Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're actually interested in this question, I could post a link where you could contact those who are moving mountains to get the homeless in Austin registered to vote.

"Incredibly easy" is a relative term, and it's not about being "too dumb". It's about being on the fringe.

I don't know the ratio of people who have trouble getting photo ID and what race they are, but if you live on the fringe it's highly unlikely you have a birth certificate and a utility bill or apartment lease contract on you handy.

I'm for requiring photo ID - but on the other hand, I fully understand that some segments of our society who are otherwise legal voters won't be able to obtain a photo ID without a real effort.
Come on, you've got to be a bit more specific than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 08:30 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Florida is planning to DENY college photo IDs as acceptable IDs for voting.

If college students voted GOP in big numbers, you wouldn't see this new voting restriction discussed in Florida. But college students and younger voters vote D more often.

So the Republican controlled Florida legislature wants to reduce their votes. Most of the college students also have drivers licenses or IDs but sometimes they didn't switch them to Florida even though they live in Florida.

If Florida GOP can get 5% or 10% of college students to NOT vote because they only have their Student ID on them on voting day or because they never updated their drivers license to Florida, then the GOP will have succeeded by keeping some Dem voters from voting.

In close elections, if you can reduce votes for Dems by a few thousand here, a few thousand there, it could flip the election. This is the sole reason Florida wants to deny College Ids as valid forms of ID that are accepted for voting.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Come on, you've got to be a bit more specific than that.
I already was more specific, in this thread. I cited the effort by a group in Austin to try to register homeless citizens to vote and procure the required photo ID. The effort is enormous, if you're homeless or "on the fringe" in other ways.

There are a LOT of people who don't have a certified birth certificate and another form of ID such as a utility bill or apartment lease contract on hand.

On the other hand, I'm still for photo ID to vote, but I'm not blind to the fact that a lot of people won't have access to a photo ID who otherwise are eligible to vote. I understand that creates a barrier to voting for a segment of our population.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I already was more specific, in this thread. I cited the effort by a group in Austin to try to register homeless citizens to vote and procure the required photo ID. The effort is enormous, if you're homeless or "on the fringe" in other ways.

There are a LOT of people who don't have a certified birth certificate and another form of ID such as a utility bill or apartment lease contract on hand.

On the other hand, I'm still for photo ID to vote, but I'm not blind to the fact that a lot of people won't have access to a photo ID who otherwise are eligible to vote. I understand that creates a barrier to voting for a segment of our population.
Right...
There are roughly a half million homeless individuals in the US, and it has been said, 1 in ten of those actually vote. I'm sure there can be a way to get those handful of people the ability to vote.
A far as the "LOT" of people that you mention...yeah, I'm sorry, they need to do a bit better and attain an ID. It isn't impossible.

https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/a...ions-heres-why

https://endhomelessness.org/homeless...l%20population.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I don't understand this problem here??? I've ALWAYS shown my ID to vote. I never knew this was even an issue???

Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
Clara. The person is living somewhere. They get an electric bill or a phone bill or a gas bill or get money deposited from somewhere or receive a check from somewhere or they have family somewhere.

Clara. It really is not difficult. Democrats are simply trying to convince people it's too difficult because they don't want checks and balances on our election system.

It's really that simple. Democrats want to leave the door open to possible issues. Republicans don't.
Exactly this.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:13 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
I think the issue here is it's difficult for people on the margins to get photo ID, and get registered to vote.

Currently in Austin there is a proposition on the ballot to ban public camping, to try to curtail other cities from bringing their homeless to Austin to live here in our parks and under our overpasses. There is a big effort by those against banning public camping to get those who are actually homeless under bridges out to vote.

The effort is herculean, to get someone who is on the edges of society to be able to legally cast a vote. So that's the pushback, of the 23% who see that requiring photo ID will keep some citizens, who otherwise are eligible to vote, from the polls.
Maybe a good start for them would be to offer them free IDs so they can start doing other things that can possible improve themselves like finding jobs and contribute to society in a positive way. I do not think giving homeless an ID just so that they can vote should be a priority. Do you?

Old 04-27-2021, 09:19 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting......

Fox News Poll: 77% support requiring photo ID for voting

A new Fox News poll, released Monday, finds 77 percent of voters nationally think "a valid form of state or federally issued photo identification to prove U.S. citizenship" should be needed for voting. That’s down from a high of 85 percent who felt that way when Fox first asked the same survey question 10 years ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...-id-for-voting
Even Biden's own state has voter ID law, and it has no early voting, so neanderthal.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:24 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Maybe a good start for them would be to offer them free IDs so they can start doing other things that can possible improve themselves like finding jobs and contribute to society in a positive way. I do not think giving homeless an ID just so that they can vote should be a priority. Do you?
That has been my point in the past. You need a photo ID to do so many mundane things in the US, from buying beer, opening bank accounts, flying on a plane, driving a car, collecting government welfare, etc... If low income minorities are missing out on being able to participate in soooo many every day things, because they do not have IDs, then don't you think if the Democrats gave a flying rat's ass, they would be pushing legislation to get these poor people a photo ID????????

Truth is, the Democrats DON'T give a flying rat's ass about those people, it's all about politics with them, always has been, always will be.

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-27-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 09:29 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
Clara. The person is living somewhere. They get an electric bill or a phone bill or a gas bill or get money deposited from somewhere or receive a check from somewhere or they have family somewhere.
College students don't get utility bills when they live on campus. Their family is located at a different address, so they can't use daddy's utility bill. If a college photo ID cannot be used to vote, they would have difficulty getting a drivers license using the dorm address if utility bills are required to show they live there (to get Drivers License at the dorm address). This is enough hassle that some students just leave their drivers license with their parents' address. Especially since students usually have a different address each year while in college. Who wants to change their drivers license every year just to be allowed to vote and have to have 2 diff utility bills at the dorm address in order to change DL to that address every year.

This is why the GOP wants to refuse allowing College Student Photo ID for voting. They know some students won't vote if they can't use their Student Id and they know those students skew heavy toward voting for Democrats. They tell the students to vote in the location where their parents live. But the students are hundreds of miles away from there, perhaps in a different state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies