Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a leftist, I'll - -
think it's actually a good thing 39 45.88%
buy a gun 14 16.47%
blame trump 20 23.53%
blame 'white supremacy' 27 31.76%
other 12 14.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 08:53 PM

30,413 posts, read 21,638,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You seem to be incredibly misinformed about the ability of Liberals to protect themselves. An enormous number of us are gun owners and quite competent with them. We just don’t feel the need to display them in public in a misguided and futile attempt at gaining respect. We earn ours the old fashioned way.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ors-death.html

Sure you are I think the last time one of the John Brown type groups went marching through Luisville or what ever Podunk city it was, they had an accidental discharge that hit 3 of their members. And the previous event, same thing

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...demonstration/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 09:14 PM

29,169 posts, read 22,142,986 times
I'll wait and see if there is ever an actual exodus before I decide what I would blame anyone or anything.

I don't believe blame is corrective at all. And correction is what is the most needed.

I also don't believe that cops everywhere are pulling their guns too often, or too fast, or are killing someone if they do have to pull a weapon. I refuse to believe this is a universal problem, but if it is, I think some strict and frequent revised training could be the best solution for some police departments.

While other departments may need to have almost their entire force fired and rehabilitated with new hires using new standards that are radically different from those most widely in use by police academies everywhere in the country now.

Most of the training that's being taught originated in the 70s and 80s, when civil crime was at its height, and big areas of our cities had fallen into decay and neglect.
Back then, Fort Apache in the Bronx was a real thing. Cops were under siege and in open combat in some cities back then.

But what's happened in the Bronx since then? All those crumbling tenements were taken over by young white folks, urban professionals, who rehabbed them and turned them into some very desirable, roomy, and expensive apartments. Or invested in family apartments that allowed young families a decent place to live at prices they could afford.

Crime has been going down steadily every since those troubled times, but the police training hasn't changed at all in far too many of their academies. Cops are graduating with the belief they will immediately be exposed to attack that simply won't be there.

And our cops are being called upon to intervene in troubles they were never trained to deal with effectively. I think there is a need for more trained unarmed (or lightly armed) interventionists who are more like social workers than police, but have some of the police's authority to arrest and/or detain.
It's these people, the ones who can instantly discern if a person is having a mental meltdown and know what to do about it, that our police departments need. Mental problems should not ever have to end in a death for anyone except in the very most extreme circumstances.

The police forces need more training for what exists now, not what existed 40 years ago.

If some changes happen, I'm positive the BLM movement would soon disappear peacefully and as quick as the changes became evident to everyone.

But in the meantime, a moratorium on gun use might be a big help for all sides. Wherever the moratorium is needed.

Along with a return of service revolvers instead of high-capacity automatic pistols. Light loads on service ammunition would also help cut down the death rate too. Both as a temporary stepping down from the current too-lethal situation both cops and their victims find themselves in daily now.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:22 PM

18,422 posts, read 9,040,549 times
Why do we need police? We have the 2nd amendment. Fight crime: shoot back. Isn’t that what the pro-gun people have been saying all along? Defund the police, they are a waste of taxpayer dollars!

Old 04-30-2021, 10:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 863,834 times
It's already happening in Seattle, where at least 259 officers have quit since early 2020.
https://mynorthwest.com/2841645/rant...xodus-worsens/

Portland has lost 115 officers since July 2020. Asked in an exit interview why he was leaving one detective said:
Quote:
The community shows zero support. The city council are raging idiots, in addition to being stupid. Additionally, the mayor and council ignore actual facts on crime and policing in favor of radical leftist and anarchists fantasy. What’s worse is ppb command (lt. and above) is arrogantly incompetent and cowardly,
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...in-droves.html

Old 04-30-2021, 10:55 PM

30,413 posts, read 21,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
It's already happening in Seattle, where at least 259 officers have quit since early 2020.
https://mynorthwest.com/2841645/rant...xodus-worsens/

Portland has lost 115 officers since July 2020. Asked in an exit interview why he was leaving one detective said:
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...in-droves.html
Yep, I wonder why they left these wonderful Democrat wonderlands This is what modern Democrats bring to their cities. Unfortunately, with their control of the media, the people in these cities probably don't even realize they are Screwed

Maybe they will get some quality police now that the White Supremist cops are gone

Old 05-01-2021, 02:58 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,346,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
tried to give you a hand
Then you as clueless and delusional as he is. Only quality cops will leave because they can find employment elsewhere. Only the dregs will remain as they have no choice.

People are leaving Democrat cities in droves for safer suburbs. However, they bring their idiocy with them.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:26 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,472,275 times
The nation is becoming poorer and cutting services that were previously considered necessary. State mental health facilities were cut decades ago. When the wealthy have private cops and the rest have a recommendation to always be armed, towns and neighborhoods may start organizing patrols of volunteer cops, or they may have gangs claiming territory and becoming warlords.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why do we need police? We have the 2nd amendment. Fight crime: shoot back. Isn’t that what the pro-gun people have been saying all along? Defund the police, they are a waste of taxpayer dollars!
yep! last time I was given the riot act by a person sharing how guns save lives.

To Be accurate:

The misinformation by the alt right is giving insanity a run for its name.

If a person signed on for public servant, then have the wherewithal to Revise what does not work in the long run. We know that lethal force needs to come from the COMMON sense of the public servant. But how do you train a person who has none? We can surely say it can't come from a CONSERVATIVE since they :Hook line and sinker BOUGHT into the BIGGEST lies ever conjured by a meglomaniac. So best to leave the training or hiring to the Middle of the road, fair minded and rational beings.

If officers leave, then one can only surmise : Is it because the swamp is being cleared of the evil , power hungry , badge wearing officers, or have the Genuinely decent and Respect for the Community officers finally been out numbered and said, Enough is enough. Time to go.

We shall see. In the mean time I'll continue to follow the laws, pay the proper taxes, and support the decent officers willing to resolve mishaps in a rational and civil manner.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:50 AM

27,225 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
First no one is asking for the reduction in police staff. They are only asking for the police to conduct themselves like the public defenders they are paid to be. Stop profiling people of color and social status.
Liberals will always claim that the police are racist because the reality is that a highly disproportionate number of criminals and lawbreakers are black.

So, it is a never ending cycle.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:18 AM

2,828 posts, read 815,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You seem to be incredibly misinformed about the ability of Liberals to protect themselves. An enormous number of us are gun owners and quite competent with them. We just don’t feel the need to display them in public in a misguided and futile attempt at gaining respect. We earn ours the old fashioned way.
Who displays in public? I have been carrying for 25 yrs concealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies