Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

As much as I despise narcissists and their never ending need to post every second of their lives on social media, in this particular case I would side with the federal appeals court opinion that she could not be punished as her message was posted off-campus. Besides, she posted only a profane venting, not directing her profanity at the school or anyone associated with it.

Uncle Joe's administration by the way sides with the school district in that she should be held accountable for her conduct regardless of it being off-campus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-c...135542855.html

Quote:
When a ninth grader at a Pennsylvania high school discovered one Saturday that she didn't make the varsity cheerleading team and would remain on the junior varsity squad, she lashed out the way her peers often do — on social media.

What happened next is the subject of a case the Supreme Court will hear Wednesday involving the free speech rights of students nationwide.

Brandi Levy responded to the rejection by taking a photo of herself and a friend at a convenience store with their middle fingers raised. She repeatedly used a vulgar four-letter verb to write, "f--- school f--- softball f--- cheer f--- everything." She posted that message on Snapchat to 250 friends and assumed it would vanish, like any post on that site, within 24 hours.

"I wasn't really thinking about it when I was making it. I was just upset at everything," she said in an interview. "I just wanted to blow off steam."

But another student found out about the message, took a screenshot and showed it to her mother, who happened to be one of the school's two cheerleading coaches. Brandi was suspended from the junior varsity team for her entire sophomore year.

She and her parents sued, and a federal appeals court ruled that because her message was posted off campus, she was beyond the reach of school authorities and for that reason could not be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 08:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
It will be an interesting case, from a legal-geek perspective (which includes me). I'll be interested in reading the opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies