Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times

Advertisements

What do you think of social media censoring any negative comments about the covid vaccines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 08:58 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,038 times
Fascistbook gave me a 30 day timeout for EXACTLY that reason. Free speech is only free if it is the speech they want to hear.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:04 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Fascistbook gave me a 30 day timeout for EXACTLY that reason. Free speech is only free if it is the speech they want to hear.
SMH,
Okay once again. Free speech NEVER EVER said you can say what you want, where you want to and when you want to.
I really wish they'd teach a civics class. FB is not a government entity.
It has stockholders, a creator and owner who very much can decide who gets to play in their sandbox as long as they don't discriminate against a federally protected class. While it is now a publicly traded company it is not a government entity

You are free to start your own social media platform and then you can say whatever you want

Old 05-01-2021, 09:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Free speech doesn't apply to private companies. Apparently the people who ignored jr high science about microorganisms and vaccinations also ignored high school political science. So censor away, Facebook.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:08 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Free speech doesn't apply to private companies. Apparently the people who ignored jr high science about microorganisms and vaccinations also ignored high school political science. So censor away, Facebook.
Then why do social media’s are protected under Section 230?

Do private companies get the same protection?

Old 05-01-2021, 09:10 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
I guess social media’s are publishers now, eh?

https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230

Quote:
Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" (47 U.S.C. § 230).

Old 05-01-2021, 09:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
What platform specifically is censoring like that?

Old 05-01-2021, 09:18 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Actually the anti-vaxxers would be better served to just keep quiet since they want to piggyback on herd immunity the people getting the vaccine are giving them. All the benefits, none of the risk. Zero benefit to an anti vaxxer convincing others to not get the vaccine. Unless just wanting to sow discord through the firehose of lies strategy Putin and Trump use.

Second day after my second Moderna shot. I have to say I feel like I have been rode hard and put up wet. Felt exhausted all day. But didnt even consider not getting the shot. I got an "A" in biology class. Sounds like many of the anti vaxxers were hiding out, "smokin in the boys room" when they were in school.

And yea you have freedom of speech to stand on soapbox on courthouse lawn and shout until you are blue in the face and hope somebody pays attention. But Facebook and other such are PRIVATE COMPANIES there for profit and they can set their own rules , they dont have to allow free speech. Read the TOS you agreed to when signing up, it didnt guarantee you anything, it was all to protect rights and profit of Facebook, NOT YOU.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times
@ lekril

Facebook, Websleuths

Websleuths won't post any anti-vaccine or anti-mask posts. The moderator says they are doing their part to get everyone vaccinated since that's what the government, scientists, medical community, etc. wants.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
@ lekril

Facebook, Websleuths

Websleuths won't post any anti-vaccine or anti-mask posts. The moderator says they are doing their part to get everyone vaccinated since that's what the government, scientists, medical community, etc. wants.
Facebook itself is, or the moderator of a facebook group is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies