Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:00 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I call complete and utter BS on this story.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/polit...ket/index.html

I googled Orlando, FL and there are TONS of server jobs there including IHOP.

My relatives there say most things are open and that their restaurants and beaches (other parts of FL lol) are packed.

But hey, making 75% of pay and staying home is better than 100%.
No one is making 75% of their pay at home in Florida, DeSantis ended the program already. A huge issue is lack of young people in those areas who would work those jobs. Many of these beach areas have 0 industry, higher cost of living than more inland or same as the larger Florida cities that have more opportunities, and do not treat employees well.

Florida has a ton of Tourist beach areas like Panama City that have 0 industry outside of tourist and the young folks are moving away from there. And parents encourage their kids to move as the job prospects outside of being a cook, server, or retail worker are extremely low. These places do not need a ton more HVAC guys or electricians for tourist that do not stick around or buy property. It is a old, out of date economy in Florida.

At this point Florida is the place you move from when your young and return to when you have made your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 10:57 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Once the extra pandemic assistance ends, many people will have to go back to work.
There's about 3.5 million people on unemployment, but 10 million job openings, so that will help but not completely.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:16 PM

860 posts, read 438,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
No one is making 75% of their pay at home in Florida, DeSantis ended the program already. A huge issue is lack of young people in those areas who would work those jobs. Many of these beach areas have 0 industry, higher cost of living than more inland or same as the larger Florida cities that have more opportunities, and do not treat employees well.

Florida has a ton of Tourist beach areas like Panama City that have 0 industry outside of tourist and the young folks are moving away from there. And parents encourage their kids to move as the job prospects outside of being a cook, server, or retail worker are extremely low. These places do not need a ton more HVAC guys or electricians for tourist that do not stick around or buy property. It is a old, out of date economy in Florida.

At this point Florida is the place you move from when your young and return to when you have made your money.
Apparently you don’t have any experience with Florida. I live there. There is a huge shortage in HVAC technicians, huge. Used to be able to get service same day or next day. These people are booked now, why? Can’t find anyone to hire. This has been going on for at least a year. I have a couple dozen homes there so I am very experienced with HVAC issues. The last complete change put I needed last year and typically can get scheduled within a week took six weeks. Had to bring tenants a used unit which they installed so they could survive the nest while they waited. Needed an electric panel change out. My electrician can typically always take care of me quickly. He is booked at least eight weeks out for anything other than emergencies. All I can say is I’m fortunate to have a personal friend who is a plumber. They are all short of qualified or even unqualified help….nobody even willing to train who will show up on time or can pass a drug test.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:29 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Offer UBI and people will sit on their cans even if they can earn twice as much actually working. Which will torpedo the economy.
That's right. And now, with the payments to dependents starting in mid-July, you'll see even more deadbeats sitting on their cans, waiting for their next check.
What a program.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:43 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Apparently you don’t have any experience with Florida. I live there. There is a huge shortage in HVAC technicians, huge. Used to be able to get service same day or next day. These people are booked now, why? Can’t find anyone to hire. This has been going on for at least a year. I have a couple dozen homes there so I am very experienced with HVAC issues. The last complete change put I needed last year and typically can get scheduled within a week took six weeks. Had to bring tenants a used unit which they installed so they could survive the nest while they waited. Needed an electric panel change out. My electrician can typically always take care of me quickly. He is booked at least eight weeks out for anything other than emergencies. All I can say is I’m fortunate to have a personal friend who is a plumber. They are all short of qualified or even unqualified help….nobody even willing to train who will show up on time or can pass a drug test.
I live in Florida and I am aware. If this issue started over a year ago, and it takes 9 months to finish tech school that would mean this issue started over 2 years ago and now is just more apparent. What I am getting at is 2 years ago is well before "Free Money" was floating out there as stated by many in the thread.

I agree with you that there is a shortage but that shortage was not driven by free money but was driven by something else that has been ongoing for at least 2 years. I don't know what it is but it not simply free money. That was my only point.

What we see in the economy cannot be explained by "Free money". There should be workers in the pipeline training. Tech schools in my area (Tampa Bay area) are always full and have waiting list, what they do after they finish or how many finish? That I do not know.

People are going to technical school, that has not changed for years in this area, not sure about the entire state.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:49 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
it's been a great time to get into work, hustle, maintain a good attitude show what's you worth. If you want a job, you can have a job, those not working at this juncture are the dullards and the lazy.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
those jobs sound like hard work, that's so 20th century.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:53 PM

860 posts, read 438,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I live in Florida and I am aware. If this issue started over a year ago, and it takes 9 months to finish tech school that would mean this issue started over 2 years ago and now is just more apparent. What I am getting at is 2 years ago is well before "Free Money" was floating out there as stated by many in the thread.

I agree with you that there is a shortage but that shortage was not driven by free money but was driven by something else that has been ongoing for at least 2 years. I don't know what it is but it not simply free money. That was my only point.

What we see in the economy cannot be explained by "Free money". There should be workers in the pipeline training. Tech schools in my area (Tampa Bay area) are always full and have waiting list, what they do after they finish or how many finish? That I do not know.

People are going to technical school, that has not changed for years in this area, not sure about the entire state.
I apologize for making that assumption. You are right in that the problem has been building but I noticed it got particularly bad starting around last summer. As older folks retire the trades will be hurting more and more so COVID may have had some impact but there are other factors involved as well. I don’t believe it has to do with people moving out of state. Especially if HVAC is your trade.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:16 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
lmao at people thinking a few checks is all it takes to stop people from working.

Just because a few places can’t fill dishwashing or bus boy positions doesn’t mean people are lazy.
Explain why positions aren’t being filled, some restaurants here are closing early and even a couple of days a week because they can’t fill more positions and trying not to overwork their staff, there is a shortage of nurses, hospitals are stretched, our business use to get ton of people asking for job applications and now barely, ours isn’t the only company having that problem. There are jobs available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies