Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 10:50 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, I may have been discriminated against and I'm a white male, but that don't mean that others weren't. I don't get why people think that people should have the ability to create a hostile environment at work by telling people you shouldn't think your experiences aren't real and made up. Yeah, imagine that for a second if you aren't seeing that in this thread.
How have you been discriminated against? Do you want me to comment on it or do you simply want to be heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:54 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
I do actually like going to Disney and there are several. A co-worker of mine is there right now and I'm going in a few weeks. I think your Geneva Convention comment is hyperbole and way off-base. And don't get me wrong, I am not a blind Disney fan-boy. I do complain about things and do say Universal Hollywood is awesome. Then again I'm a movie guy and complained about Great Movie Ride closing down in Disney Hollywood Studios Park...

The food is ok to great, depending where you go. Disney has made some leap and bounds into food in the last five years. Namely Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. The fast-food personal pan pizzas are entirely meh and pizza by the slice is over-priced. The burgers I think you need to get specialized. The hot dogs are hot dogs are hot dogs and I'd suggest like the burgers, getting specialized. I'll be in Disney World this time next month and the last time I made it a point to get only one burger the entire trip and did it. This time due to a few more sitdown reservations, I'll be doing less quick service options. Sitdown service is better, but often times gets a little more expensive than they should be, especially the buffets (some are worse than others.) Disneyland IMHO has been better at variety than Disney.

My family has no young children at the moment. For Disney World, I wouldn't take a child under 8. Enough that you can walk them. This means they can and should be able to ride most, if not all rides and not be too old for most.

I lived on Long Island so going to the ocean wasn't that much of a splurge. I didn't like Jones Beach. Point Lookout and Lido were better local beaches. Jones is too tourist.

I've been to a few national parks and it ain't me. Niagara Falls is just a falls. It is a see it and you're done. Unless you want to go on a boat. Grand Canyon is interesting, but I don't value as much as going to a Disney park.

I haven't been internationally, but want to go at somepoint and not just to the international Disney parks...

Honestly, I don't knock where people go to vacation. It is their money and what they want to do, is up to them. I don't get why you have to act like a total vacation gate-keeper.
The highlighted words says it all.............

Old 05-08-2021, 10:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How have you been discriminated against? Do you want me to comment on it or do you simply want to be heard?
I actually posted two or so cases about this. One was mentioned here. Another has been mentioned previously about being a white person asking a black person to follow policy of the location like a black person wouldn't ask them or I wouldn't equally hold a white person to the same policy...

Old 05-08-2021, 11:01 AM

424 posts, read 175,796 times
My family loves going to Disney. We are in Florida, so it's not a long drive and we get reduced pricing. We also travel to other parts of the USA as well as abroad. My husband and I are fortunate in that we both have a lot of PTO. Our kids are adults... I'd say a good third of the people you see there are not with young children (or any children). It's a happy, clean place and you get a bunch of exercise walking around looking at the interesting things to see and do. I don't really go on the roller coasters anymore, but I do like some of the tamer rides. Great place for a long weekend if you live nearby. I don't think I'd make that my big yearly trip if I didn't live nearby, though. A couple times, sure, but not like every year.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I actually posted two or so cases about this. One was mentioned here. Another has been mentioned previously about being a white person asking a black person to follow policy of the location like a black person wouldn't ask them or I wouldn't equally hold a white person to the same policy...
I see what you're saying. I think that kind of things does happen. Ive seen it a few times myself but I recognized it came from a place of pain so it didn't really land on me.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:04 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Ive tried to make men understand what its like to be female and have to walk with your keys between your fingers in case someone tries to attack you walking to your car. That's a lived experience.
Exactly. Our experience is our experience and no one gets to judge that.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Of course not.* But that’s what Disney is saying here - that blacks can emote about whatever they want, as it relates to how bad whites have been, and the white being forced to listen cannot speak.

These conversations have no place in the office (or park).

* I did have one horrific experience at the hands of blacks about 15 years ago - I was rescued just as the attack began - but I would never talk about that at work. And I certainly would never start complaining about that to an innocent black man who had nothing to do with it, and demand he listen and keep his mouth shut.
I do have to wonder how many of these conversations will actually take place. I can't see it happening in any workplace really.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:08 AM

I can give an example of sexism being used where it wasnt a case of sexism. Some woman was giving a lecture on inclusiveness while wearing a $1000 Gucci belt. That didn't go unnoticed by the subordinates making 15 an hour. When her choice of clothing was pointed out it was labeled sexism. Talk about tone deaf.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
The highlighted words says it all.............
What a great informative post this is. As I said, I would never take small children to Disney World. I didn't go until I was 8 and Disneyland I didn't go until I was 20. I was just old enough to go on rides and appreciate it and walk for an entire day. That said, Disneyland I think is far more more young child friendly, even if there are as many non-child friendly rides. It is just smaller and hotels aren't a hike back and forth with transportation.

As for the national parks, it just isn't me. Now let me say this, the canyons at Chinle I thought were cooler than the Grand Canyon. I had fun there but wouldn't go again because it is linked to my ex (Chinle, not the Canyon.) I just enjoy nature, but it isn't fun to me. I need more excitement.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I think that kind of things does happen. Ive seen it a few times myself but I recognized it came from a place of pain so it didn't really land on me.
The biggest problem is that you are singled out for enforcing the policy and that you are the racist enforcing it. There is no real response and you can't exactly drop rope and let someone else handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies