Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/us/so...rnd/index.html

The manager is in prison for 10 years. I hope the victim gets his $500,000.
" A black man who was forced to work"

Of course this is from CNN.

All I want to know is, how was he FORCED to work?

Did they keep him in a jail when not working? Did he have guard watching him every second?

There is much missing in this story, as usual from cnn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
You are the only one to use the word "slavery" so far! Also posted article does not mention of slavery at all!! Looks like you are blaming everybody but you are the only one who has some hidden agenda here
It says enslavement and the NAACP is looking into it.

I think it is slavery. Forcing someone to work that many hours and not being paid. It is worse than slavery. This man who did this to another human being is evil , pure evil and did it for 10 years. He knew what he was doing and he got away with it for much too long.

I wished the guy had come forward in the beginning but so many people have no support or are so afraid to do anything that they stay where they are and take much abuse.

They should have a hot line and it be well known for support to people. So many fall through the cracks and see no way out. It is a travesty what goes on and the evil that is done to others.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:05 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
You are the only one to use the word "slavery" so far! Also posted article does not mention of slavery at all!! Looks like you are blaming everybody but you are the only one who has some hidden agenda here

Well then what would you call it? The guy was kept from his family, physically and mentally abused and forced to work long hours without pay. That sounds like slavery to me. Prisoners have more Rights than that guy had.

Are you nervous that I called it slavery and the guy happens to be black?

What is this hidden agenda you think I have?

I'm only calling it what it was.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well then what would you call it? The guy was kept from his family, physically and mentally abused and forced to work long hours without pay. That sounds like slavery to me. Prisoners have more Rights than that guy had.

That is what I question.
I can understand the guy was mentally challenged, threatened, scared, probably brainwashed, etc. We have seen this in cases of kidnaping where the victim stays with their assailant. But this guy had family, he interacted with the public. Why was his family not concerned about his whereabouts, especially being mentally challenged.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:30 AM

6,109 posts, read 3,344,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What would you do, if you went into a diner and saw a guy who seemed not that bright bussing tables? And he was there every time you went to that diner? Would it occur to you he was working 100 hours a week and not getting paid?
I would find it very odd, if I went in for breakfast one day, and maybe a late dinner a few nights later and the same dude was always there, and then it kept happening.

But I’m mainly talking about other employees, and people who were close to the situation, neighbors, whatever. 100 hours a week is 16 hours a day, everyday.

This is the exact type of story that is put out by our so called “media organizations” to elicit an anger response. In many cases, major details are either not known, or were deliberately excluded.

I suspect there is much more to this story that isn’t being reported. The details will all come out eventually, but nobody will care, because we will all be onto the next outrageous falsely put together story.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:39 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Well that is terrible but this guy was "freed" in 2014, why is it suddenly a case of "slavery" now? Oh yeah everything is racist with its roots in slavery these days. Still how terrible to take advantage of a guy like that. You could understand how he might not have been paid as much since he was given a place to live in a nearby apartment but come on man this abuse and both involved should get what is coming to them.

Where was the black guys family all that time?
Quote:

Looks like you need to be reminded of what you said.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:12 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Looks like you need to be reminded of what you said.

I still do not understand your point? Are you agreeing with me or accusing me of something?

The man, that happens to be black was treated like a slave. The fact that everything seems to be driven by race and racist talking points these days makes this case a prime example for the Left to tout.

This incident came to an end in 2014 according to the article yet it has been given new life by someone and was picked up by the OP to talk about here.

Regardless of the vicitm being black it is a case of modern day slavery and it is good that the man is being compensated for his torture.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" A black man who was forced to work"

Of course this is from CNN.

All I want to know is, how was he FORCED to work?

Did they keep him in a jail when not working? Did he have guard watching him every second?

There is much missing in this story, as usual from cnn.
Do a simple google search, it’s on multiple sites.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:28 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It says enslavement and the NAACP is looking into it.

I think it is slavery. Forcing someone to work that many hours and not being paid. It is worse than slavery. This man who did this to another human being is evil , pure evil and did it for 10 years. He knew what he was doing and he got away with it for much too long.

I wished the guy had come forward in the beginning but so many people have no support or are so afraid to do anything that they stay where they are and take much abuse.

They should have a hot line and it be well known for support to people. So many fall through the cracks and see no way out. It is a travesty what goes on and the evil that is done to others.
" and the NAACP is looking into it."

Yep, the NAACP has to look into things that happen to COLORED people.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:37 AM

7,923 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" and the NAACP is looking into it."

Yep, the NAACP has to look into things that happen to COLORED people.
I just hope Lebron James doesn't hear about this. A "What? Now they keeping us as slaves?" comment by him could end with a burned down city or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies