Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,755,255 times

Advertisements

Where I am we don't have a political divide on taking the covid vaccine. I hear reasons for and against from a variety of people.

The only commonality within these groups is whether the person watches tv. Those who watch television are fearful and anxious. Are enough people getting the vaccine? How dire are the side effects? The latter even from those who have taken the jab. Now they're fretting about long-term effects of the shot.

Those who don't watch tv do not have anxiety about these things, even though they are aware that there are risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 05:44 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,048,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Where I am we don't have a political divide on taking the covid vaccine. I hear reasons for and against from a variety of people.

The only commonality within these groups is whether the person watches tv. Those who watch television are fearful and anxious. Are enough people getting the vaccine? How dire are the side effects? The latter even from those who have taken the jab. Now they're fretting about long-term effects of the shot.

Those who don't watch tv do not have anxiety about these things, even though they are aware that there are risks.
That’s quite the assumption. I watch tv. I don’t have anxiety about these things. Are you assuming I didn’t get vaccinated?

Folks who are fretting about long term affects of the shot have every right to do so, especially since it was so rushed and already has serious side affects.

Why was the Johnson & Johnson vaccine paused?

Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 AM

23,508 posts, read 23,847,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

Excellent observation.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:22 AM

7,626 posts, read 3,276,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do NOT equate concerns over THESE vaccines with "anti-vaxxer" thinking. They are NOT the same thing, and by conflating the two, you're clouding your own perception of the issue and signaling that you don't even understand it.

It's about SAFETY. These vaccines have NOT been approved. They have NOT been through the same rigorous testing and certification required of every other previous drug or vaccine.

I have no problem with vaccines, generally. I do have a problem with people who see them as a means to exercising social or political power over others, and not the personal, private health care option that they objectively are.
Yeah for some this has always been a compliance game. The masks, the social distancing, the lockdowns, the reporting people for having backyard birthday parties, all of it. The vaccine is just the next step in that game, where you show your compliance not with largely useless symbols and gestures but by actually injecting something in to your body, by their command. It's most satisfying for them when you don't want to comply but are pressured or forced in to it.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,846,286 times
We all accept some risk every day all day -- driving a car, going upstairs, taking a shower....statistically all those things have some risk in them.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:59 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,494,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
But what so many anti-vaxxers don't know or appreciate, is that there is a national reason to get vaccinated even if you are at low risk for Covid 19. And that is to help reduce the size of the active viral pool. The larger and longer that pool exists, the more apt we are to encounter a viral variant that is either more virulent, or can bypass the current vaccines. So it is a patriotic thing to do, when you do what is in the best interest of your country!
As the OP stated we are getting played. Look at the chaos that has been caused among people.

The guilt trips are getting old. The drug companies aren't doing what is in the best interest of the country. Why no pressure on them? There is an opportunity to make the vaccine generic and available to all and they are fighting it tooth and nail.

They may be the biggest "anti-vaxxers" of all. They only support a vaccine when it brings them the most profit. Hardly patriotic, huh? They could reduce the viral pool world wide and refuse. No wonder some of us are suspicious. If this was really about saving people during a pandemic they wouldn't care about their patents.

PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY DISPATCHES ARMY OF LOBBYISTS TO BLOCK GENERIC COVID-19 VACCINES

https://theintercept.com/2021/04/23/...iver-lobbying/

Pfizer just released their profits today. NYT states its a record $3.5 billion in just 3 months. All the pressure in the US to get the shot isn't surprising at all. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by motownnative; 05-04-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,846,286 times
I see 'guilt trips' being pushed from both sides.

You are being played if you get the shot. You are being played if you don't.

Get it or don't.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 AM

21,722 posts, read 9,282,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As I keep saying, keep the political pundits out of your medical decisions. Talk to your doctor.
Even doctors were/are pressured by political forces. I spoke to my doctor about hydroxychloriquine and she said she wouldn't prescribe it. I know doctors were told by big companies not to. Sick because it worked.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 AM

33,511 posts, read 18,013,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Science says there’s a 98%+ survival rate, and that’s being conservative.

Science also says the vaccine has serious side affects and don’t know the long term affects from it.

Let’s just cut to the chase. Are you a doctor or scientist that knows more than doctors and scientists who have said this?
The other problem with this virus it is so contagious.. many more people get it so the numbers of deaths are high because of the number of cases. And this is with many people wearing masks and it is still spreading all over.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:13 AM

23,508 posts, read 23,847,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I see 'guilt trips' being pushed from both sides.

You are being played if you get the shot. You are being played if you don't.

Get it or don't.
It's much less likely that you're being played if you're on the "don't" side of things.

Not doing something unnatural isn't exactly a sign of having been manipulated, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies