Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Do you realize what you are asking for OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 08:24 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Actually it is time to abolish the federal government. The typical person in, say Idaho or Wyoming, has about as much in common with someone in NYC, DC, or LA as they do with someone in Paris, France or Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It's time to end this bad "marriage" and go our separate ways. Why force two peoples who hate each other to "live under the same roof"? If this forced marriage continues it is going to end very badly. It's already an abusive relationship. Let's not allow it to become a violent relationship. Dissolve the union and allow the 50 independent states to realign with other states (or not) as the peoples in each state sees fit. As for Washington DC, strip it of any authority and set it up as a completely separate kingdom--it's a toxic kingdom and should not be allowed to align with anyone.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Do you realize what you are asking for OP?
Yes, the only way to save America.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The typical person in, say Idaho or Wyoming, has about as much in common with someone in NYC, DC, or LA as they do with someone in Paris, France or Buenos Aires, Argentina.
As someone that lives in a large city (ATL), skies in Wyoming, and has visited Buenos Aires, Argentina, I can tell you that this statement is completely and totally delusional.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:30 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The federal government can work as it does to keep the system in balance.

But no more stepping stone positions for ambitious politicians, corrupt/superPAC funded campaigns, slavery to multinational corporations, and idiot people thinking they know what is best.

We need magistrates on a local level who are put in their position for hereditary reasons but are banned from engaging in business or leaving their locality or inheriting wealth to their children.

Educated people who know what is going on, not silly school councils or city governments. Also no more mayoral campaigns, they should be selected from a general consensus by knowledge people who have a family name worth something.

Old money people and the such. They also have to have historical ties to the place and an understanding of the cultural values of that city. No transplants get a say in any of this.
It's impossible to abolish something that never existed in a first place.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
It's impossible to abolish something that never existed in a first place.
No, again, there is a good amount of democracy at the state and local level. I do agree with the OP on that.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, again, there is a good amount of democracy at the state and local level. I do agree with the OP on that.
I know. Have you seen school boards or city councils?

An amalgamation of selfish parents, village idiots who misuse funds, political opportunists who want to work their way up into the big leagues, corrupt campaigns for mayor or other positions funded by corporations.

Everything good about this country wiped clean as big organizations take advantage of this structural weakness and turn people against each other.

No more I say; people with class and sophistication who trickle down culture of substance and don't engage in business practices should keep power.

The more educated populace will get a say, just not through any official capacity. Federal government can stay a republic while governors are chosen by a consensus of local leaders.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:44 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Abolish democracy for an oligarchy of “old money people”? Are you high OP?
OP may be...or just lives closer to the Himalayas than we do.

Some countries literally have 100k employees that do nothing but post garbage on the web after all.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
As someone that lives in a large city (ATL), skies in Wyoming, and has visited Buenos Aires, Argentina, I can tell you that this statement is completely and totally delusional.
And I lived in Peru for a time. At this point I'd feel a closer kinship with the Peruvians than I would with folks in the cesspools of America (DC, LA, NYC, etc).

As for the situation right now here in the US, I feel absolutely nothing for the area outside of my four or five state region (that are loosely homogeneous politically and socially). I have very little in common with areas beyond--they may as well be Turkish or Mongolian as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't care if an alien world grabber came and vacuumed about twenty or more of our states (AND DC) from the face of the planet and plopped them down five galaxies away where they couldn't dictate the goings on in my region.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-04-2021 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP may be...or just lives closer to the Himalayas than we do.

Some countries literally have 100k employees that do nothing but post garbage on the web after all.
Our country is doomed if we do anything else.

Do you love America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies