Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is the old: "If I don't drive my car on public roads I don't have to register" argument.

This is irrelevant. My argument is: We register car ownership.

Your argument is: well, not all cars.

So what? As long as we register some cars. Then we register cars! Which is something the OP is trying to argue doesn't happen at all.

All just for revenue.... Nothing else.
Government cannot tax my right to travel, or license private property as a permit. Both violations of the 9th Amendment.

Marbury v. Madison
Miranda v. Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post

SO IT IS A WAY AROUND THE LAWS.
The supreme law of the land is the US Constitution.
The 2nd Amendment does not say, the privilege of the citizens.
Government is forbidden to have a say in any individuals right to keep a firearm where ever they wish, especially on their person(that's called liberty protected in the 9th Amendment) the right to bear arms. Bearing arms does not mean keeping it in a safe in your bedroom closet, or concealed on your person. It actually means filling your hand, aim & shoot.
The other part it does not say is, "shall be altered when emotions run high, or government feels threatened"
Shall not be infringed..... Do not tread on me. I will kill you.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All just for revenue.... Nothing else.
Government cannot tax my right to travel, or license private property as a permit. Both violations of the 9th Amendment.

Marbury v. Madison
Miranda v. Arizona.

Registration is NOT tax. It's just recording a name with the property and making it official. Like how your name is registered with your car and your house.

If someone can figure out a way to overturn property tax as unconstitutional. I'm all for it.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:21 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
You have to file a title transfer with the DMV every time you buy or sell a car. Even if you don't plan to drive it, you still have to let government knows who owns it. In fact, many states would penalize you for failing to register with the DMV within 30 days. Yeah, it's a big deal because it's what we're already doing.
Nope you don't. There are two possible reasons you'd need to (and none of this is federal).

1) the former owner attempts to reclaim the vehicle after being paid for it.

2) you want to drive it on the road.

In both instances YOU don't need to be the registrant, it could be your spouse, parents, friends, children, or legal trust, or business.

Quote:
I really would like to see how you can buy a house and have nobody on the title as an owner. This would solves a lot of mobsters' money laundering problem, not to mention put a lot of lawyers who set up trusts out of business.
You just covered how you can own a house and not be on the title. Duh!

If gun registration operates as vehicle and home ownership does, how you going to trace the owner?

Old 05-03-2021, 12:23 PM

795 posts, read 407,921 times
Quote:
Registration is NOT tax. It's just recording a name with the property and making it official. Like how your name is registered with your car and your house.

If someone can figure out a way to overturn property tax as unconstitutional. I'm all for it.

When it comes to cars it is. That is why there is a spot on the title transfer form to put in the amount you sold it for. That way the government knows how much money to charge the new owner in sales tax when they register it in their name.

Also why most people write in they sold it for $100 to save the new buyer the tax hit.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The argument is valid. You don't register to own, you register to use it on the highway.

No we don't, as explained above.

Not ANY cars, it's a registration to use them on public roads, not own them.

We don't register car ownership. That's why it's called a registration, not title.
Driving is a privilege as driving is done in employment for profit.
Traveling is for leisure, and a right protected by the 9th amendment.
My car is not a motor vehicle it is my Private Property, protected by the 9th amendment. My means of travel is the common conveyance of the day, as the horse & buggy was at the turn of the last century.
Government cannot turn an endowed right into a privilege.

Keeping and bearing arms is an endowed right, that shall not be infringed upon by any man, not just government. People have rights with or without government.

"All citizens must be free to travel throughout the United States uninhibited by statutes, rules, and regulations..." SHAPIRO v. THOMPSON 394 US 618

"The RIGHT of the citizen TO TRAVEL UPON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAYS and to transport his property thereon, either by horse-drawn carriage OR BY AUTOMOBILE, IS NOT A MERE PRIVILEGE which the city may prohibit or permit at will, BUT IS A COMMON RIGHT." THOMPSON v. SMITH, 155 Va 367

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." CHICAGO MOTOR COACH v. CHICAGO, 169 NE 221

â€If the state does convert your right into a privilege and issue a license and charge a fee for it, you can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity.†SHUTTLESWORTH v. BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, 373 US 262

My car is NOT a "Motor Vehicle"
USC Title 18, § 31 9(6) - Definition of "Motor Vehicle":
"The term "motor vehicle" means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used for commercial purposes on the highways in the transportation of passengers and property, or property or cargo."

USC Title 18, § 31(10) - Definition of "Commercial Purposes":
"The term "used for commercial purposes" means the carriage of the persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking for profit."

So your car, SUV, or motorcycle is only a "commercial vehicle" if you are getting paid to "drive" it. If you are only using it to travel around to go to work, school, groceries, or any other private reason then it IS NOT A "MOTOR VEHICLE".

Here is the dilemma, when the government started requiring the commercial vehicles to be registered and licensed it made that a regulable activity for that purpose. They made everyone else believe it was the same for the general public. The police, you and all your friends are taught that you are always 'operating' a 'motor vehicle' which are both commercial regulable activites.

May the state change the definition of a word or term (MOTOR VEHICLE) from the original meaning (USC Title 18, § 31 (6) to another definition to fit their own needs? NO:

Old 05-03-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The argument is valid. You don't register to own, you register to use it on the highway.

No we don't, as explained above.

Not ANY cars, it's a registration to use them on public roads, not own them.

We don't register car ownership. That's why it's called a registration, not title.

First of all, I get the feeling many here don't really understand the word register:

Quote:
Google dictionary:

Register: enter or record on an official list or directory.
Your title is recorded with the DMV. Even if you don't have to pay a registration fee, your title is recorded - this is what we call registration. When they look up a license plate, they know exactly who owns that car, every car; even if it's not being driven on public roads.

Here in CA, if you just park the car in your backyard, you still need to obtain a non-operational permit. Again, they know you own that car and they know you are not planning to operate it.... because the car is registered.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:

When you "register" your private property with the state, is there a fee associated with that registration or licensing? If you say yes, that is a tax.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Nope you don't. There are two possible reasons you'd need to (and none of this is federal).

1) the former owner attempts to reclaim the vehicle after being paid for it.

2) you want to drive it on the road.

In both instances YOU don't need to be the registrant, it could be your spouse, parents, friends, children, or legal trust, or business.

Are you trying to argue you don't have to register at all.... or you can put another person on the title to hide your identity?

I am not in any way, shape, or form; arguing you can't put someone else's name on the title. So your post basically doesn't refute what I said at all.

Quote:

You just covered how you can own a house and not be on the title. Duh!

If gun registration operates as vehicle and home ownership does, how you going to trace the owner?
What??!!

Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You have to file a title transfer with the DMV every time you buy or sell a car. Even if you don't plan to drive it, you still have to let government knows who owns it. In fact, many states would penalize you for failing to register with the DMV within 30 days. Yeah, it's a big deal because it's what we're already doing.

I really would like to see how you can buy a house and have nobody on the title as an owner. This would solves a lot of mobsters' money laundering problem, not to mention put a lot of lawyers who set up trusts out of business.

Legally, all I need is a bill of sale for any private property, to prove it is mine. Why would a consent to a title issued by the state, so they now have some ownership, with that contract.
I patented all my property, so the state can never take title of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies