Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 10:02 PM

17,410 posts, read 13,189,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And would have never backed down.

Me too. Some are. And I respect them for it.

Even Bill Mahr is coming around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXTUSP9a9M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 10:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 965,468 times
I agree with him.

I just wonder what would Richard Pryor, Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin and other late greats would say about it.

Probably... F--- yall if yall don't like it!

Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,253,557 times
I wonder why Youtube hasn't deleted Benny Hill's videos yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYd4T9XQrc

Old 05-10-2021, 04:04 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,184,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Eastbound & Down is 8.2 on IMDb, and Vice Principals is 8.0, and McBride does the most socially reckless characters on TV.
Is either one of those still in production? It's been a bad couple years for white comedians, politicians, news personalities, sports figures, etc... but not so bad for black comedians, politicians, news personalities, sports figures, etc.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:41 AM

19,131 posts, read 16,957,052 times
I remember several years ago when Jerry Seinfeld said he would no longer do College Campus tours because those kids are humorless, everything is offensive to them..... sad.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 AM

78,005 posts, read 60,193,878 times
There are a couple still plugging along but you have to understand that for many, it's not like one misstep and you lose your career entirely, just the ability to get a bigger gig or to have colleges not let you perform out of "sensitivities" and that doesn't even begin to include false accusations like the gal that tried to retroactively remove consent months or years after having sex with Ansazi (spelling).

At least in her case she got lit up somewhat on social media, but that hasn't stopped him from suffering a lot of professional damage.

I think that it's somewhat jumped the shark at this point and is in decline. The surge of #metoo and every single thing being racist tends to die down when there isn't some sort of backing to make it a thing (politics is often a significant contributor).

P.S. Comedians that never gave 2 effs and whose material reflected that are somewhat unfazed but for comedians more of the Seinfeld or Jeff Dunham stylings (as opposed to Chapelle or Burr for example) have to be a lot more careful.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 AM

1,925 posts, read 686,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are a couple still plugging along but you have to understand that for many, it's not like one misstep and you lose your career entirely, just the ability to get a bigger gig or to have colleges not let you perform out of "sensitivities" and that doesn't even begin to include false accusations like the gal that tried to retroactively remove consent months or years after having sex with Ansazi (spelling).

At least in her case she got lit up somewhat on social media, but that hasn't stopped him from suffering a lot of professional damage.

I think that it's somewhat jumped the shark at this point and is in decline. The surge of #metoo and every single thing being racist tends to die down when there isn't some sort of backing to make it a thing (politics is often a significant contributor).

P.S. Comedians that never gave 2 effs and whose material reflected that are somewhat unfazed but for comedians more of the Seinfeld or Jeff Dunham stylings (as opposed to Chapelle or Burr for example) have to be a lot more careful.
You make it sound like it is nothing, things will be fine at the end. It is just not true.
start from 22:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Old 05-10-2021, 08:49 AM

8,896 posts, read 2,934,546 times
Liberals have ruined Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:36 AM

4,289 posts, read 1,538,807 times
Comedy is always of it's time, and always will be. It moves with the times, unlike Billy Crystal who hasn't been funny since the 1980s.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:40 AM

52,000 posts, read 52,442,799 times
Comedians are sort of our cultural canaries so to speak. If they lose their ability to say what they want and self-censor, we're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies