Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 04:22 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
In the antebellum period, the purpose of race-based enslavement was to preserve & expand slavocracy or plantocracy based on the perception of slave power & white supremacy.

Once the American Civil War ended, the focus became indoctrination of Lost Cause mythologies to legitimize, justify, ensure, preserve & expand white supremacist ideologies.
This right here. The last time a Civil War took place, it was the South that wanted secession, and slavery was at the heart of it. This is something I have to think about when someone mentions "civil war" in America. I have to ask "what's in it for me"? Anyone who would want me to think that a civil war would be a good idea, one has to answer this question: What's in it for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 04:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,027 times
You really think the Armchair warriors who watch Fox News and post BackTheBlue memes on Facebook are gonna win a real civil war, just because they talk tough online or own guns? Haha!!

One thing that should worry you is that, if a civil war does break out(which it most likely won't), the Biden administration or the "powers that be" will ensure that the police force and armed militia will NOT be on your side if you're on the right wing side of the war. And things could look very bleak....

Old 05-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
You really think the Armchair warriors who watch Fox News and post BackTheBlue memes on Facebook are gonna win a civil war, just because they talk tough online or own guns? Haha!!

One thing that should worry you is that, if a civil war does break out(which it most likely won't), the Biden administration or the "powers that be" will ensure that the police force and armed militia will NOT be on your side if you're on the right wing side of the war. And things could look very bleak....
This is something I would have to be worried about in any administration.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
After the Civil War every officer who took up arms against the United States should have been tried as a traitor and either jailed or executed. Since there was no Confederate Army before the war the enlisted ranks could only be tried for crimes they committed.
Our failure in the 1860s still nags us everyday.
I agree with you on that.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
A Civil War is never a good idea. If you think supply chain issues have been bad with Covid, a shooting civil war would be much, much worse. People would be starving inside 3-4 days, even if they were far from the fighting.

A Civil War might be necessary, however, and I think if that happens it will start very much like the last one, with individual states saying that enough-is-enough and declaring the Federal government null and void. I'm feeling just a little better about things now. The Biden administration does seem to be starting to react somewhat to public sentiment about it's numerous missteps, and we're finally starting to see some push back against CRT and the movement to cancel people engaged in free speech. I hope it's enough to get us through to the mid-terms and maybe flip the House and Senate to put a check on things.
When people start starving, it won't be just war you will worry about. Crime rates will go up the roof. I don't see anything good coming out of another civil war.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
In the antebellum period, the purpose of race-based enslavement was to preserve & expand slavocracy or plantocracy based on the perception of slave power & white supremacy.
What do you think "slave-power" was? Cotton is King? If it wasn't profitable it wouldn't have existed.

So again, why didn't it exist in the north? Or better yet, why did Britain and France abolish slavery decades before we did? Freedom? Equality? Britain nearly abolished slavery during the American Revolution. There was great concern during the revolutionary war that the British were trying to agitate a slave-rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%27s_Proclamation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipsburg_Proclamation

Britain abolished slavery because it was in their "national interests". They were an industrial country that used labor-saving machines to produce high-value goods and sell them internationally. They could buy cotton from us for $1, turn it into a shirt and sell it back to us for $5. This kept an excess of money flowing into Britain. And what did Britain do with all that money?

Industry is incompatible with slave labor. Slavery is only useful in basic agriculture. The moment a country tries to industrialize/modernize, it must abolish not only slavery, but serfdom. The Russians abolished serfdom in 1861, the same year the Civil War began.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanci...reform_of_1861

The most immediate cause of the Civil War was the north's insistence on raising tariffs to protect and subsidize their manufacturing. At one time, the south had a near monopoly on the production of cotton. But through the mid-1800's, other countries began growing it as well. Especially Egypt and India.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ver-180959967/

https://www.investindia.gov.in/team-...industry-india

The south understood that if tariffs were raised significantly, and Britain and France issued retaliatory tariffs against the United States, the profit-margins on cotton would fall to the point that it would no longer be economically-viable. Or put simply, it would make most southern assets worthless, and would lead to the immediate abolition of slavery.

Now, if you had read Alexis De Tocqueville's book, Democracy in America, you would understand that when the Northern states abolished slavery, they didn't do so immediately. They would say, "All slaves dwelling in this state next year will be legally free".

https://www.marxists.org/reference/a...erica/ch18.htm

To understand, imagine if New York State said that on January 1st, 2022, cars with a gas engine registered to New York residents will no longer be able to drive on New York roads. Do you think all the New York residents would just take their cars to the scrapyard? Or would they just sell them to people in other states?

When Northern states abolished slavery, slaves were just moved to the south. The truth is, most of the people in the south hated slavery, but they refused to free them, and they had nowhere to send them.

Quote:
Once the American Civil War ended, the focus became indoctrination of Lost Cause mythologies to legitimize, justify, ensure, preserve & expand white supremacist ideologies.
Once the Civil War ended, the North seized control of southern governments, denied the right to vote to most white men, while granting voting rights to blacks. They did this for one reason only, to control the southern governments with the appearance of legitimacy. The policies they pushed were those supported by Northern "Republicans". Which were in the interest of northern manufacturers, often at the expense of the south.

The freed slaves overwhelmingly voted Republican, not because they understood what they were voting for, but because they voted for the party that freed the slaves. This further fueled hatred by whites against the newly freed blacks to the point they tried to stop blacks from voting, mostly through intimidation/violence.

But it was really about politics, not race. If blacks had been voting the "right way", they would have had no problems.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-16-2021 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 04:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What do you think "slave-power" was? Cotton is King? If it wasn't profitable it wouldn't have existed.

So again, why didn't it exist in the north? Or better yet, why did Britain and France abolish slavery decades before we did? Freedom? Equality? Britain nearly abolished slavery during the American Revolution. There was great concern during the revolutionary war that the British were trying to agitate a slave-rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%27s_Proclamation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipsburg_Proclamation

Britain abolished slavery because it was in their "national interests". They were an industrial country that used labor-saving machines to produce high-value goods and sell them internationally. They could buy cotton from us for $1, turn it into a shirt and sell it back to us for $5. This kept an excess of money flowing into Britain. And what did Britain do with all that money?

Industry is incompatible with slave labor. Slavery is only useful in basic agriculture. The moment a country tries to industrialize/modernize, it must abolish not only slavery, but serfdom. The Russians abolished serfdom in 1861, the same year the Civil War began.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanci...reform_of_1861

The most immediate cause of the Civil War was the north's insistence on raising tariffs to protect and subsidize their manufacturing. At one time, the south had a near monopoly on the production of cotton. But through the mid-1800's, other countries began growing it as well. Especially Egypt and India.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ver-180959967/

https://www.investindia.gov.in/team-...industry-india

The south understood that if tariffs were raised significantly, and Britain and France issued retaliatory tariffs against the United States, the profit-margins on cotton would fall to the point that it would no longer be economically-viable. Or put simply, it would make most southern assets worthless, and would lead to the immediate abolition of slavery.

Now, if you had read Alexis De Tocqueville's book, Democracy in America, you would understand that when the Northern states abolished slavery, they didn't do so immediately. They would say, "All slaves dwelling in this state next year will be legally free".

To understand, imagine if New York State said that on January 1st, 2022, cars with a gas engine registered to New York residents will no longer be able to drive on New York roads. Do you think all the New York residents would just take their cars to the scrapyard? Or would they just sell them to people in other states?

When Northern states abolished slavery, slaves were just moved to the south. The truth is, most of the people in the south wanted to abolish slavery, but they refused to free them, and they had nowhere to send them.

Once the Civil War ended, the North seized control of southern governments, denied the right to vote to most white men, while granting voting rights to blacks. They did this for one reason only, to control the southern governments with the appearance of legitimacy. The policies they pushed were those supported by Northern "Republicans". Which were in the interest of northern manufacturers, often at the expense of the south.

The freed slaves overwhelmingly voted Republican, not because they understood what they were voting for, but because they voted for the party that freed the slaves. This further fueled hatred by whites against the newly freed blacks to the point they tried to stop blacks from voting, mostly through intimidation/violence.

But it was really about politics, not race. If blacks had been voting the "right way", they would have had no problems.
Your reasoning is circular, littered with logical fallacies, & historical inaccuracies.

Take your last sentence fr'instance, assuming you're speaking about the reconstruction era.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Take your last sentence fr'instance, assuming you're speaking about the reconstruction era.
Government is always controlled by "economic interests". The reason the people in Texas vote for Republicans is because they are largely an agricultural and energy-driven economy, and Republican party policies cater more to those industries.

Now, imagine if half the white people in Texas were suddenly stripped of their right to vote. Pretty much every Republican politician would lose his seat, and the government would fall into the hands of Democrats. And those Democrats likely won't be serving the interests of the large Texas businesses.

These Texas businesses will understand this and use their money/influence to regain power of the government. Which means they'll either have to find a way to convince minorities to vote Republican, or they'll have to stop minorities from voting.

In the case of the south post-Civil War, blacks 100% voted for a political party that did not represent southern business, and convincing them to vote differently was basically impossible. So a course was set out to prevent them from voting. Thus shifting power back to southern business.

EDIT: Let me add. They asked Nancy Pelosi not long ago about lowering the voting age to 16. She said she thought it was a good idea. But does she actually believe it is a good idea? Or is she a politician who understands that 16-year olds would vote overwhelmingly for democrats? The same logic applies to lowering the voting age to 18. To giving women a right to vote. And of course, giving blacks a right to vote. The reason Abraham Lincoln pushed to give blacks a right to vote was because he knew they would vote for his party. Stop ascribing moral sentiments to politics. Politics is a cynical game of money and power. Morality is never even a consideration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiftee...s_Constitution

"The presidency in 1868 convinced a majority of Republicans that protecting the franchise of black male voters was important for the party's future."

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-16-2021 at 05:26 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 05:06 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
You really think the Armchair warriors who watch Fox News and post BackTheBlue memes on Facebook are gonna win a real civil war, just because they talk tough online or own guns? Haha!!

What's with this stereotyping of conservatives and nasty insinuations? See, this is what I hate about you leftists.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's with this stereotyping of conservatives and nasty insinuations? See, this is what I hate about you leftists.
Lol...go through my posting history right now and tell me that I'm a Leftist. I'm a Centrist who speaks my mind on both sides.

I could joke and say that the blue haired "woke" Feminazis who post Black Lives Matter on Twitter all day aren't suited for a civil war either.

If my answer was too politically incorrect though, I apologize.

Funny how you missed my whole point though which you honestly should be paying attention to if you're on the Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies