Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 07:03 AM

72,891 posts, read 62,412,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I was a Boy Scout. We had shotgun and rifle merit badges of which both I earned.

https://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-sc...erit-badge.asp

https://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-sc...leshooting.asp

It was years ago but I recall it being a very good experience. Think of it as a gun safety class tailored for the age group.
Correction, I was in Cub Scouts. It's technically a branch of the Boy Scouts of America. I was just on the first level. We never did anything with guns when I was 8 or 9 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 07:04 AM

15,054 posts, read 10,054,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Gun ownership is a right.

Driving drunk is illegal.
I am all for responsible gun ownership. Grew up around them both in home (responsibly) and also exposed to it when others carried illegally... I certainly want people to have the right to protect themselves.

The constitution is a living document and can be amended. It is not set in stone.

My concern is that if we keep repeating "it is a right" thereby ignoring the problem we have in the US, at some point that right can be removed. I understand peoples' passion for gun ownership/rights but sentiments like this isn't really helping the cause.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:05 AM

19,190 posts, read 17,002,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yikes, clearly you don’t know what the word “disproportionate” means.

It means we blacks are 14% of the population so we cannot commit more than 14% of the mass shootings in America, but we do. That’s why it’s called disproportionate.
I do know what it means and you said "mass shootings" which my response is correct...

Old 05-07-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
100% agree with you. Sadly, people try to make everything racially motivated and created divides.

Also, people need to stop guessing at motivation.

Imagine if the gal wasn't bullied but instead had a more selfish motive and you're posting in here about bullying while the shooting victims lay in hospital beds.

Holy ADD Batman, people just can't wait for reality.
There are many things in which race is a factor. This particular shooting is not one of them. Why people were bringing race into this, well, I have my theories as to why.

Back to the shooting. The girl who committed that shooting did something horrible. I wasn't even going to talk about the bullying. I just wonder what kind of 11 year old would do that. I also starting thinking about the parents. What kind of parents does she have?

Old 05-07-2021, 07:21 AM

22,635 posts, read 24,509,277 times
Not saying the shooting was justified or the right thing to do.......but many times those who get
shot in these scenarios had it coming.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:32 AM

8,100 posts, read 3,426,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
How old is 6th grade?
Depends on how many times a child has been held instead of promoted. Usually it's eleven or twelve years old.

Sixth grade is usually middle school, not elementary school.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:38 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,707,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To me, this isn't about race or the 2nd Amendment. This is about some parents not doing their job, and a child who is basically a psycho.
Agreed. This has "Parenting FAIL !" written all over it. Keeping personal firearms secure in a gunsafe is necessary. But that goes back to the parents.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Agreed. This has "Parenting FAIL !" written all over it. Keeping personal firearms secure in a gunsafe is necessary. But that goes back to the parents.
And it is parenting that needs to be brought up. I find it sad and rather surprising that parenting was not the first thing brought up.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 AM

8,100 posts, read 3,426,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Keeping the guns locked up in a safe renders them useless during a break in. It leaves people unable to defend themselves.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:47 AM

15,054 posts, read 10,054,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To me, this isn't about race or the 2nd Amendment. This is about some parents not doing their job, and a child who is basically a psycho.
Yes I would also be interested to understand the child's home environment, parenting, and how she obtained the weapon.

However, my town experienced a tragic suicide of a girl of similar age a year or so ago. From what I can tell and hear (small town), the parents and home were pretty normal. They were good parents. However, this girl was bullied in school and everyone let her down.

We have to understand that parents are not the only figures in a child's life that mold and influence. Schools, teachers, town are all influencing factors. A child growing up in a bad neighborhood (as I did early on) is has the potential to get thrown off track no matter how good the parenting is at home.

My feelings is we don't empower bullied children to come forward and support is lacking. If bullying is a primary factor in this girls actions, its not just the parents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies