Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 03:01 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times

Advertisements

When this first happened (Friday May 7?), I thought it was potentially disastrous IF they didn't get the pipeline going again within a matter of hours, maybe one day max. Now it's 2 days, and nobody seems to be freaking out. Maybe they'll get it going today, in which case the impact will be minor.

But if they don't get it going in the next several days, how could it not be a MAJOR disruption? Half the fuel that usually goes to the eastern seaboard, cut off?

Seems to me this could have a bigger economic disruption than COVID-19 was. If one week from today the pipeline isn't flowing again, will it be the Arab Oil Embargo of the 1980s all over again... or worse? At least the weather is warming up. But... many gas stations closing ? Fuel rationing? 5 gallons per fillup? Oil-fired electrical utilities asking (telling?) us to cut our electrical consumption in half, or more? Many trains and plane flights getting cancelled?

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more concern over this pipeline shutdown. From what I've heard, it's not the software that actually controls and runs the pumps etc. It's more the software that does the accounting, monitoring, and other computer functions. They just shut down the pipeline itself, "just in case". (Is this correct?)

Of course, if they get the pipeline going again in the next day or two, most of that won't happen... except rising prices.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:16 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When this first happened (Friday May 7?), I thought it was potentially disastrous IF they didn't get the pipeline going again within a matter of hours, maybe one day max. Now it's 2 days, and nobody seems to be freaking out. Maybe they'll get it going today, in which case the impact will be minor.

But if they don't get it going in the next several days, how could it not be a MAJOR disruption? Half the fuel that usually goes to the eastern seaboard, cut off?

Seems to me this could have a bigger economic disruption than COVID-19 was. If one week from today the pipeline isn't flowing again, will it be the Arab Oil Embargo of the 1980s all over again... or worse? At least the weather is warming up. But... many gas stations closing ? Fuel rationing? 5 gallons per fillup? Oil-fired electrical utilities asking (telling?) us to cut our electrical consumption in half, or more? Many trains and plane flights getting cancelled?

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more concern over this pipeline shutdown. From what I've heard, it's not the software that actually controls and runs the pumps etc. It's more the software that does the accounting, monitoring, and other computer functions. They just shut down the pipeline itself, "just in case". (Is this correct?)

Of course, if they get the pipeline going again in the next day or two, most of that won't happen... except rising prices.
Colonial found out they had a cyber incursion - it did not effect pipeline delivery, but they did not know exactly what it did effect. They shut down the pipeline so they could be sure it was not under attack.

It could have been a test - we know that Critical infrastructure like this is a Prime Target of our Enemies (both .Foreign & Domestic). A few days won’t matter, there are plenty of Storage Tanks of fuels in the effected areas.
A week probably is a different story.

Just a tiny little reminder to all the Leftist Texas haters ..... pay a little bit of attention to where the fuel that runs things comes from, study those Pipeline Maps. For instance - .Texas refines the gasoline, diesel and Jet Fuel that keep California, New York and the upper Atlantic Coast operating.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:

Sherwin Williams are sending people home because they have no paint to mix. According to them it is because of the hard freezes in Texas and surrounding areas. There’s a lag is what I’m trying to get at. Let’s hope for the best but plan for the worst is how I try to prepare.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:00 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
"Consider this: Most US refineries are between 50 and 120 years old, with the average age right about 40. Even the “newest” US refinery with capacity to produce more than 100,000 barrels per day dates to 1977.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I am sure they have a regular maintenance schedule.
The refining of petroleum is not a simple process, and many of those among us with even a limited familiarity with the industry know that the process can be "fine-tuned" to adjust to changes in demand -- be they seasonal, long-term, or simply a temporary interruption. When I worked around a major refinery (Sunoco-Philadelphia-not directly employed) back around 2009, something was always under construction, as improvements continued to be made in the refining process. I suspect that not much remains of the original infrastructure.

Security was tight, even for outside contractors, and the nature of the product itself made safety a top priority, and methods and options for the accumulation, refining and distribution of the throughput have expanded since all of us were shaken out of our complacency back in the early Seventies.

So I'm not going to push any panic buttons.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-09-2021 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 05:07 PM

929 posts, read 304,131 times
Quote:

“ Never let a crisis go to waste”

Accident or not, this fits right not the wheelhouse of Progressive Democrats. That may the reason for a lack of concern. If you are driving an electric car that they want you in, you can keep driving regardless of a pipeline.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:23 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
“ Never let a crisis go to waste”

Accident or not, this fits right not the wheelhouse of Progressive Democrats. That may the reason for a lack of concern. If you are driving an electric car that they want you in, you can keep driving regardless of a pipeline.
That’s great until you get a flat tire and tires aren’t available, oh and electricity.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Default Cyberattack Shuts Down Pipeline , Meaning Higher Gas Prices.

A cyber attack has shut down a major pipeline on the east coast and they do not know when it will be up and running. This will hamper our economy. As if we need this now. This must be putting a big smile on Biden's face now. He doesn't like the idea that millions of Americans drive gas driven cars whether they are democrat or republican or independent.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cyberattac...ry?id=77573904

Old 05-10-2021, 10:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
A cyber attack has shut down a major pipeline on the east coast and they do not know when it will be up and running. This will hamper our economy. As if we need this now. This must be putting a big smile on Biden's face now. He doesn't like the idea that millions of Americans drive gas driven cars whether they are democrat or republican or independent.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cyberattac...ry?id=77573904
Why do you think it would make Biden Happy? Both he and Obama have been very proactive on pursuing Cybersecurity protection under the IEC62443 global standard (written by a USA based company, and managed in the USA, I know first hand). The US has a global leadership role in this.

Trump would be the one salivating. He did little for protecting our infrastructure, and he deregulated, which might allow his supercontributors to profit from charging higher prices, even though the gas at the pumps won't be affected for more than a week.

Intersted to hear why you think Biden will be happy, he is for lowering emissions, but you can see, he has a higher priority of getting the economy and COVID back on track after Trump.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:06 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why do you think it would make Biden Happy? Both he and Obama have been very proactive on pursuing Cybersecurity protection under the IEC62443 global standard (written by a USA based company, and managed in the USA, I know first hand). The US has a global leadership role in this.

Trump would be the one salivating. He did little for protecting our infrastructure, and he deregulated, which might allow his supercontributors to profit from charging higher prices, even though the gas at the pumps won't be affected for more than a week.

Intersted to hear why you think Biden will be happy, he is for lowering emissions, but you can see, he has a higher priority of getting the economy and COVID back on track after Trump.

Fact is we all know the left loves their EV.. and Biden already shut one pipeline down.. first day in office.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:06 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times
Gas prices fluctuates, doesn't matter who is President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies