Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:18 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My next door neighbor is a Lexus dealer. He tells me they share A LOT of same platforms as Toyota with some changes. Yes, significant changes, but they are mostly Toyota platforms. Untrue?
It's true that Lexus and Toyota share the same platform on some models. Just like how VW, Porsche, and Audi all share the same platform on some vehicles. But they aren't just rebadged versions of each-other as some are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 11:39 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Lexus are re-badged Toyotas with some additional luxury add-ons and options. Yes, they have some nice designs with the reliability of a Toyota. Advertising today is largely not about the product, but all about image, and lifestyle with a very healthy dose of Woke, PC, Far Left Virtue Signaling.
Yep, mechanically identical, a lot of car companies come up with a platform that they base several different models on.

What I did find funny about this commercial is that for almost 35 years Lexus has been pitching the over privileged Karens, today they are down with the struggle.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:41 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yep, mechanically identical, a lot of car companies come up with a platform that they base several different models on.

What I did find funny about this commercial is that for almost 35 years Lexus has been pitching the over privileged Karens, today they are down with the struggle.
I'm saving up to be a Karen.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:05 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
My next door neighbor is a Lexus dealer. He tells me they share A LOT of same platforms as Toyota with some changes. Yes, significant changes, but they are mostly Toyota platforms. Untrue?

See, I could say that in a Non Condescending manner, unlike you.
Not untrue.

However, as an example, the Cadillac ATS, the Cadillac CTS and the Camaro all share GM's Alpha platform.

No one who has driven those 3 vehicles would call them the "same".

Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Lincolns are great value used because they don't hold their value well at all.
I had a Lincoln Continental for 20 years and nothing went on it. Nothing. Just tires and oil changes. Most comfortable car with leather seats. Looked great after 20 years of use.

This one I will keep for a long time as long as it has no problems. The last one was worth every dollar.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yeah, I don't even pay attention to truck commercials but "Built Ford Tough" is memorable because I somehow have it in my head.

Just using "Lets get uncomfortable" over and over in that ad while not their catch phrase doesn't work. Besides thinking the seats are uncomfortable...
Perhaps Ford tried to appeal to a slightly more literally-minded audience.

"Go outside your comfort zone, achieve something, then reap the rewards" was abit more of my take-away. But I'm so not in the target audience, cars are appliances for driving. Can't tell one from the other.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Or it's some weird obsession/fixation thing going on. Does that neighbor's spouse look suspiciously the same as yours? Do they also wear similar clothing? Maybe you're not taking this seriously enough?
No, I talked with him.. said he saw my car and liked it . Told me where he bought it . He always parks it with the front facing out in the driveway. He must like the grill. I have mine in the garage most of the time.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

"Go outside your comfort zone, achieve something, then reap the rewards" was abit more of my take-away. But I'm so not in the target audience, cars are appliances for driving. Can't tell one from the other.
I never bought a foreign car. I buy Ford, chevy, pontiac, , never bought a toyota or honda.. I know many people who do.

Since @ 1995 the American cars got a better reputation for longer life to the engine. I bought two Expeditions, just replaced one a couple years back . Twin turbo and can be a problem as it climbs to 80 and feels like 60 but has a smaller interior but plenty of cup holders.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Lexus wants to sell cars to young people, Why? Because their brand is known for cars that are not appealing to younger drivers.

I understand why many here don't get or like the ad (I personally think it's a bit much), but you also have to admit the ad was not geared to you or me. Lexus already has over 40 crowds in its showrooms.
The ad isn't geared toward common sense. A semi-luxury brand telling us about "getting past our differences?" How about the "different" people who can't afford a Lexus, which is the vast majority of people? It's not a very "inclusive" brand. They remind me of the people in my old gentrified, expensive (by Pittsburgh standards) neighborhood who had signs in their windows advertising that "Refugees are Welcome Here," and "Everyone is Welcome Here." Yeah, right.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Maybe so. Trucks are practical and I admit whenever I need something moved or hauled I call a friend who has one. (not a freeloader - I always offer to pay)

Thanks for sharing a different POV and how the ad appeared to you. Cars aren't just appliances for me. That may be the big difference in POV. I live in a rural mountainous area with curvy 2 lane roads adjacent to the most beautiful scenery imaginable. I used to have a Mazda Miata convertible that was ideal for those roads.

Driving is filled with excitement and even some romanticism for me. I love sporty cars. No wonder Acura's "Beat That" ad appealed to me. I am sure the same applies to a much younger audience too.

For some, taking a quiet, scenic drive is a form of escapism from the world, politics and all. I think Acura is on to something with the "Less Talk. More Drive." ad campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies