Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many genders are there?
1 2 0.85%
2 193 82.13%
3 9 3.83%
4 1 0.43%
More than 4 but some finite number 9 3.83%
Infinite 21 8.94%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 AM

17,110 posts, read 11,961,353 times

Advertisements

If someone asks you to refer to them by a certain name and you choose not to, you're just being intentionally rude. Whether that is referring to someone by a nickname, middle name, legally changed name, married name, or what have you. You can still believe Jack is a male but use the requested name Jill and even the requested pronoun she, especially after a legal name change. That requires no change in your opinion and is not at all like forcing you to eat potatoes. Merely calling someone by a name that they introduce themselves to you as...just like every other interaction with anyone ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 12:09 PM

424 posts, read 174,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Nah, it's bigger than that as we've said ad nauseum in this thread.

As a culture we begin to decline morally and idealistically if we can't even point out basic science because we are afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

No one here cares what anyone chooses to wear or chooses to call themselves. We don't care what body part you want to chop off or staple on. Where we care is when crazy people start telling us that WE need to start calling Jack "Jill" and WE need to believe that HE is now a SHE.

YOU can do whatever you want, but don't push it onto ME.

Also, there is a big discussion about adult men going into the restroom with MY daughter (very bad) and ALSO with adult men playing sports with girls, and all the ramifications that it has such as taking away records, scholarships, putting them in danger physically, etc.

So, obviously, if you're paying attention, you'd know that this isn't just a case of the right being a bunch of busy bodies caring about what's in someone's pants. It's A LOT bigger than that.
The name thing is just silly. You go by Paracord on City-Data, but I'm going to take a big leap here and assume that your name is not Paracord. So if we were to meet in person and you said, "hi, I'm Bob," and I said, "Please do not tell me to call you Bob. Your name is Paracord and that is what I will call you," then you would rightfully think I'm a loon.

We call other people what they say their name is or what they asked to be called all the time. If you called me, "Mrs. Onion," and I said, "oh, please, call me Caramelized," then it would be weird for you to continue calling me Mrs. Onion. Or if you called me Caramelized and I said, "I go by Cara," then it would be rude for you to continue to call me by my full name. Or if we were friends IRL and you and your child both called me Caramelized but then I was your child's teacher in a public school, I'd expect for them to call me Mrs. Onion in class. Maybe before I got married, my name was Caramelized Carrot. I would expect for my students, who had already been calling me Miss Carrots for a few months, to switch over to calling me Mrs. Onion after the wedding. This happens all. the. time. It seems that the only time people complain is when someone changes their name to what the complainer deems is a masculine or feminine name not matching their genitals.

Nobody observes the genitalia of anyone going into public restrooms, so you really never know who is in there anyway. If you are fearful of people in public, then don't use public restrooms. Or use the buddy system. I never sent my young children into restrooms alone, not because I was afraid there could be a transgender man or woman in the bathroom, but because I was leery of strangers in general. I'd say they were at least 10 or so before we let them go alone into the public bathroom (I have a boy and a girl). And for a while, the rule was that if there was someone else in there, they should wait outside the door before going in. Many transgender people are not obviously transgender. I bet you and maybe even your daughter have used a public restroom with someone who had different genitals than you and you never even knew it. In general, we do not display our private parts in public bathrooms. Transgender men would not use a urinal, I assume; they'd wait for a stall. But that is not enough to determine that they're transgender... I know that my son hates urinals and will usually head for a stall. Women always use stalls, so who knows what they have in their pants?

I don't know about sports. I see it both ways and I'm glad that it's nothing I have to worry about personally.

For the most part, it's about people being bent out of shape about what other people are doing with their own genitals. It happens frequently. Righties get very concerned about women having sex outside of marriage, women having medical procedures done after consultation with their own doctors, gay people doing what they want with their privates, people using their privates to urinate in public bathrooms. It seems like a mental health issue to me, to be honest.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,852,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I want to see what your seeing. Surely you have your own evidence you can show me. As someone who doesn't want religion in schools I m sympathtic to the idea we should all have a say on what goes into the education of our children.
I just gave you a way to find evidence. Do you really need me to paste in the results of an internet search for you?!?!?

Go do a google search. There are tons of states with LGBT curriculum from kindergarten through HS. Lots of school board meetings, lawsuits, parents upset because they were not told upfront the curriculum was being used.

This has been ongoing for the last few years.

GO...

LOOK for yourself. Find the evidence. Or use an other search engine. You might find more articles off google.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM

18,512 posts, read 7,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Sad commentary that we need to even do this, but that's where we are in 2021.
Three:

Masculine
Feminine
Neuter

Old 05-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If someone asks you to refer to them by a certain name and you choose not to, you're just being intentionally rude. Whether that is referring to someone by a nickname, middle name, legally changed name, married name, or what have you. You can still believe Jack is a male but use the requested name Jill and even the requested pronoun she, especially after a legal name change. That requires no change in your opinion and is not at all like forcing you to eat potatoes. Merely calling someone by a name that they introduce themselves to you as...just like every other interaction with anyone ever.
Absolutely agree if jack wants to be called Jill. No issues at all. If that's what you want to be called, I will 100% respect that.

But don't expect me to use "her" or say Jill is a woman. HE is not a woman.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,316,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
The name thing is just silly. You go by Paracord on City-Data, but I'm going to take a big leap here and assume that your name is not Paracord. So if we were to meet in person and you said, "hi, I'm Bob," and I said, "Please do not tell me to call you Bob. Your name is Paracord and that is what I will call you," then you would rightfully think I'm a loon.

We call other people what they say their name is or what they asked to be called all the time. If you called me, "Mrs. Onion," and I said, "oh, please, call me Caramelized," then it would be weird for you to continue calling me Mrs. Onion. Or if you called me Caramelized and I said, "I go by Cara," then it would be rude for you to continue to call me by my full name. Or if we were friends IRL and you and your child both called me Caramelized but then I was your child's teacher in a public school, I'd expect for them to call me Mrs. Onion in class. Maybe before I got married, my name was Caramelized Carrot. I would expect for my students, who had already been calling me Miss Carrots for a few months, to switch over to calling me Mrs. Onion after the wedding. This happens all. the. time. It seems that the only time people complain is when someone changes their name to what the complainer deems is a masculine or feminine name not matching their genitals

Nobody observes the genitalia of anyone going into public restrooms, so you really never know who is in there anyway. If you are fearful of people in public, then don't use public restrooms. Or use the buddy system. I never sent my young children into restrooms alone, not because I was afraid there could be a transgender man or woman in the bathroom, but because I was leery of strangers in general. I'd say they were at least 10 or so before we let them go alone into the public bathroom (I have a boy and a girl). And for a while, the rule was that if there was someone else in there, they should wait outside the door before going in. Many transgender people are not obviously transgender. I bet you and maybe even your daughter have used a public restroom with someone who had different genitals than you and you never even knew it. In general, we do not display our private parts in public bathrooms. Transgender men would not use a urinal, I assume; they'd wait for a stall. But that is not enough to determine that they're transgender... I know that my son hates urinals and will usually head for a stall. Women always use stalls, so who knows what they have in their pants?

I don't know about sports. I see it both ways and I'm glad that it's nothing I have to worry about personally.

For the most part, it's about people being bent out of shape about what other people are doing with their own genitals. It happens frequently. Righties get very concerned about women having sex outside of marriage, women having medical procedures done after consultation with their own doctors, gay people doing what they want with their privates, people using their privates to urinate in public bathrooms. It seems like a mental health issue to me, to be honest.
You can re-name yourself legally whatever you like.

There are sex-specific conventions for certain names, but that's not so much of a big deal.

The problem is when a subset of the population decides to distort the meaning of common nouns/pronouns (man, woman, he, they, them). These are consensus standards with historic underpinnings relied on for communication by the culture at large.

Large cultures respond slowly to language shifts. Even in an Orwellian dystopia, there would at least be an organized, gradualistic roadmap for the restructuring of language. (The author would project such shifts would still take several generations).

There is nothing resembling such a coherent system among today's cultural Marxists.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,214,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I just gave you a way to find evidence. Do you really need me to paste in the results of an internet search for you?!?!?

Go do a google search. There are tons of states with LGBT curriculum from kindergarten through HS. Lots of school board meetings, lawsuits, parents upset because they were not told upfront the curriculum was being used.

This has been ongoing for the last few years.

GO...

LOOK for yourself. Find the evidence. Or use an other search engine. You might find more articles off google.
So....none?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:26 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,137,061 times
I voted Infinite as in Infinitely dumb to even wax poetic on this question. At the end of the day, who cares?

More important topics to ponder and discuss than this tripe.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 2,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I voted Infinite as in Infinitely dumb to even wax poetic on this question. At the end of the day, who cares?

More important topics to ponder and discuss than this tripe.
Yeah basic science is "infinitely dumb."

What we teach our kids, what we base a country on, etc.

Gotcha.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So....none?
So ... you don't plan on looking? Not even going to try?

You could've looked yourself in the time it took you to post to me.

Ignorance. Stunning.

if you think there aren't any? You'd be wrong. Very wrong. Which is why I said, just go do a search. This issue has been around for a few years now. It's not new.

You'll be overwhelmed.

Or you can stay ignorant. Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies