Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is not an issue of "getting someone to a facility".

It's about producing identification that is sufficient to get a photo ID.

You're not understanding the problem here, at all. The problem isn't getting to a place to take their picture.

The problem is identifying themselves sufficiently to qualify for a photo ID. And that requires ID. Getting an ID, requires ID.

A birth certificate plus a utility bill with their name on it, for example.
When I moved I had to have a certified copy of my birth certificate, certified copy of my marriage license from my first marriage, certified copy of my divorce papers from that marriage, certified copy of my current marriage license, a utility bill with my name on it, and my DL from my previous state. It took over a month to order and receive the documents each one cost money to have certified copies sent as the originals were lost due to theft of a uhaul when I moved. About $150 in getting new documents, and an additional $25 for my DL which is good for 4 years. Many can not afford that.

IF a voter ID was so important why doesn't the state issue one when people register to vote? The state is supposedly verifying the information to add people who register why can't they a card once a person is registered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:25 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Dunno. Don't really care, either. Just debunking an oft-repeated straw man about minorities and poor people being "too dumb" to be able to get IDs.
Well, I'm sure both you and I agree that minorities are not "too dumb" to attain an ID. There is truth though, that politicians are definitely using them as a crutch against requiring voter ID.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:34 AM

13,452 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
When I moved I had to have a certified copy of my birth certificate, certified copy of my marriage license from my first marriage, certified copy of my divorce papers from that marriage, certified copy of my current marriage license, a utility bill with my name on it, and my DL from my previous state. It took over a month to order and receive the documents each one cost money to have certified copies sent as the originals were lost due to theft of a uhaul when I moved. About $150 in getting new documents, and an additional $25 for my DL which is good for 4 years. Many can not afford that.

IF a voter ID was so important why doesn't the state issue one when people register to vote? The state is supposedly verifying the information to add people who register why can't they a card once a person is registered?

this is Mexico? what state is this? $150? you are full of crap. If you have a DL from a previous state and a current utility bill or apt/house lease or mortgage papers that is all you need to swap the DL from one state to another. You don't need to bring copies of your marriages or divorce (those are not proved of I.D.) or your high school grades.

you need a proven I.D. (your previous state D.L or I.D. works, passport, military I.D and even the Native card works)and evidence that you are a new residence in the state. That's a current utility bill, apartment/house lease or mortgage papers that you bought the place. That's it. You don't need certified marriage or divorce papers or your high school report card from 1993. It's simple and to the point.

States will give you FREE I.D. You can't lie to them and say you are broke and drive to the DMV with a nice truck.

Let me get this straight, you can afford to pay to get married and get divorced but complain of a $25 fee for a D.L. that states will give free I.D. if you are broke? LMAO!

To get married and divorce you need an I.D. Try again with your lame excuses.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 04-29-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
this is Mexico? what state is this? $150? you are full of crap. If you have a DL from a previous state and a current utility bill or apt/house lease or mortgage papers that is all you need to swap the DL from one state to another. You don't need to bring copies of your marriages or divorce (those are not proved of I.D.) or your high school grades.

you need a proven I.D. (your previous state D.L or I.D. works, passport, military I.D and even the Native card works)and evidence that you are a new residence in the state. That's a current utility bill, apartment/house lease or mortgage papers that you bought the place. That's it. You don't need certified marriage or divorce papers or your high school report card from 1993. It's simple and to the point.

States will give you FREE I.D. You can't lie to them and say you are broke and drive to the DMV with a nice truck.

Let me get this straight, you can afford to pay to get married and get divorced but complain of a $25 fee for a D.L. that states will give free I.D. if you are broke? LMAO!

To get married and divorce you need an I.D. Try again with your lame excuses.
This is MS. They would not take my out of state DL without all of the above info too. The marriage and divorce docs to show document the changes to my name since birth.

Certified BC was $25.
Certified marriage licences $25 each
Certified divorce papers $25 plus expenses to drive 12 hours each way because they had to be picked up in person from the county courthouse.

Yes women have to account for name changes due to marriage and divorce if your name no longer matches your birth certificate.

And I wan't complaining because I could afford it, I was stating that some people may not be able to afford the fees associated with collecting the required documentation to get a state issued DL.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:58 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Other than homeless, I never knew a poor person without a picture ID. And even most homeless have it so they can buy alcohol and cigarettes.

The mainstream media loves throwing sand in the air around this issue. Let's cut to the heart -> does anyone have a study on the % of Americans with no picture ID?

Old 04-29-2021, 11:01 AM

Easy solution.

When you register to vote they should take your picture. Once you are verified as a registered voter they can send you a card much like a voter registration card with that picture on it.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:02 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,657 times
It's "racist" because it doesn't let the Democrats cheat by voting multiple times.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:04 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Easy solution.

When you register to vote they should take your picture. Once you are verified as a registered voter they can send you a card much like a voter registration card with that picture on it.
Another option I just thought of reading this -> take a picture of everyone who votes, store it in a database with their SSN.

When there is an audit, pull every record, retrieve the SSN and picture of the person and compare that picture to the real person with that SSN (in most cases, those records can be found, if not outreach can narrow it). If the % of mismatches is enough to throw the election, re-do it, this time with more strict protocols.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:06 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That is exactly what they are saying. Too dumb and too lazy...
Cite, please.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well, I'm sure both you and I agree that minorities are not "too dumb" to attain an ID. There is truth though, that politicians are definitely using them as a crutch against requiring voter ID.
Yes, politicians are obviously using the poor and minorities as ammunition for their arguments against voter IDs. I take no exception to that assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies