Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 12:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
No one's mask protects anyone else from viruses. Yes, it does.
And if my mask protects only OTHER people, how does your mask protect YOU? You can't have it both ways.

I never said ONLY - I said MAINLY. But anyway - I have never said my mask protects me. It (mainly) does not. This a long running failure-to-understand things that I do not grasp.

Before COVID - why do you think Asian people wore masks so much? It was NOT about self-protection. It was about manners - they were afraid to spread their germs to you, because maybe they had a cold or whatever.

This is EXACTLY that. Nothing more or less. You wear your mask to keep your germs to yourself. It has ALWAYS been that way.
They wore masks because they are nuts. They live in a society where they think the smog levels are controlled by the government.

And lo and behold, where did corona virus originate? THE SAME PLACE WHERE EVERYONE WEARS MASKS! Duhhhhhhhhh.

And use precise language: GERMS are NOT viruses. Viruses slip through the pores of masks, period. They are two microns in diamter.

Masks will obviously stop LARGE things like blood, vomit, saliva, etc. They absolutely will not stop microscopic particles like viruses, especially airborne aerosol viruses like corona virus.

Just like Fauci said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 01:49 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
diamter

You're going to flame me over precision?

Old 04-26-2021, 02:11 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
The key, in my opinion, has always been to protect YOURSELF and your loved ones to the point that you deem necessary.

People with comorbidities that will probably result in hospitalization if not death would naturally take more precautions than those of us who don't have such comorbidities, but what so many people seem to ignore is that continued life is guaranteed for no one.

No one in the U.S. is yet obligated to isolate themselves because they MIGHT infect someone else unless they know that they are infected themselves, although I think that it is only basic consideration and common sense to also isolate themselves if they are living with someone who is infected or they learned that they had recently spent a lot of indoor time with someone who is infected.

However, I am not going to act as though I might be "Typhoid Mary" when my personal chance of getting COVID is very slim due to the fact that my husband and I have very limited social contact with anyone besides each other, as we are retired and live in a very rural location. We do wear masks when in an indoor public place, but that is all, and we have been dining inside restaurants about once a month since last June, and we have never worn a mask when walking outside.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-26-2021 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 04:11 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
No one's mask protects anyone else from viruses. Yes, it does.
And if my mask protects only OTHER people, how does your mask protect YOU? You can't have it both ways.

I never said ONLY - I said MAINLY. But anyway - I have never said my mask protects me. It (mainly) does not. This a long running failure-to-understand things that I do not grasp.

Before COVID - why do you think Asian people wore masks so much? It was NOT about self-protection. It was about manners - they were afraid to spread their germs to you, because maybe they had a cold or whatever.

This is EXACTLY that. Nothing more or less. You wear your mask to keep your germs to yourself. It has ALWAYS been that way.
There are many reasons that (principally Japanese) wore masks prior to 2019 outdoors.

I actually asked this to some Japanese well before this pandemic. One interesting reply was they're shy and like masks so no one can see their emotions (eg if they're smiling). They compared it to wearing sunglasses everywhere in the West.

Other than the Japanese, mask wearing was really infrequent in other asian countries. And were often woren because of smog and pollution.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:23 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
The six feet thing was based on flu guidelines because that's what they were comparing it to at the time. The best personal protection is to wear a properly-fitting N95 or similar mask. Wearing other masks might help reduce the amount of COVID in the air IF the wearer has it, but they aren't 100 percent effective.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-27-2021, 04:40 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
But I though we had too much corona? So you're saying masks work GREAT with the flu, but not so great with corona virus? How is that possible?
It is not just masks, it is also social distancing and handwashing. Kids are big vectors for spreading flu, especially to their elders. Kids have not been in school.

It works because flu is less infectious than the coronavirus and does not have the degree of asymptomatic spread that the coronavirus does.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Every time I'm at the grocery store I think of this. I'm on a line indoors, standing on a piece of tape 6 feet from the guy in front of me. Then, two minutes later, I move up, and I'm standing in his spot, breathing in his air, and so on. This is pretty much true for the whole shopping trip. Through my mask, but still. I wear an n95 but many people wear ridiculous cloth masks with gaps on the sides.
A better complaint might be about being locked down for a year, American schools and businesses forced to close, being banned from visiting loved ones in nursing homes, denying ourselves the pleasure of family gatherings during the major holidays, hearing a daily count of the number of dead, dying and sick.... while our current president floods our nation with foreigners. What kind of sense does that make?

Yeah, my mask has gaps because I need to breathe. So does my husband. We're both in our 70s. We can't breathe well even in a loose mask.

The truth is, your n95 mask is equally ridiculous and inferior in a nation with wide-open borders during a pandemic.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Didn't Fauci say 3 feet was ok in schools?

1 mask, 2 masks, 3 feet, 6 feet ...

It's like a Dr Seuss book. Oh, wait. That's RACIST.

The world surrounding us is insane.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Didn't Fauci say 3 feet was ok in schools?

1 mask, 2 masks, 3 feet, 6 feet ...

It's like a Dr Seuss book. Oh, wait. That's RACIST.

The world surrounding us is insane.
Maybe it wasnt the primary objective but the covid experiment was an important fact finding exercise

Governments now know that when they tell the citizenry how high to jump, a majority will unquestionably jump as high as they are told.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:02 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe it wasnt the primary objective but the covid experiment was an important fact finding exercise

Governments now know that when they tell the citizenry how high to jump, a majority will unquestionably jump as high as they are told.
I know. Obedience testing.

They were probably laughing their ass-s off at the fights in grocery stores when someone went down the aisle the wrong way.

Think about it: A person walking down a grocery store aisle .. getting screamed at .. just unbelieveable.

But here we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies