Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 10:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Close shop or ?
Charge your customers more for your service or product or hire illegals like everyone else has BEEN doing.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:00 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
So you know the OP?
Is the OP a Republican? If so, then that persons post is spot on.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:02 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
I'll work, for You for less than 15, but I also want an equity position, 2 seats on the board of directors, and a promissory note for the difference.
Working for a wage isn't everything.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhucUU View Post
Nobody is promising that you get to run a profitable business being stupid and greedy. Hiring people at 15 an hour gives you access to the least educated people we have to offer. How do you expect to grow hiring people that won’t work hard because they don’t have an incentive. Get an education and double that salary.
Some roles only require the least educated. Clearly, you’ve never had a business. Why do you assume that business owners pay minimum wage across the board?

In my business, my top earner was at $70,000 (this was more than 10 years ago) because he has a real skill and added a lot to my bottom line. My lowest paid was earning around slightly over $10 an hour for simple office assistance - running envelopes through the stamping machine, filing paperwork, that type of thing. Very basic. It was an after-school part time job for her.

If I was forced to increase her wage by 50% to $15 hr, my front-desk receptionist would have complained, as she was earning $35,000 - or $17.50 an hour. So I’d have to pay $5 more per hour for the low-level clerk, and increase the receptionist up to at least $20 hr. My costs would have gone up by around $8 hr, or $1000 a month.

I would not have been willing to take a $12,000 reduction in my earnings in order to pay the clerk $15 an hour for a very simple job. I would have just done it myself. And she would be out of work.

Note: Liberals will say if I weren’t willing to take a $12,000 cut to my earnings, I have should not be running a business. So I could close shop, and five people would be out of work. Now multiply that scenario by 10 million small businesses, and you see the problem.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Close shop or ?
30 states and DC have state minimums greater than the federal minimum wage.

What matters is the prevailing rate for a particular job in a local economy of which there are thousands.

Regardless of laws:

Walmart is the largest employer in the US for now. Their starting wage is $11-15, depending on job function and location.

Target -$15

Amazon -$15

Costco -$16.

Hobby Lobby - $17

If your business competes with ^ employers for employees, you either match compensation or offer something ^ do not or hire those who are rejected by the ^.

Alternatively, you could hire undocumented people and pay them off the books, as do many small businesses.

There are no serious consequences for doing so and your Chamber of Commerce lobbies your state and DC to ensure the status quo. No wall is high enough nor patrols deep enough, so long as US businesses continue to hire undocumented people without consequences. Been going on for 40+ years.

For the 7th straight year the number of visa overstayers exceeded the number who are apprehended at the border.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
I wouldn't be opposed to exceptions like Obamacare for business with less than 10 employees.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:24 AM

552 posts, read 223,257 times
2 or 3 years ago, I walked into a Dollar General and had the cashier ring me up. The store was not busy
and there was no line. It was dark outside, so night time. I asked the cashier how she was doing. She
told me that she was very hungry, because she was pulling a double shift and her manager would not let
her leave to buy food. She was working a double shift because her replacement never showed up, so her
boss asked her to stay and work till close. I walked around the corner and bought her a giant burrito. I
brought it back to her as a gift, she was happily surprised, grateful and she gave me a discount the next
time I saw her working at the store. This was years before the Pandemic ever happened, it was just normal.

From what I see and read here, the idea that you Rethugucans care about the unborn is an absurd lie. If
you actually did, you would give two ****s about women. There are lots of women raising children who work
for menial paying jobs. These are not starter jobs anymore. Same people working for doctor offices, hospitals,
professional spaces are doing so called menial tasks in the middle of the night for the same damn slave wages
that Dollar General pays.

How many posters here would have never even bothered to ask a cashier how they were doing, or would
take the time and courtesy to bring food to someone who waited on you because they were responsible
enough to agree to work that shift instead of tell their manager to deal with it and clock out to go home?

NONE is my educated guess. Because some stupid liberal like me will do it for you. Joe Biden is the
president now, and Trump is never coming back. So deal with it, and boo ****ing hoo.

Raise the minimum wage or don't have employees and do all your work by yourself because YOU chose
to become a business owner. News Flash: I am an independent business owner as well, I am sole proprietor
and I have been since 2009. I do not charge my clients as much as my competition does, yet I never have
to advertise because most of my business is repeat clients or word of mouth referral. I am 57 yrs. old and
I never in my life was able to support myself working for someone else. I always took menial paying jobs.
I raised a son as a single mother and we lived in poverty because I received Section 8 rental assistance
and a pittance for child support.

One day, back when my now adult son was still in diapers, a very well to do elderly woman from my
church approached me and asked me if I would like to earn some extra money. She hired me to come
over to her stately manor home ( she knew exactly where I lived because she came to my apartment
during a church visitation). She had me dig out and prepare a garden bed and plant a pallet full of
flowers. When I was done, she stuck a 5 dollar bill in my hand, this was in 1996. I walked home with
tears in my eyes. It was the ultimate insult by a supposed Christian. I have a feeling if she pulled that
5 dollar bill crap with the pastor of her church who demanded tithes that she would not have heard the
silence that she got from me.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Close shop or ?
You should have thought of that when you failed to abolish the min wage from 2017-19 when you had both chambers and the WH.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:26 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
2 or 3 years ago, I walked into a Dollar General and had the cashier ring me up. The store was not busy
and there was no line. It was dark outside, so night time. I asked the cashier how she was doing. She
told me that she was very hungry, because she was pulling a double shift and her manager would not let
her leave to buy food. She was working a double shift because her replacement never showed up, so her
boss asked her to stay and work till close. I walked around the corner and bought her a giant burrito. I
brought it back to her as a gift, she was happily surprised, grateful and she gave me a discount the next
time I saw her working at the store. This was years before the Pandemic ever happened, it was just normal.

From what I see and read here, the idea that you Rethugucans care about the unborn is an absurd lie. If
you actually did, you would give two ****s about women. There are lots of women raising children who work
for menial paying jobs. These are not starter jobs anymore. Same people working for doctor offices, hospitals,
professional spaces are doing so called menial tasks in the middle of the night for the same damn slave wages
that Dollar General pays.

How many posters here would have never even bothered to ask a cashier how they were doing, or would
take the time and courtesy to bring food to someone who waited on you because they were responsible
enough to agree to work that shift instead of tell their manager to deal with it and clock out to go home?

NONE is my educated guess. Because some stupid liberal like me will do it for you. Joe Biden is the
president now, and Trump is never coming back. So deal with it, and boo ****ing hoo.

Raise the minimum wage or don't have employees and do all your work by yourself because YOU chose
to become a business owner. News Flash: I am an independent business owner as well, I am sole proprietor
and I have been since 2009. I do not charge my clients as much as my competition does, yet I never have
to advertise because most of my business is repeat clients or word of mouth referral. I am 57 yrs. old and
I never in my life was able to support myself working for someone else. I always took menial paying jobs.
I raised a son as a single mother and we lived in poverty because I received Section 8 rental assistance
and a pittance for child support.

One day, back when my now adult son was still in diapers, a very well to do elderly woman from my
church approached me and asked me if I would like to earn some extra money. She hired me to come
over to her stately manor home ( she knew exactly where I lived because she came to my apartment
during a church visitation). She had me dig out and prepare a garden bed and plant a pallet full of
flowers. When I was done, she stuck a 5 dollar bill in my hand, this was in 1995. I walked home with
tears in my eyes. It was the ultimate insult by a supposed Christian. I have a feeling if she pulled that
5 dollar bill crap with the pastor of her church who demanded tithes that she would not have heard the
silence that she got from me.
This isnt meant as an insult but you really seem to have anger issues at the world. I would work on that.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:28 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Those who earn less need to readjust their sense of entitlement and start living within their means. They're not owed a certain standard of living merely because they exist.
Who are you addressing here - the business owner or the employees?

If the same standard applies to both, I am with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies