Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2021, 06:49 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
^^^ Another way to state this is, "Where is it written that we can't exploit labor with slave wages and exploit taxpayers to pick up the tab for the rest of their support and benefits?"

Old 05-01-2021, 06:54 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And thus we rationalize the fact that hundreds of thousands of people doing needed, essential work for society's wellbeing can be held in poverty.

What a great idea, Roboteer. "Go find a higher-paying job." I bet they never thought of that.

And - this is the great bit about this talking point - when the next person says "Uhm, I'd like to be able to buy the occasional burger, not just flip them", well, you can just fling the "Find a better job, then!" in their face. It resets itself every time someone does in fact manage to claw their way out of poverty. The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of jobs at any given time paying starvation wages can be ignored, just as long as you make it about the individual being paid barely-above-destitution rates.

People don't stay in minimum wage jobs their entire life.

You gain experience.

You get a raise.

You get a promotion.

You use that experience to get a better job that pays more.

Rinse and repeat.

I started my first job as a dishwasher at a truck stop in 1979 for minimum wage......$2.90/hr at the time.

I never worked for minimum wage again.

The trick is to not be a dishwasher your whole life.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:55 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Work harder.

When someone cannot pay their bills because the minimum wage is too low for the cost of living, this is the response that is usually given. The same applies to you.

Some people suck at running a business, that could be your case, to which I would say close shop or re-evaluate your business.
Jeebus. No wonder this country is such a mess. Math. You should try it.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:59 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Let go of some employees until you can afford it.

Then those employees can find a job somewhere else where the employee can afford it.

It's a win-win. You get to keep your shop open and they get the opportunity to find a job with somebody who isn't staying open on a shoestring.
Hard to stay open if after your "cutback" you don't have enough employee to do the job! Then again maybe he could hire a robot!

Old 05-01-2021, 07:01 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
Its funny how conservatives always say this when the topic is about paying the little guy. Yet when the federal govt bails out big businesses all we hear is crickets.
Was it the conservatives that bailed out the auto makers a few years back??

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I pay my SKILLED professionals VERY well....

but the simple fact is that I can get a monkey to push a broom..that is an UNSKILLED task...and NOT worthy of $15/hr
And there you have it in a nutshell.

He can run his business, but has no clue how a floor is swept and trivializes the work.

Give a person who has never swept your floor a broom and let them have at it. When they finish sweeping, step on every inch of that floor barefooted.

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

You gain experience.

You get a raise.

You get a promotion.

Rinse and repeat.

I started my first job as a dishwasher at a truck stop in 1979 for minimum wage......$2.90/hr at the time.

And $2.90 in 1979 adjusted for inflation is $11.16. The current minimum wage is $7.25.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
^^^ Another way to state this is, "Where is it written that we can't exploit labor with slave wages and exploit taxpayers to pick up the tab for the rest of their support and benefits?"

Minimum wage is not slave labor.

You might want to look up the definition of slavery.

Pay should be between the employee and the employer.

Period.

Everyone who currently makes even 1¢ above minimum wage does so by negotiating with their employer for what they personally consider an acceptable wage.

Why should entry level positions be any different?

Old 05-01-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
Its funny how conservatives always say this when the topic is about paying the little guy. Yet when the federal govt bails out big businesses all we hear is crickets.

Ummmm....

Are you forgetting who it was that last pushed major bailouts for big business?

Do the initials BHO ring a bell?

Old 05-01-2021, 07:09 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

You gain experience.

You get a raise.

You get a promotion.

Rinse and repeat.

Same here. Started out at $3 an hour. Teenager still living at home. Most McDonalds positions are low skill, you got thumbs you can work there. Business cant afford to pay $15 an hour for entry level positions. These jobs are for young people just getting into the workforce. Besides that $15 an hour. You are NOT going to make this just being hired on. It will come in stages. Might take a year or two. To prove you're not that screw up job hopper. Business lose when it comes to training new employees. Time is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies