Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 01:48 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
There was nothing good for AA. However, look at the money it made some people by having free labor.
Now I'm depressed. 19th-century version of "It created value for the stockholders!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 01:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What was good about slavery, exactly?

I get that the guy was using the phrase as an umbrella term. But words matter.
If we are to mince words, "Everything dealing with slavery" is not " Slavery".

For example, "Everything dealing with slavery" includes the Civil War. But some poster will come along and say "What was good about war?"

Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Western civilizations in general believe that their introductions of religion, how to live, slavery or annihilation (where applicable) to what was deemed primitive cultures was a benefit. On the other hand I can't count how many cultures were lost completely, enslaved or just molded into second class citizens for generations to come all in the name of western enlightenment...

Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
There was nothing good for AA. However, look at the money it made some people by having free labor. I'm a black man. I'm trying to look at it from the eyes of a potential slave owner.

Yeah people were treated like livestock back then. It was wrong then and it was wrong now. There's a logical reason to own them, but not a good one.

It's SO easy to wipe your hands clean from slavery. All the right has to say is "it was evil, thankfully we're in a different millennium now." But if I say this country was founded on the wicked principle of owning human beings, I'll get a bunch of people instinctively on the defense because they consider themselves the same people as the slave owners and thus I'm attacking THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies