Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 07:37 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

I would imagine that on any given day in America, at least one cop has made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Just think of all the times you've had your fast food order screwed up going through the drive thru... The thing about police in this day and age is most are carrying body cams, so these mistakes quickly become the news of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloatingsting View Post
I don’t get it a few dozen bad stories equate to all cops are bad? Cops have millions of interactions on a daily basis. Why are people so eager to make generalizations based on everything you hear in the news media. Do you think because the media only reports stories on teachers that sleep with students that all of them do?
I don't think all cops are bad but some of them shouldn't be cops. I think that you have to be a special kind of person to be one because it is a stressful job.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Why was a person known to have dementia driving a car?

You do realize this is America right? Most places in the U.S. don’t make it possible to have any other mode of transportation than automobile.
She was walking.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:43 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Why was a person known to have dementia driving a car?

You do realize this is America right? Most places in the U.S. don’t make it possible to have any other mode of transportation than automobile.
that's true, but someone else can drive.
not that it matters, she was a pedestrian.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
That was sad. All she could think to say its "Im going home". One has to think if they had taken the time to talk to her for a couple of seconds instead of assuming she was running from them they would have figured it out. He dislocated her shoulder.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
My Father has Sundowners which is a form of dementia. I've dealt with it for a while now, and even medical professionals can have difficulty dealing with patients with dementia.

If medical professionals with specific training can have difficulty, why should a cop not given any training be expected to perform better?

Knowledge of dementia and associated diseases is not comprehensive. Each case is unique and it takes a lot of exposure to have any real skills to handle these patients.

It was probably rough on both the woman and the cop.

I'd cut him some slack.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 PM

735 posts, read 654,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I would imagine that on any given day in America, at least one cop has made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Just think of all the times you've had your fast food order screwed up going through the drive thru... The thing about police in this day and age is most are carrying body cams, so these mistakes quickly become the news of the day.
I would imagine that on any given day in America, at least one commercial airplane pilot has made a mistake.

Oh wait, no they didn’t, because they knew that they were getting into a high-stakes job that could cost people’s lives and well-being.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lousy people skills, and they need an intervention of some kind.
but.. why was someone known to have dementia driving a car in the first place?
Why didn't the cop fail to immediately identify the woman's dementia?

Lousy people skills is right- the cop needed them the most.

Why would someone with dementia be driving a car? Because they thought they still had the ability to drive!
Just like you do.

Would you raise hell if a cop stopped you and said you are too demented to drive your own car?
Yes. I'm sure you would.
I would too.

A drivers license is a privilege, but we all have the right to apply to get that privilege, and denying the privilege has to be proven if anyone passes the test.

If you haven't had to take some loved family member's driving license away from them yet, you will, some day.

When it happens, you will learn it isn't simple nor easy to do. Think of your comment here when your day comes.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:58 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
A police officer who arrested a 73-year-old woman with dementia, pushing her to the ground and handcuffing her, after she walked away from a store without paying for about $14 worth of items last year was placed on administrative leave Thursday pending the outcome of a police investigation into the arrest.

The moves came a day after Karen Garner filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Loveland and police officers over her June 2020 arrest. Two other officers targeted in the lawsuit — a backup officer and a supervisory sergeant — have been reassigned to administrative duties, the Loveland Police Department said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-dem...165844640.html

What is wrong with cops? It is getting scary.
Why go to this extreme for $14. It just makes no sense to me.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Default Democratic Colorado: Loveland police torture elderly women with dementia, laugh at about poping her shoulder and wrists

There are so excellent police departments like Gilbert, Arizona and some terrible police departments that like to torture disabled and elderly people like Loveland, Colorado.

According to the Loveland police chief: "The Loveland Police Department is committed to serving through courteous and professional service"

I guess courteous and professional service in Loveland, Colorado means torturing frail elderly women unable to communicate because she was in an advanced state of dementia.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/attorney...during-arrest/

https://www.9news.com/article/news/i...2-9d281b8d6f44

https://www.lovgov.org/services/police/chief-of-police

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-26-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies