Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 03:01 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times

Advertisements

The federal minimum wage hadn't been raised since 2009. I dont see why there isn't a cola attached to it so we don't have to go through all this drama every time it gets raised.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:03 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And how much did you figure in for that individual to attend a college or technical college to move on out of the "entry level job?"
not much at all

most community colleges and technical/trade schools are very cheap

and nearly everyone qualifies for a pell grant... I recently took a course at my local CC and there were people in there doing their 5th Associates..because Pell will pay for it

Old 05-02-2021, 03:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I know President Biden would like free tuition for tech. and community college, but other than small grants, where do you get the impression it is currently free for low-income?
It has been for over 2 decades

Old 05-02-2021, 03:06 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Apparently, you can’t think of examples.

As for me, yes....I have lots of bills, because I have lots of spending power. But as I said, in my low-income “entry” years, my only bills were the rent, the phone, and the parking space.
Include bills the next time you attempt to try to say someone can live on minimum wage. I’ll help you out this one time:
Phone
Internet
Water
Heat
Electric
School loan
Credit card
Car payment
Car insurance

That is on top of rent, groceries & other miscellaneous items that people buy such as toiletries, etc.

Don’t forget taxes taken out.

Do not insult my intelligence by trying to claim someone can live on minimum wage. It’s about time a certain segment of the population take their blinders off & face reality for a significant portion of society.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:08 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Best answer -- obviously you aren't working hard enough -- lol.

If business owners would only work harder, they wouldn't have to depend on being subsidized by low wage workers and taxpayers.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:17 PM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

If business owners would only work harder, they wouldn't have to depend on being subsidized by low wage workers and taxpayers.
Do comprehend the concept of cost of living variances across the country?

$15 where I live has the same purchasing power as $40 in Manhattan.

If companies are forced to pay $15 an hour here, then shouldn't Manhattan companies be required to pay $40 an hour for minimum wage? Or would that crush small businesses?

https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/...ing/index.html

Old 05-02-2021, 03:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Like what? I put in the budget for utilities. When I was young and earning bottom dollar, my only bills were rent, the phone, and the parking space in the garage.

What other bills are you talking about? The monthly bill for the Smartphone? The bill from MACY’s for cosmetics? The bill from Kay Jewelers for the new bracelet? Sorry, under MW, you can’t buy any of that. That doesn’t mean one can’t squeak by paying for just the basics.
Health insurance premiums, copays, and medications.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:23 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
People who are trying to survive on minimum wage today can have their financial house of cards come crashing down with something like needing to replace a single tire on their car or god forbid a trip to the dentist.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Like what? I put in the budget for utilities. When I was young and earning bottom dollar, my only bills were rent, the phone, and the parking space in the garage.

What other bills are you talking about? The monthly bill for the Smartphone? The bill from MACY’s for cosmetics? The bill from Kay Jewelers for the new bracelet? Sorry, under MW, you can’t buy any of that. That doesn’t mean one can’t squeak by paying for just the basics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Health insurance premiums, copays, and medications.
You will note from my original budget that I had co-pays in there. As far as the others, low-income get their insurance premiums and meds covered almost in full.

The point was the when I was starting out with a low salary, my only bills were rent, utilities, and the parking spot. Low-income people just have to double or triple up with their housing until they move past minimum wage - and 98% of workers have done just that.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:33 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People who are trying to survive on minimum wage today can have their financial house of cards come crashing down with something like needing to replace a single tire on their car or god forbid a trip to the dentist.
They need to live in such a way that they can pay for the dentist, and they probably shouldn’t have a car if they are on minimum wage. And knowing how precarious their situation is, they should take a few courses to learn a trade of some sort.

And remember, we are talking about only 2% of workers. To hear you liberals talk, you’d think that small business owners are paying most of the staff at minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies