Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 08:27 AM

10,091 posts, read 7,763,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Why can't we require people to work in return for the government "benefits" they receive?
I agree. They should be required to do some community service or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Bull -- 7 years our city has been reporting a shortage of workers.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:24 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,081 times
And as was mentioned earlier, none of the whining has actually been supported by labor numbers. If people were truly being paid to stay home, the national unemployment rate would not have plummeted like it has since the start of the pandemic. We were at 14.8 and as of April we were at 6.1 (and the U6 rate has seen a similar drop). But do carry on with the ridiculous talking points not supported by anything but your cherry picked examples that pigeonhole to the lowest wage earners in the lowest paying states.

And having people underemployed is a terrible idea (so no, I don't want someone working a lower wage job just because some of you can't handle them receiving unemployment). In the end, that will hurt the economy as you will be reducing the overall spending power of the individual. It is better for that person to be focusing on a job at their skill level. Not to mention, that is not a good match for that employee or employer, and really has very little benefit to either.

Last edited by dicipher; 05-10-2021 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 AM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
No, I want to be a productive member of society. Shocker, right?

Besides, I could never retire. It's what keeps me sane. Keeps my mind off things I rather keep locked away. Too much idle time makes my mind race.
Work provides a sense of structure and well being in many ways. I took an extended hiatus from work a few years ago and realized at the time the value of work. It provides you a routine and I knew at the time that it was temporary but it made me wonder how I'm going to do in in retirement. I'll have to make sure to have more hobbies or maybe work part time. Not sure yet.

Hopefully the freebie money will dry up soon and it will sort of force people's hand to get back to work. I've been lucky in that the pandemic never bothered me or my industry in general. Restaurants, bars, gyms, and retail really took a beating.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Cool. So why are these jobs unfilled then?
maybe the owners are actually verifying their legal status?

Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
A one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn costs more than $2,000 per month. Odds are the people flipping burgers where you live can't afford to buy them. I just thought I would point that out.

It is time employers paid a living wage.
so, let's just say the apartment is $2K/month. And in order to be a "living wage", then housing shouldn't exceed 30% of income (this is the definition of affordable/not).

You want the {insert low-skill job} worker to get paid $80K a year. At least in Brooklyn, DC, San Fran, LA and Seattle, to name the most prominent.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
In my state UI is capped at $362/wk. Add in the $300/wk Fed money and that's a whopping ~$31K/yr.

People working jobs making $35-40K/yr typically can't afford to just choose to take a 10%+ pay cut.

Unemployment kicker payments from the Fed Gov are not the root cause of this issue.
In East Lansing, the median individual income is $21K, median household is $40K.

so yes, the "median" individual worker in EL is getting a heckuva lot better deal until September to sit at home.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
In East Lansing, the median individual income is $21K, median household is $40K.

so yes, the "median" individual worker in EL is getting a heckuva lot better deal until September to sit at home.
Yeah, imagine a bunch of low paying service jobs in a college town. Who woulda thunk?

Old 05-10-2021, 01:44 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
If someone can do better being in unemployment which isn’t great rather than working a job that pays them well enough, maybe you should be looking at those businesses rather than constantly sneering at the workers or the government. How pathetic is it that employers don’t pay their employees well enough that the employees rightfully make the decision to use unemployment? Think people. Just quit the knee jerk moaning & use your brains & think about that.

Old 05-10-2021, 02:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/bu...O5OIafpMv3QZ3M

STICKER SHOCK! CNN’s New Day Admits Inflation Fears Are Legitimate: 'It’s Coming'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies