Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:24 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
First of all I don’t discuss my personal medical information. Secondly it’s none of your dam business. And finally if you’ve been vaccinated why do care if I’ve been vaccinated. You have nothing to worry about if you believe Fauci, CNN and the view!

You complained just a few days ago about a situation where you can't pay mini wage to your employees and now you are asking why people are asking YOU before they let you in if you have been vaccinated and complaining about it. It's really time to close your business and look for a job you can handle other than posting on CD forum

Old 05-04-2021, 06:29 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I've asked my cleaning ladies, who come a few times a month, if they've been vaccinated. When all of them are fully vaccinated, I will take off my mask and they can take off theirs, in my apartment (my building has a rule for masks on in all parts except apartments). Otherwise, I insist that they wear masks while cleaning my apartment (I'm always there) and I wear a mask as well. They've had no objection.

People who aren't vaccinated can spread the virus to vaccinated people; though vaccinated people will probably not die of the disease, and the vaccine does give more protection.
Of course they've had no objection. There is a power differential here. If they are cleaning ladies they need to job to survive. They'll do whatever you say, which makes it all the more ugly that you are asking their personal information.

Have you asked them any other personal questions regarding their health? Like do they live with anyone who has TB, or has traveled to--or from-- another country where they might encounter it? Have they been vaccinated for flu, measles, and all the rest?

As if cleaning ladies aren't already treated like a lower caste, now people feel entitled to their personal information.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:39 AM

4,028 posts, read 2,713,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Surgery does not require bursts of exertion, it may be long in duration but the breathing effort of the person is consistent. Also, I was unaware surgeons and house cleaners were equally compensated.

I had to wear a gas mask in a combat zone while wearing a kevlar vest (this was back in the late 80's, they were heavier then), carrying 20 pounds of gear on my back, my M-16, and doing two hours guard patrol (constant marching) in a hot, tropical country. (And I'm female, at the time a size 8, so not a large one.)

How mean of the U.S. Army to insist I wear a mask under those circumstances.....and yet, somehow....I survived.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
I have been in surgical rooms where sweat is running down the faces of the medical staff in the room. There is more exertion than you apparently know about. They need to turn patients, apply pressure, pull tissue retractors, etc. It's not like standing there doing cross-stitch.
Here’s the thing, wearing a mask is an essential function of doing a job in the medical field. Every single doctor, nurse, and all the way down to the surgery tech knew that was part of the profession. Long before Covid and long after masking wearing is part of the job. They are trained to wear a mask and they have employer provided appropriate masks designed for the service they are providing. Not so for a cleaning lady, most of whom didn’t dream and aspire of one day being a cleaning lady but are doing it to eat. Yes, that does make a difference.

I’m sorry, once you are 2 weeks past getting your second vaccine you need to quit insisting others wear a mask. If you don’t get a vaccine at this point, it’s on you. Asking people to wear a mask is not like asking them to wipe their feet before coming in. While you may not understand it, because it doesn’t bother you, there are people who are just miserable with something rubbing their face, there are people who feel like they can’t breathe with something covering their mouth/nose, and there people who feel their voice is being muffled because they feel like that mask is a gag. Those folks have had to put up with it for public health reasons, that is starting to no longer be a legitimate argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I had to wear a gas mask in a combat zone while wearing a kevlar vest (this was back in the late 80's, they were heavier then), carrying 20 pounds of gear on my back, my M-16, and doing two hours guard patrol (constant marching) in a hot, tropical country. (And I'm female, at the time a size 8, so not a large one.)

How mean of the U.S. Army to insist I wear a mask under those circumstances.....and yet, somehow....I survived.
So did my husband. What I wrote above applies that your situation also. Oh, and that gas mask was to protect YOU, not someone who is already protected themselves.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Of course they've had no objection. There is a power differential here. If they are cleaning ladies they need to job to survive. They'll do whatever you say, which makes it all the more ugly that you are asking their personal information.

Have you asked them any other personal questions regarding their health? Like do they live with anyone who has TB, or has traveled to--or from-- another country where they might encounter it? Have they been vaccinated for flu, measles, and all the rest?

As if cleaning ladies aren't already treated like a lower caste, now people feel entitled to their personal information.
Thank you. Spot on.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:01 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
You and I must clean differently.
What I was thinking. Elbow grease.

Along those same lines... I have two runners on the track team that don’t take their masks off when we run. We were doing a series of eight 200 meter hill sprints. One of the girls came within a hair’s breadth of passing out. She didn’t lose consciousness, but she fell. I can appreciate them following their parents instructions or the fact that they might be worried about catching the virus themselves, but I don’t wanna be the one responsible for them having medical issues due to wearing a mask during intense exercise. I haven’t spoken to the parents yet. I’m trying to figure out how to tell them no masks allowed while we’re running that hard

Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Quote:
You and I must clean differently.
I'm with you...when I clean it's a low intensity cardio workout that would be unhealthy to do masked.

I agree that we should not require people to wear masks now that the vaccine is here to protect the individual. But people will claim, 'my house my rules' but that doesn't make it necessarily right, especially for people who lack the social/economic standing to refuse.

An alternative is for the homeowner to wear a tight fitting n-95 mask and open windows, and to avoid getting too close to anyone. When I had a refrigerator delivered in the height of the pandemic, I had every window open, wore the mask, and when it was time to sign, I did that outdoors. The delivery guys had their masks below their noses. Probably because they were lifting a refrigerator and could breathe better that way.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:11 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Then stop going to customers homes and stay home if you don't like being asked a simple question. Pretty easy solution??.
How much do you make? How many genders are you? Are you Gay? Are you a POC that happens to look White? What political party are you? What religion are you?

They're all OK too then, right?

Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 AM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I've asked my cleaning ladies, who come a few times a month, if they've been vaccinated. When all of them are fully vaccinated, I will take off my mask and they can take off theirs, in my apartment (my building has a rule for masks on in all parts except apartments). Otherwise, I insist that they wear masks while cleaning my apartment (I'm always there) and I wear a mask as well. They've had no objection.

People who aren't vaccinated can spread the virus to vaccinated people; though vaccinated people will probably not die of the disease, and the vaccine does give more protection.
Masks do nothing. You are falling for the placebo.

If you are relying on masks to not get the virus, you're going to be disappointed.

Also, if you are vaccinated, there is no reason to wear a mask. Snap out of it. Go back to being a normal human being.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:16 AM

25,440 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
First of all I don’t discuss my personal medical information. Secondly it’s none of your dam business. And finally if you’ve been vaccinated why do care if I’ve been vaccinated. You have nothing to worry about if you believe Fauci, CNN and the view!
They have that right. We don't let people in our homes without masks. No one has ever taken offense because they realize we are still in a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies