Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 02:49 PM

15,887 posts, read 6,683,369 times

Advertisements

Excerpt: Berated student says woke divisiveness must be exposed

Response: Opinion

What is even harder to believe is that the indoctrination has started in pre-school.
Children in some schools are instructed not to call their parents Mother of Father
but rather by their first names....................bunch of sick animals..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 02:58 PM

13,259 posts, read 8,355,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

This is another mislabeled post to stir up the right wing pearl clutchers. The student wasn't berated. The teacher gave her truthful opinion. She answered the student's question. The student wanted to argue the case further so the teacher ended the class. Given all the recent news of police escalating situations, being trigger happy, being incompetent, the teacher's opinion was perfectly rational.
Correct. On point!

Usually college allows varying views to be discussed. Both sides spoke. It ended with a student twisting it to fit his bias opinion.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:14 PM

30,574 posts, read 21,751,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Correct. On point!

Usually college allows varying views to be discussed. Both sides spoke. It ended with a student twisting it to fit his bias opinion.
Or just another wacked out Leftist Proffesor trying to Indoctrinate a student

Old 05-02-2021, 03:19 PM

52,257 posts, read 34,016,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Students challenging and "inappropriately questioning" woke professors is described as "white violence".

https://www.insidehighered.com/advic...-women-faculty
what an absolutely woke trainwreck of an article. I read it all.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:19 PM

22,313 posts, read 11,819,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Correct. On point!

You apparently missed the part where he asked the instructor if she would call the police if an intruder was trying to break into her house. Instead of answering him, she ended the class. You see, it was he who called her out over her hatred of all LEOs.

Are you also saying that instructors never "twist it to fit their bias[sic] opinion"? IOW, you think that the instructor is always correct?

Old 05-02-2021, 03:25 PM

52,257 posts, read 34,016,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
All the recent news of police are

they get there.

the person Resists, is confrontational, tries to flee, or worse is try to assault the cop or use their vehicle to.

I'd say that is what triggers the escalation from the get go.
and bobspaz responds with a 22 year old example
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Them getting there doesn't mean they act appropriately when they do. I once called a plumber to fix a tub faucet that wouldn't turn off. He wanted to break through a tile and concrete wall all the way through the siding on the outside of the house. I asked him to leave. After a couple of days of trial and error I found the problem was a broken o-ring on the shower diverter. No damage to the house, faucet fixed. I could ask the plumber to leave, but once you call them you can't ask the police to leave if they wreak havoc on your life. They are not there to serve and protect. I don't trust them either. That's why I wouldn't call them either. Once upon a time the older cops were human beings, looking to help resolve problems. Now they are mostly programmed robots there to make revenue with tickets and arrests, and shoot to kill whenever they feel the slightest threat to their safety. This has been going on for decades. Back in 1999, Amadou Diallo was taking out his wallet when 4 cops pumped 50 bullets into him, mistaking him for someone else and his wallet for a gun. The trigger happy cops kept their jobs, one even being promoted to sergeant before he retired.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:41 PM

1,064 posts, read 465,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
"work experience", as in gaining work in the field to apply for positions elsewhere.

I was an adjunct at a university, but many others came from a community college, all but myself and one other that I knew of were seeking out tenure positions, and being an adjunct assists padding their resume when competing for these positions.

Are you all really not understanding gaining work experience and job hopping to move up the ladder? I mean this is a common thing to do. I was a VP at my former job, but you think I was hired right out of college into it? No, I started off years ago as a junior analyst at another company.
I guess I'll explain what's obviously wrong with this. Being an adjunct professor is not work experience for a tenure track professor (at a university). You don't do research as an adjunct professor.

That's like saying being a physician's assistant is work experience for being a doctor. That's not how it works.

Your analogy about gaining work experience to move up the ladder doesn't work when it's two completely different skillsets.

I question the idea of an institution hiring an adjunct professor into a tenured track unless they have a great deal of experience in research at a quality university.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:42 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,968,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...out&li=BBnbfcL

From the article:

When the student asked his professor whether she would call police in an emergency, she claimed she wouldn't call law enforcement because she doesn't trust them.

'My life's more in danger in their presence… I wouldn't call anybody,' she said.

When Ellis questioned what she would do if an intruder came into her home, the professor said the class was over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for the student for speaking up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The college issued this statement:

Cypress College takes great pride in fostering a learning environment for students where ideas and opinions are exchanged as a vital piece of the educational journey.

Our community fully embraces this culture; students often defend one another's rights to express themselves freely, even when opinions differ.

Any efforts to suppress free and respectful expression on our campus will not be tolerated.

The adjunct professor will be taking a leave of absence for the duration of her assignment at Cypress College. This was her first course at Cypress and she had previously indicated her intention to not return in the fall.
i dont understand where the gotcha is? You can very well feel like if you call the cops they are likely to make a bad situation worse, they are likely to have implicit biases, that can lead to an erosion of trust. That doesnt mean that there isnt an scenario where she would have no choice but to call the cops. The issue is that there shouldnt be this lack of trust. The professor pays for the police, the police isnt doing her a favor. Her position is not inconsistent, the professor would have to assume that is a bad faith argument just based on its quality. I would not entertain it as well.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:42 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,922,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
and bobspaz responds with a 22 year old example
Uglybooger, look at today. Another California man who just died after being held on his stomach by police for 5 minutes. George Floyd and numerous examples in the past year. The 22 year old example is to support my statement it has been happening for decades without repercussions for the police involved. I guess you didn't bother to read that part.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:49 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,430,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It’s so funny that people think that these incidents are isolated. My entire graduate program was full of this, including an adjunct who turned a course that wasn’t focused on politics into something so nasty and political (and of course her politics were to the left of the political spectrum). Overall I think my graduate program was worth the cost due to the foundation it gave me to advance in my career, but I had to sit through plenty of classes like this, where it’s not even worth it to speak up. In fact, sometimes it was fun to play along.

I’ve got a friend in a social work graduate program right now and it’s even worse than this. One of her (older) professors committed the cardinal sin of accidentally using the wrong pronoun (it was a student who preferred they/their) and some folks (or excuse me, they mandated that she used the term “folx”) wanted this professor to be fired. Her program also routinely holds group discussions in which the students are separated by race. It’s an absolute garbage program and she’s embarrassed by the fact that she’s paying to sit through this nonsense, but needs the degree to move forward in her career.

But hey, isolated incidents all the time, right?
100% it is NOT isolated. Saw the same thing in my graduate program. In fact, any conservative or even moderate staff on campus was afraid to speak up. This was a school located in a relatively conservative area as well. I can’t imagine what something like a Berkeley must be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies