Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 01:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You still aren't getting it, you aren't looking at the big picture. If the labor force declines the SS recipients will also decline due to attrition.

No, the SS recipients of the next Generation will decline. The SS recipient of the current Generation will receive benefits from a labor force which is smaller than the one of which the Current Generation of SS recipients was part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 01:41 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
It has affected SS in a way that it may soon run out of money if no changes are made.

How Social Security invests its money – and why it may run out of cash really soon
So it hasn't.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So it hasn't.
Not, yet. But it will eventually.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:44 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So it hasn't.
Outlays have not declined yet, but it's a certainty that they will in real dollar terms. There is no use in arguing that social security will somehow escape the demographic problems that were hatched years ago, and are continuing now.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:44 PM

182 posts, read 94,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
declining economy? LOL. Our economy has done better year after year, there no "decline". We might have a year here and there that goes negative on GDP, but the next year or two erase it. No, what youre seeing isnt our "economy declining", it is the share of it being more concentrated.

Wow. Im not even going to attempt this one. Oh noes the women wont sleep with yous! Yay! More for me!
Inflation and a high GDP doesnt mean a good economy. I would take the economy of the 50’s anyday over this one. Cheapest home in my area ranges around 300K, and its off the market in 15 days with a cash offer. I make 28hr and work 60 hr weeks (manufacturing) to bring in a decent living. Factor in inflation, I would be making roughly 50-60 an hour for my trade. Cost of living has gone up, but the wages stagnated.

Your last comment just proves my point. Women who want marriage and commitment don't want men like you. Ironically, youre all that is left for a urban progressive woman. A man who is happy that there are more women to sleep with! Enjoy! I have found happiness in other things.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:45 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
We have always needed, and always will need, more immigration. Immigrants are the backbone of our culture and economy.
Why would you say this?

My parents are immigrants and they don't add to American culture, they make their own bubbles to live. That destroys national unity.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:47 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Said everyone during every time period in my memory. In the 1980s it was "who would bring a child into this world under the threat of nuclear war?" etc etc.

You conflating divorce....and pregnancy.
I suspect its more about people having smaller families.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ily-in-the-us/

And the cause for that is simple. Its expensive as heck to raise children, and rising inequality is putting the squeeze on people who want to have children, but economically cant afford too.

Large families that really can drive growth require a parent to be in the home as well. I raised 8 kids, and have 2 under 18. My partners have pretty much never had to work outside of the home because its a ton of work in the home.

VERY few people can afford this.

Go back in time and it was common for 1 person to work, and a wife at home taking care of the kids. Today? If you have 1 kid you might still be able to work and make money. but once you hit 3-4 its beyond most peoples financial abilities.

Basically. It turns out that making people poorer while all the growth goes to the richest of us has negative side effects to our economy. Our inequality will kill this country. Just as going too far the other way would.
Relatives of mine bought a small row house in San Francisco in the late 1950s.

In the 1970s, they were paying 6k per year for Catholic school tuition for 3 kids, and their house payment was $50 per month (not a typo, and, I imagine, both fixed and the original loan they had obtained a few years after his military service).

That same tuition is now just under 85k per year, and if someone bought that house now and put 20% down, the loan amount would be over $1.5 million.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Housing costs have skyrocketed. In my area, the 2 bed/1.5 bath condos I was looking at have increased 30-50K in 6 months. Daycare costs have skyrocketed. In my area, it's over $2000 a month for an infant.

You need an income well into the 6 figures to be able to comfortably afford children if you want a house and to be able to save a conservative 15% for retirement. In a year where there's such disparity between the have and have-nots, is it any surprise that people aren't having children?
It’s the opposite reason as to why people are choosing not to have children. Affluence is a bigger factor in the choice of family sizes.

Quote:
Income and high birth rates are strongly linked, not just in the United States, but around the world. Women in lower income brackets tend to have higher birth rates across the board.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ome-in-the-us/

Seems odd until you think of it in a survival-of-the-species way. Parents with resources can almost guarantee their offspring will live a full and long life but for those with little resources it’s a crapshoot. Gotta get that genetic material into the gene pool.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556senditTX View Post
Inflation and a high GDP doesnt mean a good economy. I would take the economy of the 50’s anyday over this one. Cheapest home in my area ranges around 300K, and its off the market in 15 days with a cash offer. I make 28hr and work 60 hr weeks (manufacturing) to bring in a decent living. Factor in inflation, I would be making roughly 50-60 an hour for my trade. Cost of living has gone up, but the wages stagnated.

Your last comment just proves my point. Women who want marriage and commitment don't want men like you. Ironically, youre all that is left for a urban progressive woman. A man who is happy that there are more women to sleep with! Enjoy! I have found happiness in other things.
I don't think greywar disagrees with you on your first point. Just like he said, the economic growth rates are smaller today than in the 1950s but the gains are much more unequally distributed compared to back then. By the way if you want to know were the 27 USD per hour went which you are not getting compared to the 1950s look no further than the management of your cooperation and its shareholders.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:07 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Those things do not happen at the same time.
The labor force has been declining since 2000. How has the decline over the past 20 years affected social security benefits today?
What was the causes for previous deficits in SS funds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies