Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

I just moved out of the city, Best idea yet!! so peaceful here. i went from the city's "concrete canyon" and noise, to serene parklike area! the rewards of this place far outweigh any sights i would have seen in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, so it's average. Guess I thought Minneapolis had far less crime than that. And yes , Flint is horrible.
I’m not sure where you drew that conclusion from? Minneapolis is a big city (it’s the commercial center of the 16th largest metropolitan area in the country with 3.7 million people). There are some impoverished neighborhoods where crime is concentrated. This is nothing new.

As I stated previously, the narrative that crime is “out of control” here is overblown. If we can extrapolate the homicide data in your Flint comparison it would seem that there is 4 1/2 times less crime here per capita than in Flint, which is pretty insane.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:59 AM

1,301 posts, read 665,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
The internet has made the world a much smaller place....no need to live in congested cities.

By the mid to late 90s and 2000s, people were flocking to cities because they were becoming safer, and they offered plenty of entertainment and amenities. Unfortunately, Democrat policies are now destroying our cities, and people are moving back to the burbs or smaller towns.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:00 AM

1,301 posts, read 665,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I just moved out of the city, Best idea yet!! so peaceful here. i went from the city's "concrete canyon" and noise, to serene parklike area! the rewards of this place far outweigh any sights i would have seen in the city.

Who or what do you blame most for ruining cities?

Just curious what other people think.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Unfortunately, Democrat policies are now destroying our cities, and people are moving back to the burbs or smaller towns.
I guess nobody learned the lesson of Detroit's downfall since the Democratic takeover there in 1962.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:09 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m not sure where you drew that conclusion from? Minneapolis is a big city (it’s the commercial center of the 16th largest metropolitan area in the country with 3.7 million people). There are some impoverished neighborhoods where crime is concentrated. This is nothing new.

As I stated previously, the narrative that crime is “out of control” here is overblown. If we can extrapolate the homicide data in your Flint comparison it would seem that there is 4 1/2 times less crime here per capita than in Flint, which is pretty insane.
I guess I always thought it was like Duluth, maybe slightly bigger. So a more fair comparison would be to someplace like Atlanta. And yes, Flint is bad, without a doubt.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2021 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 11:18 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, I know.

The article is based on things that happened in the past.

I'm talking about things that are happening today and the trend in the future.

Lots of people starting to move back to the cities.

People with money are still buying property in rural Vermont (and in our neighboring states of NH and ME), often sight unseen, and above the already high asking prices. Those with the means to do so are still leaving the cities. I've got people coming up my un-maintained road in remote Essex County VT from NYC and thereabouts to look at absolutely junk land (on a 30 acre lot at the bottom of the hill that was clearcut 3 years ago, all but maybe 1 acre floods annually) for sale near me to build on. It's pretty crazy. Land that was on the market for years in a dying town is suddenly in demand. Locals aren't too thrilled at the newcomers either and are getting creative to discourage them.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:21 AM

5,334 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Where is that?

And as I mentioned, outside of the city, places don’t have the same amenities as the city which you agreed with when you posted that people move there & complain about lack of amenities that are available in the city.
In no way did I agree with you. Just because they whine about it it doesn't mean the amenities don't exist. In actuality, we have MORE amenities when you consider the natural landscape as opposed to the concrete jungles they come from. Maybe they miss all the fast food joints. We don't have a single one here and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Nice thing is, this place will never become what they left. Don't move to a place you love then try to change it.

I have lived in Philly, Baltimore and Detroit. I loved city living. However, I much prefer the sounds of the ocean waves and shore birds to the sounds of the streets. It's a different way of life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess I always thought it was like Duluth, maybe slightly bigger. So a more fair comparison would be to someplace like Atlanta. And yes, Flint is bad, without a doubt.
U.S. metropolitan areas by population:

#9 - Atlanta - 6,020,364
#14 - Detroit - 4,319,629
#15 - Seattle - 3,979,845
#16 - Minneapolis/Saint Paul - 3,654,908
#17 - San Diego - 3,338,330

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2021 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
U.S. metropolitan areas by population:

#9 - Atlanta - 6,020,364
#14 - Detroit - 4,319,629
#15 - Seattle - 3,979,845
#16 - Minneapolis/Saint Paul - 3,654,908
#17 - San Diego - 3,338,330
And your point is ? I guess I wasn't aware I needed to add the suburbs...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-ga-population

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-mi-population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies