Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a leftist, I'll - -
think it's actually a good thing 39 45.88%
buy a gun 14 16.47%
blame trump 20 23.53%
blame 'white supremacy' 27 31.76%
other 12 14.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 03:23 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

the exodus is already in progress.

Police retirements have soared 45 PERCENT since BLM protests erupted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 05:50 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
I breath easier and basically have ZERO stress in my life after turning in my badge and handgun earlier this year!!

I do feel bad for people who are not able to protect themselves, but all I can say to the public is to buy a handgun and some ammunition to protect yourself and property.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
The same thing has been going on with teachers, but it is attributed to the retirement of the baby boomer generation and good retirement plans.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The same thing has been going on with teachers, but it is attributed to the retirement of the baby boomer generation and good retirement plans.
thanks for that bit of off-topic trivia, mr idiot..

Why Police Have Been Quitting in Droves in the Last Year | NYT
Quote:
A survey of almost 200 police departments indicated that retirements were up 45 percent and resignations rose by 18 percent in the year from April 2020 to April 2021 when compared with the previous 12 months, according to the Police Executive Research Forum, a Washington policy institute.

New York City saw 2,600 officers retire in 2020 compared with 1,509 the year before. Resignations in Seattle increased to 123 from 34 and retirements to 96 from 43. Minneapolis, which had 912 uniformed officers in May 2019, is now down to 699. At the same time, many cities are contending with a rise in shootings and homicides.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:03 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
They will simply hire SS troopers. That was the plan all along.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The youngest baby boomer born in 1964 so that makes them 57 year old in 2021 and the oldest born in 1945 and that makes them 75 y/o. Most cops don’t really work until 57 year old, let alone 75 y/o, because police work is taxing on the body.

Right now the generation X (1965-1980) is the the one retiring from police work.

I am a millennial and I work in LE. I will be eligible to retire in 2026.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:57 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
First let's have some specific examples of cops doing "exactly the right thing" and getting "branded as a 'racist,'" as you allege.

HINT: In a civilized society, kneeling on a handcuffed, unarmed man for 9+ minutes while your colleagues sit and do nothing is not considered "exactly the right thing".
Actually the knee on back is right out of the training manual for most departments. Where this cop went too far was not letting up. A little judgement and moderation goes a long way.

Remember Floyd was hopped up big time on drugs. Most of the guys who get themselves hurt or shot were not just walking down the street minding their own business, or standing at the newsstand buying a paper. Most resisted violently. Hmmm. Rule #1:

Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
First no one is asking for the reduction in police staff. They are only asking for the police to conduct themselves like the public defenders they are paid to be. Stop profiling people of color and social status. Stop shooting to kill first and then asking questions later. And stop employing folks that are afraid of their job.
What do you think dropping the Budget causes?

Old 08-02-2021, 10:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Protip:

Good cops don’t stay in. Instead, they transfer to departments or agencies that will treat them better. Or they quit LE altogether and use their non-LE skill set for other careers. One of my coworkers from LASD quit LASD after 14 years. He is also a talented musician and that’s what he is doing right now. Another coworker was a decorated Green Beret before he joined LE. He is now back in the millitary but this time he is trying to be a helicopter pilot
Which is why massive overhaul of the police in this country is needed. Again, it's not easy, and won't happen overnight. There is turnover in any organization going through big changes. If someone quits because they will be held accountable for their actions, they might not be as good as they think.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:33 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Which is why massive overhaul of the police in this country is needed. Again, it's not easy, and won't happen overnight. There is turnover in any organization going through big changes. If someone quits because they will be held accountable for their actions, they might not be as good as they think.
It's not a national issue. Departments are local, county, or state. One thing we don't need is the feds mucking around in business they have no business mucking around in. And getting the feds involved will create more problems than it could possibly solve.

What I'd suggest as Step One is that any legislator, city councilman, or citizen who has an interest in police reform go on at least a dozen ridealongs. That goes quadruple for the geniuses who want to cut budgets because it feels good.

Most of these geniuses and experts have never been inside a cop car even once, unless it's sitting in back after they got busted for DWI

It would help if they had some vague idea of what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies