Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 10:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, but, heart disease and cancer are not contagious and have mostly got to do with lifestyle issues once chooses to inflict on oneself.
Oh yes, we “choose” cancer by making all those bad lifestyle choices. Those damned three-year-olds with their pediatric cancers. I’m so sick of them.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:04 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Agreed. Survival of the fittest. They will only be giving it to each other in the not too distant future after everyone else cooperated. That should take care of things.
Survival of the smartest. Unfortunately this country is besieged with mysticism and superstition and irrationality. Not only that, stupidity is flaunted with pride and confidence and certitude. People wear their mental incompetence like a badge of courage!

Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
I'm fully vaccinated and now I could not care less if random people aren't masked. I'm protected. If they don't want to be, that's on them. My household is fully vaccinated, too. I do wear masks indoors in public because it's asked of me in most stores and such and because I'm not a whiny baby. If someone asks me to wear one, I do. Again, because I'm not a two-year-old.

I suspect that some people are just not happy unless they are miserable and have something to cry about. Seriously. I'm fairly shocked by the adults that I vaguely know who have tantrums over something as trivial as being asked to wear a mask in a private place of business or on an airplane or in someone else's home. Thankfully, none of my friends act like this... but then, I don't associate with people who act like toddlers unless they are, in fact, a toddler.

I know, who even knew this existed until this all went down.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oh yes, we “choose” cancer by making all those bad lifestyle choices. Those damned three-year-olds with their pediatric cancers. I’m so sick of them.
Marc I said "mostly." I would never blame a victim.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:31 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not me. I am happily and efficiently vaccinated, and want the controls gone and forgotten. Everyone is responsible for his own well being. Before the vaccine, I was pro-mask, because while it sucked, it was the best we could do. Now we have better: we have this amazing vaccine, which is showing itself to be a success. So let’s get rid of the controls and the masks. If an anti-vaxxer contracts covid, they did it to themselves and I frankly don’t really care.
TBH, I don't care if any stranger catches Covid. Everyone is like this, just some people have became insufferable and pretend to care in some attempt to guilt you into complying with regulations.

There was a funny news event out of Tampa a week ago. A mom, 7 weeks fully vaccinated, got Covid from her kids. Her husband, not vaccinated, did not, despite also being with the kids and with her in the same bed.

These vaccines have some effect, but they're not a magic bullet.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:50 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
We now have reliable evidence that the vaccines lower the risk of infection and transmission.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-Vaccines.html

"The study looked at the effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna mRNA vaccines in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections among 3,950 study participants in six states over a 13-week period from December 14, 2020 to March 13, 2021.

Results showed that following the second dose of vaccine (the recommended number of doses), risk of infection was reduced by 90 percent two or more weeks after vaccination. Following a single dose of either vaccine, the participants’ risk of infection with SARS-CoV-2 was reduced by 80 percent two or more weeks after vaccination."

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKBN2AJ08J

"Data analysis in a study by the Israeli Health Ministry and Pfizer Inc found the Pfizer vaccine developed with Germany’s BioNTech reduces infection, including in asymptomatic cases, by 89.4% and in symptomatic cases by 93.7%."

People with breakthrough infections after vaccination have a lower viral load and would be less likely to transmit the virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Heart disease and cancer are worse than COVID on the death tallies.
There have been days when the virus killed more than heart disease and all cancers combined. Does COVID-19 have to be number one to be considered significant? It is now number four.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...in-early-2021/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The vaccine lessens the disease. It protects you from severe symptoms/death. If you get the vaccine you can still contribute to the transmission of this deadly virus during a pandemic. It seems in pretty much the same way an asymptomatic person can.
See the links above. Evidence is accumulating that the vaccines do reduce infection and transmission, not just symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Please stop spreading misinformation.

Your link even explains that your proclamation is wrong.

I am really scratching my head that there are so many truly clueless people.
The link shows that vaccination reduces transmission. How do you think it is wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm just repeating what was said here. I have heard what you are saying, but am skeptical on pretty much everything. There is just too much misinformation, and it all seems to change weekly. In the circle of people i know that got it, two ended up with covid a couple of weeks later, one ended up in the hospital, and one died.
The evidence is that the vaccines greatly reduce the risk of hospitalization and death. The longer after vaccination, the better the protection.

Did those two people stop wearing masks and socially isolating? How soon after vaccination did they develop symptoms or test positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Please explain how all the Orlando theme parks as well as all the other supportive businesses in the area along with an international airport have been open almost a year ... and no outbreaks?
Orange County, FL has had 137,000 cases and 1,252 deaths. It's all one big outbreak and Orlando is affected, too.

Tourists who got infected and went home were counted in their local county stats. Since contact tracing is pretty much nil there is no way to know how many of those people there are.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:37 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"Have You Had the Shot?"

I have been asked quite a few times, I always answered. It's a fair question from concerned people.

Questions like that only bother sociopathic jerks.
Your thought process and judgmental attitude is a perfect example of what is wrong with today's society.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:43 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Did those two people stop wearing masks and socially isolating? How soon after vaccination did they develop symptoms or test positive?
The two were a married couple. The husband works from home, the wife does not. I'm am not sure of their mask usage, and I don't think they were strict social distancers. Not sure on the time frame for the husband, he got vaccinated first, but both contracted it within two weeks of her being vaccinated.

As far as the individual that died, he was a friend of a friend and I don't have any details.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:45 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Your thought process and judgmental attitude is a perfect example of what is wrong with today's society.

COVID-19 is a disease which can be lethal to some people. The question is 100% valid and appropriate.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:58 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Something wrong with answering, "Of course I have." ?

Let the questioner justify his own failure to get the vaccine. Not that it's a big deal - it's his body. If he doesn't want to get it, that won't affect the people who did get it. He's only putting himself in danger. It's his choice.
Not true. Vaccine skeptics put our collective freedoms and health in jeopardy. It is due to these people that we have to live in fear of resurgences, reimposed restrictions, and more variants. For the love of your country if not for you and your family, get the shot!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies