Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 07:51 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Keeping the guns locked up in a safe renders them useless during a break in. It leaves people unable to defend themselves.
The manner of how one secure a weapon in their own home is a personal choice.... period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Unlikely that she was black. Idaho is one of the places that white people are moving in increasing numbers for safety.
Oh the irony of it all.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yes I would also be interested to understand the child's home environment, parenting, and how she obtained the weapon.

However, my town experienced a tragic suicide of a girl of similar age a year or so ago. From what I can tell and hear (small town), the parents and home were pretty normal. They were good parents. However, this girl was bullied in school and everyone let her down.

We have to understand that parents are not the only figures in a child's life that mold and influence. Schools, teachers, town are all influencing factors. A child growing up in a bad neighborhood (as I did early on) is has the potential to get thrown off track no matter how good the parenting is at home.

My feelings is we don't empower bullied children to come forward and support is lacking. If bullying is a primary factor in this girls actions, its not just the parents...
For a child to get to the point of suicide -- there is more than just bullying at school.

There is the child's character or mental health.

Depression is not easily diagnosed in anybody. It is not easily treated with meds, therapy, love and attention.

I have known of people who commited suicide that had all the infrastructure you would think of to have the support they needed....and they persisted and finally succeeded. They weren't bullied, they weren't under attack but they FELT that way. It was their way of looking at their lives.

So not all kids who commit suicide are unusually bullied. BUT those kids may be predisposed to mental health issues and so for them what one of us may dismiss -- they may internalize. And how do parents see that -- sometimes even 'experts' can't.

This child was obviously troubled. It's tragic.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:04 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Keeping the guns locked up in a safe renders them useless during a break in. It leaves people unable to defend themselves.
No **** ? An no one is saying they have to be locked in the safe 24/7, they should be though, if ones child is left running around the house. Or use one of the night stand biometric safes.
Firearms ownership entails a lot of responsibility, firearms ownership with children around requires even more.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that if you choose to own a gun to protect yourself from someone maybe coming into your home, you can't secure it and keep it away from children.

That's important.

For years gun owners have proudly boasted that they can keep their guns secure from kids and still be used for protection.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:11 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For years gun owners have proudly boasted that they can keep their guns secure from kids and still be used for protection.
And those gun owners would be correct. Just because this one random internet person can't seem to figure out a way to safely secure a firearm but yet still have it reasonably accessible in a time of need obviously doesn't talk to the larger population.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
And those gun owners would be correct. Just because this one random internet person can't seem to figure out a way to safely secure a firearm but yet still have it reasonably accessible in a time of need obviously doesn't talk to the larger population.
The person I cited in my post seemed to suggest that it can't be done.

I am just learning as I go.

I suspected that many of you folks would see things differently.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:21 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
What was a sixth grader doing in middle school? Where I come from, middle school (used to be called jr high) is 7th and 8th grade.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:22 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
What was a sixth grader doing in middle school? Where I come from, middle school (used to be called jr high) is 7th and 8th grade.
FYI, when I was in school when dinosaurs roamed the earth (1960's), I went to middle school(SoCal) in which the grades were 6th, 7th, and 8th.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
And today 6th - 8th are part of middle school especially when you get away from the North East areas, I also attended Junior High for 7th/8th but that was another century...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies