Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 12:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I appreciate your thoughts. I feel precisely the same way. We heard about the pipeline issue last Saturday when everyone else did, and sufficiently prepared for approximately two weeks time. Like everyone else we need gas for our cars. Additionally, I live on a small farm. We need gas to make things work here. To mow pasture. To operate equipment. When I hear of an event that could create a shortage I prepare for it. Seems natural.

At the end of the day we had no shortages in Central Texas. I have robbed zero people of their opportunity to fuel up. Despite this reality I have this person utterly melting down on me, and it’s just ridiculous to see grown adults behave this way.
Hang on for a sec...your tone talking about how much gas you bought in fear of losing out didn't strike a tone of -- we got what we needed to get work done this week.

You even were going to gas up that Mustang just to get some more.....lol.

For those that live in North Carolina and can't get anything right now -- it rubs the wrong way.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:36 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How long do you think you can store gas? Hint..not as long as it takes the mice to get into the hoarded TP.

Have any of you idiots ever heard of a supply chain or even basic consideration for others?

My point was her hubby and people like him ran out and made a temporary problem worse.
That's her business.

It their minds, people should be preparing for the worst and stocking up. That's how they think. Others don't think that way. She probably thinks others are crazy for not stocking up ahead of time.

We are a free people. We are all different. It's going to be OK.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:37 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
By all means, stay pompous and snarky.
I think I shall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Your message is that I should care how you live and should modify my behavior to suit what's best for you. That's a mistake. I don't care. Stop whining.
Wait - didn't you just act as if pomposity and snarkiness were sort of - bad?

Old 05-13-2021, 12:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's her business.

It their minds, people should be preparing for the worst and stocking up. That's how they think. Others don't think that way. She probably thinks others are crazy for not stocking up ahead of time.

We are a free people and people freely chose to panic and hike up the demand for gas at a time when the distribution of gas was being obstructed.

If everyone just got what they needed....there would be little to no shortage.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:43 PM

Nothing like a supply crisis to bring out the people who consider it some sort personal insult if anyone as much as hints that they live in a society.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:43 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hang on for a sec...your tone talking about how much gas you bought in fear of losing out didn't strike a tone of -- we got what we needed to get work done this week.

You even were going to gas up that Mustang just to get some more.....lol.

For those that live in North Carolina and can't get anything right now -- it rubs the wrong way.
It’s more than a tad creepy that you, a complete stranger to me, are attempting to calculate my fuel needs here with this bit. The internet may have given you Google, which makes you a genius I’m sure, but it hasn’t given you a glimpse into my personal life. You aren’t entitled to those details.

And yea, I DID top off my ‘66 Mustang. And I’ve driven it several times since. Quelle horror!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To them this is an outrageously anti-social statement. One that should be rebutted with shaming, shouting and labelling. It used to be just a basic American tenet.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:44 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Rationing would have been a very good idea. Let people who commute to work get the gas they need, and based on how far they drive, allow more fill ups when necessary

If one attendant can come out and yell through his bull horn that they only have premium gas left, then he has time to make sure that people aren't filling up DRUMS in the back of their trucks, 10 containers of gas, like someone caught on camera, etc.

People who just 'want' to have extra gas lying around, nope, sorry. You get what you need, not what you want.

Delivery drivers, all of them, not just food drivers, but all of them, in addition to those who also drive a lot of miles for their work, should have been allowed to get enough to continue working.
During World War II, when gasoline conservation was a nationwide imperative, such a system as you're describing was implemented. The government decided that certain types of workers needed to be allocated "X" gallons of gasoline per week; certain others needed "Y" gallons per week, and so on. And they issued ration coupons that would grant them that much, but no more. Was there some under the table trading of those ration coupons going on? Probably. But overall, the system worked as intended.

But that was then, when job descriptions tended to be much more straightforward than they are now. In this day and age, do we trust the government to decide what each of us needs? If my job is deemed more essential to the national economy than yours is, then I get more coupons. But what if I can work from home, while you need to drive 12 hours a day? Is it fair that I get allocated a bunch of coupons that I don't need while you have to try and buy some under the table just so you can keep your job?

Really, the only way to do a "fair" system of rationing, absent an insane level of governmental intrusion into our driving habits and needs, is simply say that everyone gets "Z" amount of gallons per day (or week), period. This may mean that you have to gas up two or even three times a day instead of once; but at least you'd probably find open gas stations when you needed them.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If everyone just got what they needed....there would be little to no shortage.
We're dealing with people to whom consideration and empathy is weakness. They cannot fathom the world in any other terms than either giving it or getting it. Cooperation or mutual benefit? That's just signs of someone not taking full advantage of their position.

One wonders what the world did to them.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:48 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I appreciate your thoughts. I feel precisely the same way. We heard about the pipeline issue last Saturday when everyone else did, and sufficiently prepared for approximately two weeks time. Like everyone else we need gas for our cars. Additionally, I live on a small farm. We need gas to make things work here. To mow pasture. To operate equipment. When I hear of an event that could create a shortage I prepare for it. Seems natural.

At the end of the day we had no shortages in Central Texas. I have robbed zero people of their opportunity to fuel up. Despite this reality I have this person utterly melting down on me, and it’s just ridiculous to see grown adults behave this way.
I agree with you. I'm trying to cut Three Wolves some slack, because it's obvious that she (I think she's a she) is under stress. And if she drives 12 hours a day and lives in an apartment, there really isn't much she can do to prepare for a gasoline shortage. But still, I'm not responsible for her situation, and neither are you. We need to do what we need to do to meet our own needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies