Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I know plenty of families up in pudunk towns who are on some form of assistance.

They get buy by helping each other, watching each other's kids, sharing meals. AND they still hold down normal jobs at gas stations or grocery stores.

I am not for abolishing welfare.

But I am for pushing Family. The idea of parents and taking care of your aging parents. Staying home until you can really afford to strike out. And not even a Mom and Dad, at this point Anyone who actually cares.

Seems some want to dismantle the 'family' unit. Calling it a privilege and something to be ashamed of and resentful of.
I wasn't even talking about welfare. I was talking about people who have little to lose and don't care if they live or die. When did welfare come into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wasn't even talking about welfare. I was talking about people who have little to lose and don't care if they live or die. When did welfare come into this?
eh,..maybe I am getting my threads crossed. Sorry about that. My Bad, then.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
eh,..maybe I am getting my threads crossed. Sorry about that. My Bad, then.
I mentioned welfare on another thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...owe-black.html

Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
These white supremacists need to be stopped. Why did they show a picture of the man attacking? That doesn't fit the media machines message!

Old 05-04-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To be more specific, it's not that Maryland, as a whole, is a violent state. It's that Baltimore City is a very violent place. Large swaths of the rest of the state are pretty peaceful, overall.

Overall, Maryland had 542 murders in 2019. With a population of 6,045,680 in that year, the murder rate was 9.0 per 100,000 population. But it's nowhere near evenly distributed. Howard County, where I live, had 8 murders (a five-year high) in 2019. With a population of 325,690, the rate was 2.5 per 100,000. Nearby Baltimore City had 348 murders in that year (it's since gone higher); with a population of 609,032, its rate was 57.1 per 100,000.

Let those Baltimore numbers soak in for a moment. The city accounted for 64.2 percent of Maryland's murders, despite having only 10.1 percent of the state's population. Take out Baltimore and the rest of the state's murder rate drops to 3.6 per 100,000, which would put us on a par with Kansas. Worth noting, the United States as a whole had a murder rate of 5.0 per 100,000 in 2019.
Noted. Baltimore is where most of the violence is coming from. What this shows is that Baltimore has been a city that has been quite rough for a long time. It's not just something that happened in the era of The Wire or Freddie Gray. Baltimore has been rough since the 1960s, about the same time Baltimore went into deindustrialization. My point is that this is not a problem that happened overnight. It' goes as far back as the 1960s.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 2,673,519 times
black, drug addicted, unemployed, filled with hate, with no hope or care for the future..and that is our future..in every big American city..

Old 05-04-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
black, drug addicted, unemployed, filled with hate, with no hope or care for the future..and that is our future..in every big American city..
Drug addicted, unemployed, hateful, and having no hope, those are bad things to be. I do not see how being Black is a bad thing. Yes, I know he was Black. We all know it. At the same time, I am Black. I'm not him. You mention "this is the future for every American city". You speak of Black as if being Black on its own is a bad thing.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:20 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
That's another attack on Asian women by a black person in less than 24 hours. https://therightscoop.com/video-blac...s-of-new-york/

It seems to me there's been quite a few hate crimes committed by blacks against Asians the last few months. Don't want to bother posting but I've seen quite a few. It's really quite disturbing and troubling.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:33 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I read this, the only thing I get out of it is that you view Black people as fools. However, I feel the need to put up a rebuttal. If for no other reason, I think you're wrong.

First of all, maybe you need to go read up on people like John Kasich and Mike Huckabee. Both were Republican governors who garnered a decent-size Black vote. When John Kasich was running for President, he lost the Republican Primary, to Trump no less. Trump won the primary in Ohio, no thanks to the Black vote. Black people in the Republican Primary supported John Kasich far more than Trump. Kasich got 26% of the Black vote, while Trump got ZERO percent.

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/1233853...t-black-voters

The problem is that the national GOP doesn't do a good job at attracting the Black vote. Former governors like John Kasich and Mike Huckabee had no problem garnering a decent-size following in the Black population. However, it wasn't them who won the Republican Primary.

On a national level, Black people give very little support to Republicans. However, on the local level, that support varies. John Kasich and Mike Huckabee have done well among black voters. Brian Kemp, of Georgia, has done badly among Black voters. So you are wrong to say that Black people would never vote for a Republican. The issue is that on the national level, there isn't much appeal.

I think the problem is that you're unhappy with Blacks voting Democrat in large numbers. I think to you, it's a problem because of who YOU want in office, not out of any concern for Black people.
Nah, you are wrong. I hardly care about how blacks vote in Baltimore. It does not affect me whatsoever. I am just pointing out how a city can repeatedly do the same thing over and over even though it doesn’t work. That is the definition of stupid.

At some point, there is no one to blame for these failing cities but the people that live there. They have a choice to make changes but they don’t.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Nah, you are wrong. I hardly care about how blacks vote in Baltimore. It does not affect me whatsoever. I am just pointing out how a city can repeatedly do the same thing over and over even though it doesn’t work. That is the definition of stupid.
No decent Republican in the last 60 years in Baltimore has shown they can do better. This isn't stupid, it's choosing the lesser of two evils. The government in Baltimore has not done a good job, but not much better has come from the GOP, what little GOP there is, in Baltimore.

And I was talking about national patterns, and applying it on a local scale. You said Blacks would never vote Republican. I showed examples of some Republicans who did well among Black people. You are the one who is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies