Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 01:26 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
You just gave a great example of how pathetic your reasoning is.

Your link said "welfare" includes "Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, Social Security."

Medicare and Social Security are benefits for people who have retired. Retired people aren't receiving those benefits when they could be working in a factory.

As for the other two, more than 1/3 of US manufacturing workers receive some sort of public assistance!. So there are a whole lot of people in the US actually, physically working in factories who receive Medicaid and Food Stamps anyway! That should give you an idea of how attractive factory work is.

Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 01:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The absurdity is that my local pub is having to close two days a week. Not because of lack of business, but lack of workers. The owner was showing me texts from other local restaurant owners closing 2-3 days a week, and as of today, two restaurants closing indefinitely because they cannot find employees.

The sushi restaurant a few blocks away has lost 70% of its staff due to government benefits. One of the best beach restaurants in the Emerald Coast no longer opens for lunch, because they cannot find employees.

When you don't have to pay rent and can collect federal funds for sitting on your ass, why bother?

Oh, but the day of reckoning is coming.....
My favorite bar closed last summer, possibly permanently. No more choice of 36 beers on tap. But I've stayed out of bars since last summer, so it didn't matter much. Covid cases skyrocketed last summer shortly after bars and restaurants were allowed to reopen.

My favorite Mexican restaurant has help wanted signs out, but did before the pandemic. If restaurant workers still have to wear masks, as they do here, I'm not surprised some don't want to go back. Perhaps some have found better jobs by now. The state unemployment rate here is 4.2% as of March, so a lot of people are back at work.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
For those who think all those immigrants are going to take jobs away from American citizens, think again.

American factories are desperate for workers. It's a $1 trillion problem
That's what happens when the government sends out several month's worth of pay to a guy that makes $11/hour. They tend to not show up for work. Blame this one on Joe Biden.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:28 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's what happens when the government sends out several month's worth of pay to a guy that makes $11/hour. They tend to not show up for work. Blame this one on Joe Biden.
For, I believe, the 7th time. Or at least the 6th:
Quote:
As the article noted, this is not a new problem.

I've been reading about this problem for almost 20 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Actually, the problem predated the pandemic… if you bothered to read the article…

Old 05-05-2021, 01:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Not only that. They want well trained and highly skilled professionals in every field. Naturally such people are hard to find. Most are already employed or self employed. I remember in the past companies like IBM investing a lot in new recruits. They had extensive training programs. Today companies expect candidates to be experienced and knowledgeable. There is zero willingness to invest in order to bring the new recruits to the level they require.
Then, an effective manager with an MBA comes and tells workers, "The government is shutting down our factory, everyone is fired! Come back in 2021."

In 2021, the effective manager complains, "We can't find workers."

Old 05-05-2021, 01:44 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:

Your link said "welfare" includes "Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, Social Security."

Medicare and Social Security are benefits for people who have retired. Retired people aren't receiving those benefits when they could be working in a factory.

As for the other two, more than 1/3 of US manufacturing workers receive some sort of public assistance!. So there are a whole lot of people in the US actually, physically working in factories who receive Medicaid and Food Stamps anyway! That should give you an idea of how attractive factory work is.

Not.
Medicaid, food stamps, and Biden's extended unemployment benefits are not retirement benefits.

From your link:

Quote:
That manufacturing employees make about the same as retail workers on average is surprising to many. But as companies have been off-shoring more and more of these jobs to Mexico, China and other low-wage countries, fewer manufacturing jobs are unionized, and even the unions have negotiated lower wages in many cases in exchange for keeping jobs in the U.S.
The Globalist policies of offshore cheap labor are part of what is killing wages in the US.

The bottom line is that more than half of Americans are receiving more federal benefits than are paying in. And the Democrat policy is to continue that expansion. When that benefit reaches the point where it competes with wages that are artificially driven down by policies, people will no longer want to work. And that is exactly what we are seeing today.

If the benefits dry up, people will go back to work.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Anecdotal evidence I ordered a couch from (nice store name here). The last time I spent a lot of money there the salesperson was able to find me a discount code. This time I was told they were too far behind and suspended doing that. 5 months out for a couch.
Is it Crate & Barrell?
It doesn't have any coupons. In fact, hardly any furniture store has coupons now.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:38 PM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:

Not.
I always take the position that it is absolutely wrong that someone could be gainfully employed yet still require welfare. If you are employed and still need welfare to live, it's the business that benefits, not the worker. The government is essentially subsidizing businesses that pay poverty wages, by paying the remainder of the salary a worker should receive.

Instead, the government should tax companies that pay less than say, $15 an hour, to discourage companies from taking advantage of government welfare.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I always take the position that it is absolutely wrong that someone could be gainfully employed yet still require welfare. If you are employed and still need welfare to live, it's the business that benefits, not the worker. The government is essentially subsidizing businesses that pay poverty wages, by paying the remainder of the salary a worker should receive.

Instead, the government should tax companies that pay less than say, $15 an hour, to discourage companies from taking advantage of government welfare.
The country didn't cease to exist, nor stop functioning before welfare existed.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:07 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Is it Crate & Barrell?
It doesn't have any coupons. In fact, hardly any furniture store has coupons now.
Close, West Elm. Basically saying were going to charge you guys more so you stop ordering so much stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies