most Mexicans consider themselves white unless they are Indian in origin. I have always considered Mexicans to be white.....no different than any people from the nations who speak a Romance language are.
Well, that's due to your own ignorance, because most Mexicans are in fact NOT white; they are indigenous, or of visible/noticable indigenous descent.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:32 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
It's not unusal for Asian Americans to despise and reject the term "people of color," since so many of them try so hard to be viewed and accepted as white by white people.
As an Asian American I don't subscribe to this at all.

I don't want or care to be accepted as 'White'. I just want to get along and be polite and be treated as I treat others.

Whites don't have a monopoly on being polite or educated or well-spoken or considering family important.

Just because I get along and my behavior is compatible with what you may call "Whites" doesn't make me a white wanna-be.

Thinking like that is pretty derisive. Like they can't just be a good person and if others get along with them so be it.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
As an Asian American I don't subscribe to this at all.

I don't want or care to be accepted as 'White'. I just want to get along and be polite and be treated as I treat others.

Whites don't have a monopoly on being polite or educated or well-spoken or considering family important.

Just because I get along and my behavior is compatible with what you may call "Whites" doesn't make me a white wanna-be.

Thinking like that is pretty derisive. Like they can't just be a good person and if others get along with them so be it.
Completely agree. I don’t subscribe to anything in that post at all. If anything, I just find that those who happen to share similar cultural and behavioral traits as me tend to be American white folks (of all classes).

So should I then say that these white folks are just trying hard to be Asian and ingratiate themselves to my ‘Asianess’?

I guess I’m just an American then, because I do not find general Asian culture in Asian countries, whether from my native country or otherwise, compatible with my overall outlook on life. Or cultural and behavioral traits of many non-Asian countries I am familiar with or have visited. Great places to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there, unless as an expat untethered from all the cultural baggage.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:58 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
I don't know, is it racist? For me, it is not. A lot of people don't like to that close to other races, friendship maybe, but 'no' to in-law-ship. Of cause, "marry up" is a different story.

BTW, btm line is you not white, and not that there's anything wrong with that
When its a dating preference since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I agree it isn't racism. But when you in my situation in which personal views and social pressures are based solely on my race not to the individual but rather another individual (family included), yes it did feel like racism.

I don't think the parents in this case would have denied me if i was "ugly" or not worthy.... I actually could deal with that. It was purely racial pressures. There were other signs from the family that it was purely racial..

A coworker of mine of several years (nice guy by the way) admitted to being a bit racist.... He has always said he has a lot of black friends. But it stops short of dating his daughter. Even he admitted that is the racist side of himself.

In both cases, I would cope it to the fact that everyone is a product of their time. Even LBJ, a civil rights figure, was an outright racist. So life goes on... and so did the both of us.

With that said, the point of bringing that up was that whether historically Asians were classified to go to white schools or whatever type of categories they place them in, the individual views of the public is that Asians were not white. White US soldiers after Vietnam war marrying Asians were treated differently. Chinese Exclusionary Act. Internment of Japanese Americans. Even the banning of marijuana in the states was driven primarily by racism grouping Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians (specifically Filipinos) together... even as far as saying that these groups use marijuana use to encourage sexual relations with "white women".

In my opinion, this sentiment goes all the way back to the "one-drop" rule and extended to other races as an extension of Nativist views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies