Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 AM

717 posts, read 452,728 times

Advertisements

Here is a prime example

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6...b09cce6c143b10

This article headlines that rightwing Conservatives are making a masterminded effort to rewrite the Constitution through pushing for a Constitutional Convention in 34 states and that any freedom is up for grabs

The truth is more like:
Individuals are using their freedom of assembly to advocate for change the same way all Americans are free to do so. They are not doing anything wrong, they are not dictating or forcing a change on anyone but simply rallying voters to get out and informing them of policies which they have a right to support or oppose in their own free will.
Among the ones most being advocated for by this group is a balanced budget initiative, which makes perfect sense considering the growing size of our national debt and the future consequences on our faith and credit as a country. Other more controversial initiatives will be decided by the American public and their elected officials.

This article is written with a leftist bias and I’m Liberal myself and can assert to that.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:46 AM

I think we need to be careful about both political extremes. I get at odds with the rightwing when there’s overhype about the LGBTQ and trans movement being something other than freedom of gender identity and individuality. I have countless friends who are part of the LGBTQ community and among all religions and they are kind folks, I am so lucky to have them as my friends. I also think healthcare reform can be much improved but a decent system should not treat patients by how much of dollars they pay in but part of a system that is similar to our 911 emergency service. Healthcare in a developed country is not and should not be a commodity.

On the other hand, I have commonality with the right on these issues.

1) We should not solve all problems with Federal Govt running things, we should promote private companies that have solutions pre-empt Govt ones.

2) We should weigh economics and cost-effectiveness into programs , eliminating ones that don’t add value

3) We need a balanced budget initiative to curb out of control Govt spending

4) We need to acknowledge alternative viewpoints and allow freedom of wider opinions, we should have checks on the way press articles title their articles and maybe we need an independent organization that checks the titles of media articles and discredits the ones that jump to hyperboles

Old 04-27-2021, 08:47 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
You are confusing a news column with a news report. It's supposed to have an opinion.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
I first became aware of this drive to have a Constitutional Convention when I got involved in Texas passing the equal Rights Amendment. Ann Richards was governor.

States sign on for their own particular reasons. Some have signed on to it and then signed off. SO it goes.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I first became aware of this drive to have a Constitutional Convention when I got involved in Texas passing the equal Rights Amendment. Ann Richards was governor.

States sign on for their own particular reasons. Some have signed on to it and then signed off. SO it goes.
Constitutional Conventions are an expression of the power vested in the citizenry and the states which provides a healthy check on National authority which is what keeps our republic ruled by the people and not inherently by an elite group of just the 538 and that’s important.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:17 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Constitutional Conventions are an expression of the power vested in the citizenry and the states which provides a healthy check on National authority which is what keeps our republic ruled by the people and not inherently by an elite group of just the 538 and that’s important.

Sounds good in theory but with Citizens United and the vast sums of dark money floating around a constitutional convention would serve various corporate interests first, the people's second.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Thanks for the tutorial.

This signing onto the convention by states is also an expression of the power of the elite group currently controlling each state. IMO, that's why some states signed onto it and then rescinded.

IMO, the controlling group is currently and has been for years, the Council for National Policy.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:26 AM

9,863 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Hmmm, much like the social media sites like C-D and reddit. Did today's 'reportORs' start/learn from social media or did social media learn from the msm.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:47 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sounds good in theory but with Citizens United and the vast sums of dark money floating around a constitutional convention would serve various corporate interests first, the people's second.
The entire world is run by corporate interests. And they elevate themselves into positions of power.
Look at Bill Gates...he's now a "medical expert" lauded over by the media with this pandemic.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The entire world is run by corporate interests. And they elevate themselves into positions of power.
Look at Bill Gates...he's now a "medical expert" lauded over by the media with this pandemic.
But if those same corporations did not control who was elected by their funding and pr, maybe plain ol citizens would have a voice. Citizens United just put corporations and foreigners in control of the entire government of the USA.

Don't re elect anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies