Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 03:25 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Herd mentality is already firmly ingrained in America, and that maybe what prevents herd immunity.
We never achieved herd immunity from the flu.
And the common cold has no vaccine.

What made anyone think we could achieve herd immunity from covid vaccine when the virus mutates and you can get it a second time even after being vaccinated ?

I think they knew all along and this "herd immunity" was nothing more than cheerleader yells to get people vaccinated.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But one makes the other impossible. You would need to get 90% of the population vaccinated before a mutation... and that just isn't possible.

The New York times is just trying to throw in more vaccine propaganda.
Yes, this. I was listening to a program where that was the topic. That in order for this vaccine to get us to herd immunity, it would have had to have been administered before the mutations. The mutations started showing up before vaccine distribution and application to enough people could happen. It also said we would have needed to stop the spread earlier.

The interesting theory put forth was that, because of the mutations and the narrow focus of the current
vaccine, we may have made it harder to reach immunity. They argue that we’ve given the virus an evolutionary advantage by “teaching” it that if it mutates away from the version that the vaccine kills, that we’ve made the virus more resistant. To be fair, the program reiterated a few times that this was only a theory. We’ll have to wait and see, unless someone comes up with some kind of proof that’s whats happening.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneWorks View Post
Thanks to anti-masking, and anti-social distancing types, and now anti-vax pushers, a new mutation is even more likely.
Go back and re-learn biology and viruses.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We never achieved herd immunity from the flu.
And the common cold has no vaccine.

What made anyone think we could achieve herd immunity from covid vaccine when the virus mutates and you can get it a second time even after being vaccinated ?

I think they knew all along and this "herd immunity" was nothing more than cheerleader yells to get people vaccinated.
Exactly. It’s an unreasonable expectation at best to think we can get herd immunity for covid or eradicate it. I think it will be with us forever, just colds and flu.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:55 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
And people are getting covid after having gotten vaccinated. Now what ?

The vaccine does not give you immunity to covid. It prevents severe covid.
And even the vast majority of unvaccinated people never get severe Covid even if they catch it.

So we should be good

Old 05-03-2021, 04:00 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
News story: we won’t reach heard immunity because many people refuse to get the vaccine.

Anti-vaxxer: see, vaccines don’t work!

Me: <facepalm>

Old 05-03-2021, 04:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
It was always going to happen. Even if we had 100% compliance of every edict, the rest of the world would not achieve 100% compliance. And unless countries were planning on hermetically sealing off their borders, the mutations were always going to find a way. A very large portion of the world lives in squalor where disease spreads like fire. This virus will find a way. It's time to get realistic, and stop scolding and scapegoating those who don't obey.

Right...it's time to open back up and deal with this virus...this was always supposed to be about flattening the curve... To make sure there are enough hospital beds.... Looking at the graph in the US the curve is sufficiently flattened. It's not about masking up forever to prevent every single case. We need to let the unvaccinated catch it now to achieve herd immunity.

As for this article I don't know why they are so surprised...kids aren't approved for the vaccine yet (which is silly in my opinion)

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...es-why-is-that

Anywho my opinion is not popular here by either side being anti mask, anti lockdown, and pro vaccine. Chuckle. It's time to return to pre covid normalcy while keeping vaccines available for those who change their minds. Who knows maybe I'll be proven wrong and all of us mRNA vaccinated will die.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
News story: we won’t reach heard immunity because many people refuse to get the vaccine.

Anti-vaxxer: see, vaccines don’t work!

Me: <facepalm>
The second the first vaccinated person caught covid is when the "herd immunity" bubble burst.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yes, this. I was listening to a program where that was the topic. That in order for this vaccine to get us to herd immunity, it would have had to have been administered before the mutations. The mutations started showing up before vaccine distribution and application to enough people could happen. It also said we would have needed to stop the spread earlier.

The interesting theory put forth was that, because of the mutations and the narrow focus of the current
vaccine, we may have made it harder to reach immunity. They argue that we’ve given the virus an evolutionary advantage by “teaching” it that if it mutates away from the version that the vaccine kills, that we’ve made the virus more resistant. To be fair, the program reiterated a few times that this was only a theory. We’ll have to wait and see, unless someone comes up with some kind of proof that’s whats happening.
I've heard that theory too. It's an interesting one.

We would have needed to stop the spread as far back as Sept 2019 (maybe earlier). There was a study where they found Covid in Italy from that time. And it was spread around the entire country.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33176598/

By the time we started mitigating Covid in March of 2020, it was seeded all over. We've already seen how fast this thing spreads.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
The second the first vaccinated person caught covid is when the "herd immunity" bubble burst.
Yeh you have to ask why Dr. Faucci would ever say this now, now when only 1/2 of the public have a vax in them... because, clearly he knows the *** is up.

Soon 70% of the public will have been vaccinated completely and our numbers and deaths will not be going down substantially.

And by then, there will be a lot more "breakthrough" cases...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies